Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chademo Adapter [Discussion]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sign up for email notification, then jump on it when the restock email hits. Worked for me.

Yah. That worked for us for the Chademo adapter but not the 14-50 or J1772. We just kept checking and ordered them when they were in. Now we have all of them...but no car yet...and with the shut down I suspect it will be another 3 to 6 months now. Meh. First world problems. Keeping people healthy out weigh my needs for a model 3.

Reactions: duanra and daveokc
I set up an email notification, but when I got the email I rethought the purchase.

We know Tesla manufactures a CCS adapter for the European market, which is a standard becoming increasingly common over here as well. Playing around on Plugshare, CHAdeMO doesn't seem to be nearly as common. I'm going to wait until they release a CCS adapter, to my understanding that's about half the price.

I set up an email notification, but when I got the email I rethought the purchase.

We know Tesla manufactures a CCS adapter for the European market, which is a standard becoming increasingly common over here as well. Playing around on Plugshare, CHAdeMO doesn't seem to be nearly as common. I'm going to wait until they release a CCS adapter, to my understanding that's about half the price.

I think it depends where you are. Every site in BC has equal number of Chademo and CCS. Chademo gets much more use though due to the large number of leafs and Tesla’s here in comparison to...well...every other EV.

Perhaps, but part of my decision also had to do with the more common standard going forward.

I haven't researched every new EV, but the E-Tron, I-pace, and Taycan support CCS rather than CHAdeMO. The upcoming Mach E as well as the Volkswagen ID.3 vehicles will use CCS, as is the Chevy Volt and their upcoming flood of electric models over the next few years.

I fear the writing is on the wall for CHAdeMO. In Europe, the CCS adapter for the S and X sells for $190. With virtually everything going forward using that standard, I expect this adapter to be available at some point. I don't want to spend $450 on something that will be obsolete within a year. Just my thoughts, though, I don't imagine CHAdeMO will be disappearing altogether.

Reactions: MissT
Perhaps, but part of my decision also had to do with the more common standard going forward.

I haven't researched every new EV, but the E-Tron, I-pace, and Taycan support CCS rather than CHAdeMO. The upcoming Mach E as well as the Volkswagen ID.3 vehicles will use CCS, as is the Chevy Volt and their upcoming flood of electric models over the next few years.

I fear the writing is on the wall for CHAdeMO. In Europe, the CCS adapter for the S and X sells for $190. With virtually everything going forward using that standard, I expect this adapter to be available at some point. I don't want to spend $450 on something that will be obsolete within a year. Just my thoughts, though, I don't imagine CHAdeMO will be disappearing altogether.

True all. I’ll add that I don’t think Chademo will dissapear over the next 5 to 7 years...or the time we expect to have the model 3.

Reactions: TomB985
I’m also curious what a CCS adapter might be able to do. It would be nice if it allowed the max power of the station or what the car could pull, but it could very well be limited since you’re adding an adapter inline. I’m hoping we see it sometime this year and it allows 100kW or more. I’m the Pacific Northwest most new stations only have a single chademo plug and I’ve already seen a few with reports that it isn’t working while the other CCS or other three CCS (etc) are working. I also hate the idea of only 50kW. I look at it more of an emergency thing and I’ll just work really hard to avoid that situation. To me it’s not an extension of capabilities. (IE ability to go in an area not covered by superchargers but does have a 3rd party site. I really wouldn’t want to spend 45+ minutes charging when I’m used to 20 to 25 minutes with superchargers. The 3rd party highway sites also tend to be in worse locations... gas stations instead of shopping plaza, etc)

Just pulled this from the Tesla European site:

upload_2020-3-20_13-4-36.png

Charging Connectors

Of course I see this thread from the perspective of a guy who borrowed the adapter to find it doesn't really give me any real flexibility on this trip. Superchargers outnumber third-party significantly along this route, so haven't had the occasion to use it. I'm itching to try this thing out.

View attachment 523717

I hear ya. With the Covid19 crisis our model 3 probably won’t arrive for another 3 months now. But our Chademo adapter is already here.
Not complaining. Public health obviously comes first.

• Love
Reactions: TomB985