Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter is missing from Tesla website.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
do you guys know if the korean one would fit on the NA market ?
numbers of holes seems to match. (let's say if someone were able to import one)

The charging standard is the same in Korea as it is here, from what I understand. I don't know if Teslas will need a software update to support this or not. I'm just going to wait for them to launch it here. (I don't even have my Y yet, so I definitely will be waiting anyway.)

I am in the same boat as the OP - also on Vancouver Island and waiting for an SR+. For me at least it sounds worth waiting for the Tesla CCS adapter - as well as being smaller and not limited to 50kw it should be cheaper than the CHAdeMO adapter too if the Korean price is a guide...

I’m not expecting it to come back. In North America, CHAdeMO is an obsolete charging standard.

Soon means many things in Tesla language haha Could be a year!

I am in the same boat as the OP - also on Vancouver Island and waiting for an SR+. For me at least it sounds worth waiting for the Tesla CCS adapter - as well as being smaller and not limited to 50kw it should be cheaper than the CHAdeMO adapter too if the Korean price is a guide...

The whole issue around the future of CHAdeMO and CCS adapters is interesting and curious. Add into it the promise of more superchargers in North America (Tesla to Triple the Number of SCs) along with the use of CCS tech in existing European cars and SCs there, leaves me with several questions:
  1. Is the apparent demise of the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter on Canadian and U.S. Tesla Shop pages a true harbinger of an upcoming CCS adapter (or just coincidental)?
  2. If so, exactly when will North America receive a reasonably-priced Tesla-made CCS adapter?
  3. Will such a CCS adapter be usable by all four current Tesla models?
  4. Is the Tesla long-term plan to rely on accessory CCS adapters (so cars will continue to use Tesla charging ports), or to eventualy switch to a CCS-exclusive standard--i.e., CCS cables on super chargers and (new and retrofit) CCS ports on cars?
  5. In making such a switch to a CCS standard will some NA superchargers be given dual (Tesla and CCS) cables as was done in Europe?
I personally like the simple Tesla charging cable plugs. But I recognize the advantages of a single electric-car-charging standard. We'll just have to wait and see.

The whole issue around the future of CHAdeMO and CCS adapters is interesting and curious. Add into it the promise of more superchargers in North America (Tesla to Triple the Number of SCs) along with the use of CCS tech in existing European cars and SCs there, leaves me with several questions:
  1. Is the apparent demise of the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter on Canadian and U.S. Tesla Shop pages a true harbinger of an upcoming CCS adapter (or just coincidental)?
  2. If so, exactly when will North America receive a reasonably-priced Tesla-made CCS adapter?
  4. Is the Tesla long-term plan to rely on accessory CCS adapters (so cars will continue to use Tesla charging ports), or to eventualy switch to a CCS-exclusive standard--i.e., CCS cables on super chargers and (new and retrofit) CCS ports on cars?
  5. In making such a switch to a CCS standard will some NA superchargers be given dual (Tesla and CCS) cables as was done in Europe?
I personally like the simple Tesla charging cable plugs. But I recognize the advantages of a single electric-car-charging standard. We'll just have to wait and see.
From a tweet from @TeslaCharging the adapter is coming to North America soon. I have seen speculation that it would be around $150 (USD).

From what I have read other places it sounds like only the M 3 & Y will be compatible with the adapter initially, I expect that to change at some point.

I can’t see them changing to CCS unless they are forced to by the Canadian, US, and Mexican government’s. I too prefer the Tesla plug mostly because it locks into the car and I don’t have to worry about someone unplugging me.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
Only Tesla can answer your questions with authority, and obviously Tesla won’t answer those questions.

Any replies to your questions that you receive on TMC will be just guesses. My reply to all your questions is “I don’t know.”

• Informative
Reactions: Vawlkus and tps5352
…Any replies to your questions that you receive on TMC will be just guesses…

Yes. I was initially going to describe them (the questions) as rhetorical. Then I thought, “Maybe somebody has some answers.”

BTW, I just sold my basically new (unused) CHAdeMO adapter for what I paid Tesla for it in 2020. So I “read the tea leaves” and decided to take a chance that a (smaller, cheaper, easier, and more universal) Tesla CCS adapter will (eventually) be forthcoming to take on longer trips to ease any possible “range anxiety.” So for better or worse I’ve already started to make the switch.

Last edited:
Some estimates regarding CCS adapter in Canada at common charging stations found in Ontario/Quebec.

I wouldn't be quick to get rid of the ChaDeMo for Model 3 owners, the speed difference won't really matter. Plus, majority of CCS/ChaDeMo stations in rural areas have a max of 50KW (where there is no Tesla Supercharger).

----
Model 3/Y nominal voltage: 350 volt
Model S/X 2021 and later nominal voltage: 450 volt
Adapter max: 500 volt
Adapter max amperage: 300 amps (Teslas typically accept more than that via supercharging)

ChargePoint EcoCharge CCS Stations (located at IGAs):

Model 3/Y: 350 volts * 156Amps = 54.6KW (if two vehicle charging at paired chargers) or 350 volts * 200 amps = 70 KW (if one vehicle in paired chargers)
Model S/X: 450 * 156 = 70Kw (if two vehicles charging at parked chargers ) or 450 * 200 = 90kw (if one vehicle in the paired chargers)

Flo / Electric Circuit Charger(s):

Model 3/Y : 350 volts * 200 amps = 70 KW (for 100kw stations) and 350 volts * 125 amps = 44 KW (for 50 kw stations)
Model S/X : 450 volts * 200 amps = 90kw (for 100kw stations) and 450 * 125 amps = 56.5kw

Petro Canada / Electrify Canada charger(s) rare 350kw charging station:

But Model 3/Y : 350 volts * 300 amps = 105KW
Model S/X: 450 volts * 300 amps = 135KW

150Kw models from Petro Canada or Electrifiy Canada:

Model 3/Y: 350 volts * 175 amps = 62.5KW
Model S/X: 450 * 175 = 78.275KW

Last edited: