Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chademo Adapter For Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have heard that it needs modify charging hardware at car. So with delivered car, it may never happen.
It will happen, just as it did with S and X. It my be delayed until deliveries to RHD countries begin (Japan is heavily CHAdeMO) but I'll wager sooner mostly because of Canada.

It will happen, just as it did with S and X. It my be delayed until deliveries to RHD countries begin (Japan is heavily CHAdeMO) but I'll wager sooner mostly because of Canada.

Technically no modification need for car itself with S/X, then the matters only adptor hardware and car software upgrade via air.

But I have heard for 3 , the car itself charging circuit need to be modified. That s why I doubt for existing car , it will ever happen. If that’s the case, we at least need bring the car back to service to get it fixed. But certainly it should not be under warranty item.

My Guess is all ot needs is a software upgrade but tesla doesnt want to do it cause they want model 3 users pay for the superchargers ..with all this expansion costs they probably want model 4 users pay for the costs by using superchargers only ....

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
My Guess is all ot needs is a software upgrade but tesla doesnt want to do it cause they want model 3 users pay for the superchargers ..with all this expansion costs they probably want model 4 users pay for the costs by using superchargers only ....

My opinion only: The Model 3 battery management firmware+software is NOT a copy of the Model S or Model X firmware+software and has its own development sequences. It appears to me that they are implementing a deliberate set of features for Model 3 and CHAdeMO charging is one of those features. My guess is that they simply haven't finished it so that they can release it. Some of my opinion is based on the following article from Electrek: https://electrek.co/2017/05/27/tesla-model-3-ccs-chademo-charging-station/

By now some of us are becoming nervous. With lots of Model 3 already delivered in Canada the CHAdeMO need is high. My own car is to arrive soon, after which I will make a coast-to- coast Trans-Canada-Highway trip.It can be done without CHAdeMO, but the great middle part will be much slower and less convenient without it.

PLEASE Tesla, DO IT NOW!!!!

Can’t believe this. Anyone who has used both, like myself, really knows the difference between the two. Given the choice between Supercharger and Chademo, the former is so much faster than the latter, that one would always choose the Supercharger. So there is not really competition between the two, Chademo would only be used if a Supercharger was not available.

I have a hard time believing it is anything other than a protocol incompatibility in the existing adapter. Last I heard, direct current still obeys the basic laws of physics.
Indeed. The adapter just needs to talk the right protocol to the car and the car has to understand it.

The car will close the contactors and DC flow will from the CHAdeMO charger to the battery.

This can't be a physical thing as the contactors are already present in the car for SuperCharging.

This has to be a software thing.

I was just charging my leaf and I was talking to a another Leaf owner who told me he had seen a guy with a model 3 at that charging station yesterday and he had the Chademo adaptor and was using it!
Probably the friend mistook a Model S for a Model 3. Hopefully not, but there still is no information from Tesla.

Incorrect. He was certain it was a model 3 ad they spoke for ages, sat in the car. He had a reservation but canceled and bought a new Leaf.
Great! Was the Model 3 actually charging with CHAdeMO? I know you said that it was connected. I only ask because I was at a CHAdeMO station with a Model 3 and my adapter several times trying to charge and several people we looking at the Model 3 on a couple fo those times. of course, I never actually had a charge. FWIW, each of those stations worked fine with my Model S.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: T3l5aFan
Great! Was the Model 3 actually charging with CHAdeMO? I know you said that it was connected. I only ask because I was at a CHAdeMO station with a Model 3 and my adapter several times trying to charge and several people we looking at the Model 3 on a couple fo those times. of course, I never actually had a charge. FWIW, each of those stations worked fine with my Model S.

He said he was charging. Was waiting for him to finish and they talked for ages. I said this is good to know!

Reactions: jbcarioca