Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Adapter Rental Website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a local Tesla group here and I've already made an announcement that I'm willing to rent out my adapter. I'm considering $20 for the weekend or $30 for a full week (plus a refundable deposit). No shipping though as I don't want to deal with it. Being that this is for local owners only, it's no big deal for them to stop by and pick it up. Makes for a much simpler process. I'm also close to a free CHAdeMO station, so I can have them go and try it out after pickup to make sure they understand it before really needing to use it.

I'm mostly doing it as a service for the local folks here more then anything else. The rates I'm charging are basically to just make it worth my time to deal with it. But reducing the cost of the adapter is a nice side benefit. That's assuming people start taking me up on the rental. :)

Good idea but really, this is something each local service center should offer. I've even written Jerome on this before the adapter came out.

I suspect in the end, the cost to Tesla to do this is minimal although the administrative overhead might not be worth it.

That said, this is a great idea if it doesn't cost you too much in time etc.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Shipping cost is really what's making this more difficult. The box the adapter comes in is 29" long and weights 5-6 lbs. That equates to $20-30 for FedEx 3-day service. So, multiply that by 2 and.. you get the point. I think I may still do it, but in 2 week periods only to cut down on the amount being eaten up by shipping fees and the amount of "out of commission" time while it's being shipped back and forth.

Sorry all, been a bit busy with work. Shipping is a bit much because of the size and weight of the adapter plus insurance for it. The box is 28x7x6 and weighs about 8lbs. So, shipping back and forth isn't cheap (as cgiGuy mentioned)
. Since I get a good discount with UPS at my work, I will be passing that on to everyone. So far, I have come up with $35 for shipping (includes both ways and insurance both ways as well) for UPS ground. It will get to most places with 3 business days, unless you are on the west coast. I am working on a plan to get all ordered delivered within 2 business days to everyone for the same, if not cheaper price. But, that will take some time. Also, working on the website as well. Any web developers want to help?? (Not really my background)
Looking forward to getting this up and running soon. Hopefully before "Reach The Beach" event, which a group of us are organizing.

Also interested in this thread and helping. I own a CHAdeMO adapter.

For those who might be interested, I will be visiting DFW on Saturday. I can bring my CHAdeMO adapter along in my luggage: I have no use for it at home since I won't be driving my MS. (Similarly: if anyone in LAX wants to borrow or rent it...)

I'm willing to let people borrow my adapter. I'm really not in for the money so I won't ask for anything. I just don't want to deal with shipping, so local pickup and drop off would be the way for me. I wonder if there are more people that are willing to do the same. We could set up a database here of people who are willing to lend their adapter out. No specific address, just a city and neighborhood. Just an idea.

Reactions: GJ79
What happened to the 'CHAdeMO2Go' thread? ("CHAdeMO Adapter Rental now available online")

I know the guy (bakoplan?) was sleazy and tried to advertise under false pretenses. Just curious.

Was kind'a looking forward to a good flame war :)

I guess the moderators pre-emptively deleted the thread before the flames got too hot! Pretty dumb of that guy to advertise under false pretenses. Hopefully he has learned his lesson. I guess it is possible it was a scam too.

This is a nice idea, thanks for posting. There's a lot of Tesla stuff I could picture sharing either regionally or by shipping. Jack-point jack stands for tire rotation come to mind as well as roof rails.
Another option might be to have Tesla (or local Tesla owners?) work with CHAdeMO facility folks to install a Model S adaptor on site. After all, what's the point of having a public CHAdeMO charger if a large portion of the EV drivers can't use it? I was picturing a Tesla adaptor that is securely fixed (bike cable?) to the CHAdeMO unit.

+1 for roof rails and rail accessories (roof box, bicycle mount, ski/snowboard mount)

and of course the CHAdeMO too.

I live in the Philadelphia area and we have a CHAdeMO charger under a mile from my workplace (very walkable). On nice days I would like to take advantage of the adapter, but I don't want to dump the money on an adapter before I find out of this is a practical solution. Is there anyone in south east PA/southern NJ who might be able to rent/lend me one for a few days so I can try it out?

i am borrowing a CHAdeMO adapter in Houston for a major road trip. I tried to pay to use it, but the nice gentleman from Houston refused to take any money. I may purchase one and lend it to others in need. I never had a need for one until I scheduled a trip to the west coast. With the Corsciana, TX Supercharger out of service, I could use it in Dallas as there are many CHAdeMO chargers there, but I will re-route through Waco to supercharge there and again in Ardmore, OK.

I guess the moderators pre-emptively deleted the thread before the flames got too hot! Pretty dumb of that guy to advertise under false pretenses. Hopefully he has learned his lesson. I guess it is possible it was a scam too.

I just realized I was a subject of discussion here. I'm not sleazy but absolutely concede it was not appropriate and won't happen again. Just for honor's sake the site is legitimate and does respond to and support a valid need. Warm regards, --Ben K.

What is the current state of affairs for this issue? I would prefer to rent from a TMC owner than a high dollar profit-oriented company.

If I could lay my hands on one I would love to recoup some of the purchase price by loaning it to others.