Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Adapter (coming this winter)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$1000 is actually pretty reasonable considering what's involved in building one of these adapters. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if there were any places to plug it in around here... I think there might be one station I can access.

TM has already updated the description to alleviate confusion about the charge rate: "Take advantage of CHAdeMO’s network of 50 kW charging stations by enabling onboard hardware and purchasing an external adapter. CHAdeMO stations charge at the rate of approximately 150 miles of range per hour of charge with locations primarily in the Pacific Northwest."

That's great news! It just went from a maybe to a definitely for me with that change in wording.

Yep, at 150 miles of range per hour (can we use "mrph" to abbreviate that?), this is now in the 'maybe' category for those of us in the Pacific Northwest.
At only 70 mrph it was a definitely no for me.

I would think that if you're in the pacific northwest and like to do roadtrips it's a no brainer. Anywhere else it would definitely depend on specific circumstances.

I would think that if you're in the pacific northwest and like to do roadtrips it's a no brainer. Anywhere else it would definitely depend on specific circumstances.

The reason it is still only a "maybe" is that we already have really good coverage with Superchargers and 70-80 amp HPWCs and J1772 locations.

From Seattle, there are already Superchargers that cover North/South on I-5 to get anywhere from Vancouver BC to way down south of Portland. And by Winter the entire West Coast will be covered by Superchargers.

Going east from Seattle on I-90, the Ellensburg WA Supercharger should open up most of the trip to Spokane WA near the Idaho border. There are no CHAdeMO chargers that would expand upon the Tesla Supercharger network.

In the few areas that are not covered by Superchargers or CHAdeMO, the Northwest EV clubs have installed 70-80 amp J1772 chargers in strategic locations (Port Angles WA, Winthrop WA, etc). There is no CHAdeMO DC coverage in those areas that would improve upon the 70-80 amp units.

So for me personally, I would have to consider if there is any additional
CHAdeMO coverage that would make the $1,000 worthwhile. It might be worthwhile, but not sure yet. At 150 mrph it is worth it over the 70-80 amp units. At 70 mrph it was not worth it. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
The reason it is still only a "maybe" is that we already have really good coverage with Superchargers and 70-80 amp HPWCs and J1772 locations.

From Seattle, there are already Superchargers that cover North/South on I-5 to get anywhere from Vancouver BC to way down south of Portland. And by Winter the entire West Coast will be covered by Superchargers.

Going east from Seattle on I-90, the Ellensburg WA Supercharger should open up most of the trip to Spokane WA near the Idaho border. There are no CHAdeMO chargers that would expand upon the Tesla Supercharger network.

In the few areas that are not covered by Superchargers or CHAdeMO, the Northwest EV clubs have installed 70-80 amp J1772 chargers in strategic locations (Port Angles WA, Winthrop WA, etc). There is no CHAdeMO DC coverage in those areas that would improve upon the 70-80 amp units.

So for me personally, I would have to consider if there is any additional
CHAdeMO coverage that would make the $1,000 worthwhile. It might be worthwhile, but not sure yet. At 150 mrph it is worth it over the 70-80 amp units. At 70 mrph it was not worth it. Just my opinion.
You are only considering the 'travel' part of potential trips. The reason I would have bought this even at 25kW (and definitely will buy it at 50kW) is that it opens up a lot more options for charging at your destination - or maybe I should say "near my destinations".
If you go to plugshare and use the 'more options' to only display CHAdeMO chargers you'll see that this gives you broad coverage all over Western Oregon and Washington. Yes, I've done trips to Sunriver where I then charged at the 110V over night - but being able to quick charge at about 50% of supercharger speed at all these locations is a major benefit. Now going up and down the coast becomes much more feasible as well.
Definitely a yes for me.

And yes, I know - the situation may be very different for others. I'm just trying to point out that superchargers mostly cover the travel part, not the on-location part.

And yes, I know - the situation may be very different for others. I'm just trying to point out that superchargers mostly cover the travel part, not the on-location part.

That is a good point. I did the Plugshare filter on only CHAdeMO chargers and I can definitely see the value. I just signed up for my AeroVironment EVNet Network today. I will likely get the CHAdeMO adapter down the road, especially if they expand the network beyond WA/OR.

100% going to get this - this opens up a lot of the Oregon Coast and the aforementioned "where to charge once having reached destination" dilemma. I would more than happily rent this out or go in on a small group buy with some other N. Seattle folks. Boo-yah!

... looks weird though.

$1000 is actually pretty reasonable considering what's involved in building one of these adapters. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if there were any places to plug it in around here... I think there might be one station I can access.

Superchargers will cover 99% of the current DC fast charging in 3...2...1 (ok, maybe not that fast, but pretty fast). I'm happy to wait.

DC fast charging USA.PNG

100% going to get this - this opens up a lot of the Oregon Coast and the aforementioned "where to charge once having reached destination" dilemma.
Good point on the Oregon coast. This past spring I spent 3 days on 120 volts at Seaside because there is nothing else except a Cannon Beach RV park that charges a full rental for a charge. There is a CHAdeMO at Astoria and Cannon Beach .

I guess I'll spring for it. Let's see - various adapters and extension cords, the $650 Roadster adapter, $1,000 for the CHAdeMO..............

But, the fuel is cheap - I think.

Now time to get the Midwest Level 3's working. Have to lurk in the Leaf forums to see if any updates. Not had my Leaf for 7 months and back then most of them were not functional.
Anyone here have any updates on the FBI investigation regarding 350green?

From April 2013.

Electric car charging station project on hold - Chicago Tribune

Chicago's car charging feud: Companies battle in court over who should takeover stalled Chicago project - Page 2 - Chicago Tribune

Looks like everyone's bitchin' and have to resolve their differences by end of 2013.

And local Whole Foods have had "Coming soon" on their level 3's for over a year.

While I would get the adapter, it's no value if the network isn't there.

Attachments

• whole_foods_chademo.jpg
    whole_foods_chademo.jpg
    920.1 KB · Views: 628
Last edited:
I think the CHAdeMO adapter is a far bigger news for EU and JP. The difference of 11kW/22kW vs 50kW charging is significant especially considering the relative lack of superchargers right now and in the coming years. I still hope that at some point Tesla will cover the via Baltica through poland to Germany as that's also one of the possible routes Finns would take to europe. But if they don't having a CHAdeMO adapter is for sure good, still hope that the LV and LT colleagues build up at least some infrastructure, this way I could easily visit those countries with my coming MS.

I think the CHAdeMO adapter is a far bigger news for EU and JP. The difference of 11kW/22kW vs 50kW charging is significant especially considering the relative lack of superchargers right now and in the coming years. I still hope that at some point Tesla will cover the via Baltica through poland to Germany as that's also one of the possible routes Finns would take to europe. But if they don't having a CHAdeMO adapter is for sure good, still hope that the LV and LT colleagues build up at least some infrastructure, this way I could easily visit those countries with my coming MS.
Indeed, agreed.

The highway network in Europe is also a lot denser then in the US, so having a SuperCharger on every route is nearly impossible.

For example, driving from my home to Berlin (700km) allows me to take 3 different highways. One route will get a SuperCharger, but the other two already have CHAdeMO.

So yes, for me this is great news.

Superchargers will cover 99% of the current DC fast charging in 3...2...1 (ok, maybe not that fast, but pretty fast). I'm happy to wait.

I wish the Super Chargers will ever cover that much. If you are driving straight through and don't plan on turning off I-5 or 90, I guess you are fine but as soon as you start planning trips along the Oregon Coast, or over the mountains in WA etc, every bit of fast charging opens up the options. Folks visiting Seattle or Portland for instance, for an extended stay, will soon be able to drop by a CHAdeMO station and get a fill up quickly, significantly opening up their choices of hotels to stay at and freeing up their time to enjoy touring around. Add wind, Rain, Snow and Cold, as well as a down super charging station and the benefits of all those extra CHAdeMO stations will become very clear, IMHO.

Since we've given up gas completely and the nearly 200,000 gas stations that go with it, I wouldn't mind having more than a few hundred Super Chargers. I'm looking forward to trips in more remote areas that are less dominated by the need to charge.

Maybe the 'approximately 70 miles of range per hour' was a typo or a mistake as they start off by saying you can take advantage of the 50kW chargers not 25kW chargers.

Look like it was a typo. Tesla updated their website and changed it to 150 miles of range per hour. I will definitely buy this CHAdeMO adapter because there are a lot of CHAdeMO charging stations in Texas.

"CHAdeMO stations charge at the rate of approximately 150 miles of range per hour of charge with locations primarily in the Pacific Northwest."

Sometimes I don't think Tesla's right hand knows what the left hand is doing.

When they bundled the dual chargers with the HPWC, the rational I received was that the HPWC was the only place the dual chargers were useful. Hogwash. There are 70 Amp Roadster HPCs, a bunch of CS-90 J1772s up in Canada, and soon the CHAdeMO will be available.

Sure glad I opted for the duals when I configured, even though as an apartment renter, they are useless for home charging.