Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Adapter (coming this winter)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It should be available at the same time as Japan launch expected in April, we have 1900+ CHAdeMO chargers here and many L2 chargers with J1772. As Tesla doesn't currently have a schedule for J1772 adapter for EU spec cars, and Japanese outlets are limited up to 200V 20A (4kW), future Japanese Model S owners will depend on CHAdeMO adatpter.

If no CHAdeMO adapter in April reservations in Japan will all be canceled :)

It is officially announced here in Japan that CHAdeMO adapter will be a default option for Japanese Model S, whuch will start delivery from June 2014 if confirmed by the end of Feb. Hope it will be ready by that time or even before in Europe.
I also learned that HPWC for Japan will also be available. Considering Japanese limited home charging options (up to 20A allowed for plugs, home J1772 EVSE not common), Tesla mde a smart move. I guess this is the same version for Europe?

I received this email from Tesla today...
Thank you for contacting Tesla. I reviewed our email history and the waitlist and do not see anything for the CHAdeMO adapter. I added you to the list now.

We do not have a firm launch date for the CHAdeMO. The latest I have heard is an estimated availability in the April/May time frame.

Regards,
Hugh

C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

http://shop.teslamotors.com

Seems like they are walking back the delivery date month by month.

I haven't followed the store website closely, but just noticed now that the CHADeMO adapter pictures are different that they used to be. Is that a recent change? Might be an indication that they have finalized design and will start production soon.

I haven't followed the store website closely, but just noticed now that the CHADeMO adapter pictures are different that they used to be. Is that a recent change? Might be an indication that they have finalized design and will start production soon.
They removed the picture with the car, but I believe both of those pictures were already on the site a long while back (you can see both in this article below).
http://www.treehugger.com/cars/tesla-unveils-chademo-adapter-50kw-model-s.html

Extending type 2 cables is not recommended. Or as we say in Germany verboten. Two reasons:

So the EVSE cannot compute a current capacity from the resistor values of two cables in series. BTW I don't know if the 2nd resistor would be in parallel to the 1st or not detected by the EVSE at all. The result could be too high current.

2. When you connect two type 2 cable plugs to each other there is no mechanical lock engaged. Since the connectors require little force to pull out, you could break a life circuit at 3x32A. Considerable arcing would result.

From my understanding, both reasons are not correct. In case 1, if the T2 plug that is plugged into the EVSE has the correct resistor, that is all the EVSE looks at and so will supply the correct power according to the value of that resistor - cable length, or extensions on the other end will not be relevant. In reason 2, if the extension cable is disconnected in the middle, as the CP pin is shorter than all the others, this will disconnect first and will shut down the EVSE before the main power conductor pins disconnect. Ergo, no arcing etc. MW

From my understanding, both reasons are not correct. In case 1, if the T2 plug that is plugged into the EVSE has the correct resistor, that is all the EVSE looks at and so will supply the correct power according to the value of that resistor - cable length, or extensions on the other end will not be relevant. In reason 2, if the extension cable is disconnected in the middle, as the CP pin is shorter than all the others, this will disconnect first and will shut down the EVSE before the main power conductor pins disconnect. Ergo, no arcing etc. MW

The issue with the resistors is that the EVSE will only see the resistor in the cable closest to it (or will not see resistor at all if the EVSE has a tethered cable). Hence if the cable closest to the EVSE is (say) 32A and the cable being used as an extension is 16A, then the EVSE will signal 32A to the car and the 16A cable will get overloaded. These cables are only 4-core (or 6-core for 3-phase): the PP pin does not have a wire in the cable and is just connected to a resistor internally to the plug - there will be no paralleling or series connection of the resistors). Only the CP pin connects to the corresponding pin at the other end.

With standard cables/connectors, the safety issue is avoided by the fact that the connectors will mate but the PP/CP pins are made shorter and won't connect - hence no charging can occur at all.

It is possible to construct a special cable with the right connectors so that everything does connect - but in this case some electronics is needed to solve the safety problem. There was a discussion in a different thread some months ago about how this might be achieved.

The issue with the resistors is that the EVSE will only see the resistor in the cable closest to it (or will not see resistor at all if the EVSE has a tethered cable). Hence if the cable closest to the EVSE is (say) 32A and the cable being used as an extension is 16A, then the EVSE will signal 32A to the car and the 16A cable will get overloaded. These cables are only 4-core (or 6-core for 3-phase): the PP pin does not have a wire in the cable and is just connected to a resistor internally to the plug - there will be no paralleling or series connection of the resistors). Only the CP pin connects to the corresponding pin at the other end.

Which is why the JLong J1772 extension cord passes through all the signals, including pilot and proximity and the cables are built to handle 40 amps minimum. It's safe for use in a virtually all public charge stations and safe to use end to end.

Kia Installs First 100 kW CHAdeMO DC Fast Chargers In Europe
great, now we just need someone to try this with the Model S and the ChaDeMo adaptor and see how fast we can charge (when available)
as I recall Tesla do not charge at 500v but at 400v resulting in 80Kw (400v*200a = 80Kw)
well it is still faster than the regular 50Kw stations (400v*100a = 40Kw)
so now the big question what is the Adapter rated at 100a or 200a

Kia Installs First 100 kW CHAdeMO DC Fast Chargers In Europe
great, now we just need someone to try this with the Model S and the ChaDeMo adaptor and see how fast we can charge (when available)
as I recall Tesla do not charge at 500v but at 400v resulting in 80Kw (400v*200a = 80Kw)
well it is still faster than the regular 50Kw stations (400v*100a = 40Kw)
so now the big question what is the Adapter rated at 100a or 200a

An 85 charges at 360-375 Volts at the beginning when it can accept a high rate of charge. 400 Volts is only at the very end, well into the taper. I don't know where V*A and taper will cross, but you should be able to start at 72-75 kW with 200 Amps on one of those CHAdeMO's. That's still pretty good!

Somewhere, I heard that the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 200 Amps, also.

I wonder what one of those Kia 100 kW CHAdeMO's costs.