Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter is missing from Tesla website.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some estimates regarding CCS adapter in Canada at common charging stations found in Ontario/Quebec.

I wouldn't be quick to get rid of the ChaDeMo for Model 3 owners, the speed difference won't really matter. Plus, majority of CCS/ChaDeMo stations in rural areas have a max of 50KW (where there is no Tesla Supercharger).

----
Model 3/Y nominal voltage: 350 volt
Model S/X 2021 and later nominal voltage: 450 volt
Adapter max: 500 volt
Adapter max amperage: 300 amps (Teslas typically accept more than that via supercharging)

ChargePoint EcoCharge CCS Stations (located at IGAs):

Model 3/Y: 350 volts * 156Amps = 54.6KW (if two vehicle charging at paired chargers) or 350 volts * 200 amps = 70 KW (if one vehicle in paired chargers)
Model S/X: 450 * 156 = 70Kw (if two vehicles charging at parked chargers ) or 450 * 200 = 90kw (if one vehicle in the paired chargers)

Flo / Electric Circuit Charger(s):

Model 3/Y : 350 volts * 200 amps = 70 KW (for 100kw stations) and 350 volts * 125 amps = 44 KW (for 50 kw stations)
Model S/X : 450 volts * 200 amps = 90kw (for 100kw stations) and 450 * 125 amps = 56.5kw

Petro Canada / Electrify Canada charger(s) rare 350kw charging station:

But Model 3/Y : 350 volts * 300 amps = 105KW
Model S/X: 450 volts * 300 amps = 135KW

150Kw models from Petro Canada or Electrifiy Canada:

Model 3/Y: 350 volts * 175 amps = 62.5KW
Model S/X: 450 * 175 = 78.275KW
Model 3/Y pack voltage is 400V (you had it listed at 350V). However, at low SoC it is about 350V but it doesn't stay there for all that long.
I'm using voltage curves from my 2018 Model 3 LR using TeslaMate.

I checked on the AddEnergie specs site, while it would be logical to think that they would charge at 250A (twice the 50 kW charger of 125A), the spec sheet indicates they max at 200A.

I picked the breakpoints below as they represent approximately the 150 kW, 100 kW AddEnergie, and 50 kW chargers you mentioned at the 400V max pack voltage
150 kW charger = 500A max (capped to 300A) = 400V*300A or 120 kW breakpoint
100 kW charger = 200A max = 400V*200A or 80 kW breakpoint
50 kW charger = 125A max = 400V*125A or 50 kW breakpoint

Supercharging drops below the above breakpoints at the following levels:
below 120 kW at 59% SoC (393V) - 300A ("150 kW") charger
below 100 kW at 65% SoC (394V) - theoretical 250A charger
below 80 kW at 72% SoC (397V) - 200A ("100 kW") charger
below 50 kW at 84% SoC (401V) -125A ("50 kW") charger
---

50 kW fast chargers (50 kW Flo) charge at 125A. So multiply the below voltage breakpoints by 125A to get the power at that breakpoint.
On a Model 3
at low SoC voltage is about 350V (43.8 kW), 376V at 50% SoC (47 kW), with power peak at 396V at 70% SoC (49.5 kW) to max at 401V at 84% SoC (50.1 kW)

100 kW fast chargers ("100 kW" Flo) charge at 200A.
At 200A, a Model 3 at low SoC voltage is about 350V (70 kW), 376V at 50% SoC (75.2 kW), with power peak at 397V at 72% SoC (79.4 kW), then gradually decreasing from there, dropping below 50 kW at 84% SoC as above.

The BTC Electrify Canada and Petro-Canada chargers can go up to 500A when outputting up to 500V (150 kW), and 432A at 500-950V (350 kW) but will cap at 300A by the Tesla firmware as that is the adapter limit.

At 300A, a Model 3 at low SoC voltage is about 350V (105 kW), 376V at 50% SoC (112.8 kW), with power peak at 393V at 59% SoC (117.9 kW), then decreasing from there ultimately dropping below 100 kW at 65% SoC, below 80 kW at 72% SoC, and below 50 kW at 84% SoC.

Depending on where you end the charge, this is pretty significant over the CHAdeMO adapter particularly on a 150 kW charger. You will get over double the CHAdeMO rate up to 65% SoC (about half the charging time if you end at 65% SoC!) and between the CHAdeMO and double its rate from 65% to 84% SoC, which is a pretty significant time savings for most road trips.
And this is with a Model 3/Y. A 2021 refresh Model S/X will get even better than this because of the higher pack voltage and the longer peak power curve before the Tesla starts requesting less current.

However as you mentioned, if where you are going is only serviced by the 50 kW AddEnergie chargers (which is pretty much anything off of Trans-Canada 1 around here), it's 50 kW anyways so doesn't make a difference.

• Informative
Reactions: rypalmer
I am excited for the CCS adapter- because the chademo one is huge and bulky and limited to 50kW
The CHAdeMO standard restricts the max charge rate to 62.5kW at 500V/125A. See CHAdeMO - Wikipedia
I thought the CHAdeMO maximum amperage was 125amps. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, at 500V. But Tesla’s DC voltage is 400V. So the CHAdeMO charger won’t deliver the max amperage.

Yes, at 500V. But Tesla’s DC voltage is 400V. So the CHAdeMO charger won’t deliver the max amperage.
It can deliver the max amperage, but not the max power, because power = volts * amps (when using DC, which fast charging does...with AC, it also depends on the power factor which ideally is 1.0, but that's outside the scope of this discussion). If the max power is quoted at 500V and Tesla uses 400V, you'll get 80% of the max power at the same amperage (400V*125A instead of 500V*125A).

Reactions: ecarfan
Just to follow up on my post, I modeled what the CCS adapter can theoretically put out on a 400V pack Model 3 LRD (2018) based on the voltages on some of my example Supercharger curves, then using the charging voltage * charger current for various common CCS chargers.
These all assume a warm or preconditioned battery.
1635301641398.png

Just to follow up on my post, I modeled what the CCS adapter can theoretically put out on a 400V pack Model 3 LRD (2018) based on the voltages on some of my example Supercharger curves, then using the charging voltage * charger current for various common CCS chargers.
These all assume a warm or preconditioned battery.
View attachment 726180
Pretty awesome and exciting. I wonder how that translates into time.

Two friends of mine have just tested their new Model S Plaid with Tesla’s CHAdeMO adapter and it does not work.

The car starts charging for a second and then stops. This happened with both cars, at several different chargers where they tested.

It seems like the new cars are not compatible with this old adapter and maybe that’s why Tesla has removed it from the website.

Has anyone else some information about this incompatibility from newer cars?

• Informative
Reactions: Bitjockey
Two friends of mine have just tested their new Model S Plaid with Tesla’s CHAdeMO adapter and it does not work.

The car starts charging for a second and then stops. This happened with both cars, at several different chargers where they tested.

It seems like the new cars are not compatible with this old adapter and maybe that’s why Tesla has removed it from the website.

That’s news to me. Unless there’s a software update that that car doesn’t have (highly unlikely), it’s more probable that the CCS adapter hardware is inhibiting the chademo protocol.

Did you guys try on more than one chademo adapter? Might be a fault with that.

That’s news to me. Unless there’s a software update that that car doesn’t have (highly unlikely), it’s more probable that the CCS adapter hardware is inhibiting the chademo protocol.

Did you guys try on more than one chademo adapter? Might be a fault with that.

Yes- I have a 2021 Model S long range and the Tesla chademo adapter mostly does not work. I tried it at many locations from Prince George, BC through Whitehorse, YT on a trip from Seattle back home to Alaska. Oddly, sometimes it would work for over an hour- then each successive attempt would produce exactly 1/2 the charge time as the previous attempt, until the time decayed to less than one second. I could never get more than about 50 kWhs total, and most of the time I got nothing. Incidentally, CCS adapter support is listed as "Enabled" (Controls-Software-Additional Vehicle Information) in my car. Vawlkus may be onto something...

Reactions: Vawlkus
I am in the same boat as the OP - also on Vancouver Island and waiting for an SR+. For me at least it sounds worth waiting for the Tesla CCS adapter - as well as being smaller and not limited to 50kw it should be cheaper than the CHAdeMO adapter too if the Korean price is a guide...
I’m on the Island to… Cowichan Valley. Of course, there is no SuperCharging there. I bought the CHAdeMO adapter as part of buying my TM3 in 2019. I have found it to be well worth the price. I can travel to Courtenay/Comox, Campbell River, and Powell River without having concerns about charging. I go to New Westminster several times a year. It is so nice not having to plan to find a Tesla SuperCharger, instead being able to use a CHAdeMO charger.

I might get a CCS adapter if they become available, but I wouldn’t give up my CHAdeMO before then.

Reactions: Vawlkus
I’m on the Island to… Cowichan Valley. Of course, there is no SuperCharging there. I bought the CHAdeMO adapter as part of buying my TM3 in 2019. I have found it to be well worth the price. I can travel to Courtenay/Comox, Campbell River, and Powell River without having concerns about charging. I go to New Westminster several times a year. It is so nice not having to plan to find a Tesla SuperCharger, instead being able to use a CHAdeMO charger.

I might get a CCS adapter if they become available, but I wouldn’t give up my CHAdeMO before then.
It turns out I won’t be getting a CCS adapter and I will be keeping my CHAdeMO. My 2019 TM3 SR+ is not capable of CCS charging. :(

It turns out I won’t be getting a CCS adapter and I will be keeping my CHAdeMO. My 2019 TM3 SR+ is not capable of CCS charging. :(

As you may know better than I do, retrofitting an older North American Model 3/Y to achieve CCS capability is possible. For 2020--> cars with the "stripped" Gen4 ECU (the otherwise latest ECU that was unfortunately lacking a key chip or something) it is a relatively simple swap of the "bad" ECU (Tesla Part # 1537264-80-B) for the correct CCS-enabled ECU (Tesla # 1537264-00-B). That proper ECU is apparently available for order from Tesla Service Centers for ~$140. I read that it is then just a relatively simple matter of carefully swapping out the old ECU for the new one (located near the charge port within the left-hand wall of the trunk area) and updating the car's firmware to see your car's CCS status change to "enabled."

But for pre-2020 cars, with the Gen 3 ECU (e.g., Tesla # 1092755-98-D), the process is somewhat more involved. (For example, a DIY wiring harness is apparently required.) For example, see this Thread for much discussion about retrofitting an older car.

Another (arguably safer) option is to wait for Tesla to release the CCS1 adapter in North America and offer a hardware retrofit for older cars. Will Tesla do that and if so when? Will a service retrofit be available for pre-2020 cars? Those are some of the big questions. (All we have to go by is a possible predictive model of how Tesla made its CCS2 adapter available to older Models S & X in Europe.)