TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Chademo Adapter For Model 3

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikeva, May 31, 2018.

1. mikeva

mikeva Member

Any idea if its gonna released soon? I tried to search for it online and seem to find nothing . Where I live in downtown there is a fast charger chademo just across the street from me :(

2. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

It does not exist

3. Bushcaddy

Bushcaddy Member

I’m hoping it will be available soon, I need it for my commute.
    The only reliable option for me while I’m at work is Chademo.

4. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

I have heard that it needs modify charging hardware at car. So with delivered car, it may never happen.

5. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

It will happen, just as it did with S and X. It my be delayed until deliveries to RHD countries begin (Japan is heavily CHAdeMO) but I'll wager sooner mostly because of Canada.

6. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

Technically no modification need for car itself with S/X, then the matters only adptor hardware and car software upgrade via air.

But I have heard for 3 , the car itself charging circuit need to be modified. That s why I doubt for existing car , it will ever happen. If that’s the case, we at least need bring the car back to service to get it fixed. But certainly it should not be under warranty item.

7. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

Funny, I heard it could be software enabled on the 3. There was supposed to be an update, but I don’t know if it was for the car or the adapter.

8. darkenergy

darkenergy Member

I have a hard time believing it is anything other than a protocol incompatibility in the existing adapter. Last I heard, direct current still obeys the basic laws of physics.

• Like x 1
  9. mikeva

mikeva Member

My Guess is all ot needs is a software upgrade but tesla doesnt want to do it cause they want model 3 users pay for the superchargers ..with all this expansion costs they probably want model 4 users pay for the costs by using superchargers only ....

• Disagree x 1
  10. 1Step2NoGas

1Step2NoGas Member

My opinion only: The Model 3 battery management firmware+software is NOT a copy of the Model S or Model X firmware+software and has its own development sequences. It appears to me that they are implementing a deliberate set of features for Model 3 and CHAdeMO charging is one of those features. My guess is that they simply haven't finished it so that they can release it. Some of my opinion is based on the following article from Electrek: https://electrek.co/2017/05/27/tesla-model-3-ccs-chademo-charging-station/

11. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

By now some of us are becoming nervous. With lots of Model 3 already delivered in Canada the CHAdeMO need is high. My own car is to arrive soon, after which I will make a coast-to- coast Trans-Canada-Highway trip.It can be done without CHAdeMO, but the great middle part will be much slower and less convenient without it.

PLEASE Tesla, DO IT NOW!!!!

• Like x 2
  12. Phillip L

Phillip L Gas Passer

I wonder if once they get the software work done, that the current Chademo adaptor for the Model S and X will work on the 3?

13. Phillip L

Phillip L Gas Passer

Can’t believe this. Anyone who has used both, like myself, really knows the difference between the two. Given the choice between Supercharger and Chademo, the former is so much faster than the latter, that one would always choose the Supercharger. So there is not really competition between the two, Chademo would only be used if a Supercharger was not available.

14. widodh

widodh Model S 85kWh

Indeed. The adapter just needs to talk the right protocol to the car and the car has to understand it.

The car will close the contactors and DC flow will from the CHAdeMO charger to the battery.

This can't be a physical thing as the contactors are already present in the car for SuperCharging.

This has to be a software thing.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. T3l5aFan

T3l5aFan Member

I was just charging my leaf and I was talking to a another Leaf owner who told me he had seen a guy with a model 3 at that charging station yesterday and he had the Chademo adaptor and was using it!

16. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Probably the friend mistook a Model S for a Model 3. Hopefully not, but there still is no information from Tesla.

17. T3l5aFan

T3l5aFan Member

Incorrect. He was certain it was a model 3 ad they spoke for ages, sat in the car. He had a reservation but canceled and bought a new Leaf.

• Like x 1
  18. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

#18 jbcarioca, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Great! Was the Model 3 actually charging with CHAdeMO? I know you said that it was connected. I only ask because I was at a CHAdeMO station with a Model 3 and my adapter several times trying to charge and several people we looking at the Model 3 on a couple fo those times. of course, I never actually had a charge. FWIW, each of those stations worked fine with my Model S.

• Like x 1
  19. T3l5aFan

T3l5aFan Member

He said he was charging. Was waiting for him to finish and they talked for ages. I said this is good to know!

• Like x 1
  20. CadillacJack

CadillacJack Member

Maybe I need to pop by the airport to give the adapter a try....