Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMo adapter rental

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Don D2

Jun 26, 2022
NJ
I'm trying to track down (rent/borrow, etc) a CHAdeMo adpater for my 2022 Model 3 for a trip in Canada in later July. Can anyone offer any contacts/links of folks who offer them (I've only found a few in searches).

Thank you in advance,
Don

I'm trying to track down (rent/borrow, etc) a CHAdeMo adpater for my 2022 Model 3 for a trip in Canada in later July. Can anyone offer any contacts/links of folks who offer them (I've only found a few in searches).

Thank you in advance,
Don
would also like to rent / borrow one for middle of july... should we go in on one together? CCS would work too

Thank you in advance,
Don

Could you purchase a genuine Tesla CCS1 adapter from Harumio - $309 (you would probably have it in a couple of weeks), use it on your trip (faster than CHAdeMO and probably more stations), then sell it when you return? You'd probably make back most if not all your money. (Maybe even come out a little ahead?) No renting hassle (big deposit usually required to rent a CHAdeMO or CCS1 adapters). And you'd have a much better adapter (than CHAdeMO or aftermarket CCS1). Later, you could even rent out your Tesla CCS1 adapter yourself. (Make millions.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 101dals
You best make sure that your car says "CCS adapter support: Enabled" before you go that route (buying the CCS adapter from South Korea). I believe that some 2022 vehicles do / did not come with the fully capable charge port ECU.

edit: Use of the CHAdeMO adapter only requires a software version later than 2019.24 or so.

Last edited:
Could you purchase a genuine Tesla CCS1 adapter from Harumio - $309 (you would probably have it in a couple of weeks), use it on your trip (faster than CHAdeMO and probably more stations), then sell it when you return? You'd probably make back most if not all your money. (Maybe even come out a little ahead?) No renting hassle (big deposit usually required to rent a CHAdeMO or CCS1 adapters). And you'd have a much better adapter (than CHAdeMO or aftermarket CCS1). Later, you could even rent out your Tesla CCS1 adapter yourself. (Make millions.)
yeah i will probably go this route since nobody is chiming in... i agree the CCS is superior in every way (faster, more around, more portable, cheaper)...

in fact i had one in my cart at Harumio hoping to not have to buy it.. then they sent me a $3 off email to entice me further so its only $306 now! hah

Reactions: 101dals
yeah i will probably go this route since nobody is chiming in... i agree the CCS is superior in every way (faster, more around, more portable, cheaper)...

in fact i had one in my cart at Harumio hoping to not have to buy it.. then they sent me a $3 off email to entice me further so its only $306 now! hah
Just buy the CCS1 adapter (assuming your car supports it). It will give you flexibility with charging in the future anyway.

People have reported a code to use that offers a bigger discount. Check that out. Maybe it is only for the case? Not sure. Worth checking.

Last edited:
Reactions: gt2690b
You best make sure that your car says "CCS adapter support: Enabled" before you go that route (buying the CCS adapter from South Korea). I believe that some 2022 vehicles do / did not come with the fully capable charge port ECU.
Indeed. This thread has all the details, including information on how to retrofit support if the car doesn't come with the CCS support.

In brief:
  • Check for compatibility in Tesla's menus. IIRC, it's in Software -> Additional Vehicle Information. There's a line about CCS support being available or unavailable (or enabled or disabled; I don't recall the precise terminology, but it's pretty obvious once you've found it).
  • Model 3s made prior to October of 2020 use what people on this forum are calling a "Gen3 ECU," which doesn't support CCS. Upgrading them is possible by installing a "Gen4 ECU," but that involves a Tesla-unapproved hack. More caveats below. Given the age of your car, this point doesn't apply to you; I mention it only for the benefit of others who might be reading.
  • Starting in October of 2020, Tesla began installing the "Gen4 ECU," which does support CCS; however....
  • On at least two occasions, once in 2021 and once in 2022, Tesla used a stripped-down Gen4 ECU that lacks CCS functionality, presumably because of parts shortages. I don't have exact figures, but my impression is that most Model 3s and Model Ys built during 2021 and 2022 have fully-functional Gen4 ECUs with CCS functionality; but some lack that feature. For those with lobotomized Gen4 ECUs, upgrading the ECU to one with CCS support is possible and is less hackish than replacing a Gen3 ECU with a Gen4 ECU in an older car, but it still involves swapping a circuit board and doing a software update or re-install on the car.
  • The Gen4 ECUs are in short supply. They cost $140 from Tesla, but most Tesla service centers don't have them in stock or are refusing to sell them. There's a lot of inconsistency from one Tesla service center to another, though.
  • For anybody who's reading this with another model of Tesla, I believe that all of this applies to Model Ys as well as Model 3s, except that AFAIK no Model Y shipped with the Gen3 ECU. I'm less familiar with the Model S and Model X, so I don't know the details for them.
Overall, then, if your (that is, @Don D2's) car has a fully-functional Gen4 ECU (see the first bullet point above), you should be good to go with the Tesla CCS1 adapter imported from South Korea via Harumio. If you're unlucky enough to be stuck with a non-CCS Tesla, then to use that adapter you'll need to swap the ECU. If you're not comfortable doing that, or if you don't have time to do it before your trip, then tracking down a CHAdeMO adapter may be your best bet. Note that Harumio also sells the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter; however, it costs more than the Tesla CCS1 adapter. Trying to rent one, as the OP is doing, is almost certainly the better option if it's just for one trip. If the car does have CCS support, then I'd recommend buying Tesla's CCS1 adapter, since that will be useful for a long time to come.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352 and gt2690b
Indeed. This thread has all the details, including information on how to retrofit support if the car doesn't come with the CCS support.

In brief:
  • Check for compatibility in Tesla's menus. IIRC, it's in Software -> Additional Vehicle Information. There's a line about CCS support being available or unavailable (or enabled or disabled; I don't recall the precise terminology, but it's pretty obvious once you've found it).
  • Model 3s made prior to October of 2020 use what people on this forum are calling a "Gen3 ECU," which doesn't support CCS. Upgrading them is possible by installing a "Gen4 ECU," but that involves a Tesla-unapproved hack. More caveats below. Given the age of your car, this point doesn't apply to you; I mention it only for the benefit of others who might be reading.
  • Starting in October of 2020, Tesla began installing the "Gen4 ECU," which does support CCS; however....
  • On at least two occasions, once in 2021 and once in 2022, Tesla used a stripped-down Gen4 ECU that lacks CCS functionality, presumably because of parts shortages. I don't have exact figures, but my impression is that most Model 3s and Model Ys built during 2021 and 2022 have fully-functional Gen4 ECUs with CCS functionality; but some lack that feature. For those with lobotomized Gen4 ECUs, upgrading the ECU to one with CCS support is possible and is less hackish than replacing a Gen3 ECU with a Gen4 ECU in an older car, but it still involves swapping a circuit board and doing a software update or re-install on the car.
  • The Gen4 ECUs are in short supply. They cost $140 from Tesla, but most Tesla service centers don't have them in stock or are refusing to sell them. There's a lot of inconsistency from one Tesla service center to another, though.
  • For anybody who's reading this with another model of Tesla, I believe that all of this applies to Model Ys as well as Model 3s, except that AFAIK no Model Y shipped with the Gen3 ECU. I'm less familiar with the Model S and Model X, so I don't know the details for them.
Overall, then, if your (that is, @Don D2's) car has a fully-functional Gen4 ECU (see the first bullet point above), you should be good to go with the Tesla CCS1 adapter imported from South Korea via Harumio. If you're unlucky enough to be stuck with a non-CCS Tesla, then to use that adapter you'll need to swap the ECU. If you're not comfortable doing that, or if you don't have time to do it before your trip, then tracking down a CHAdeMO adapter may be your best bet. Note that Harumio also sells the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter; however, it costs more than the Tesla CCS1 adapter. Trying to rent one, as the OP is doing, is almost certainly the better option if it's just for one trip. If the car does have CCS support, then I'd recommend buying Tesla's CCS1 adapter, since that will be useful for a long time to come.
Yeah I already have the part on order was $140 from my service center

I found the post I saw. Try Harumio discount code jennycubs. It may work. (But these codes expire after time.)

Hello all, long time lurker, but finally registered!

I live in Jacksonville Florida, but will be driving to BC (Vancouver, Vancouver Island, and Sunshine Coast) to visit family. I have road tripped to Yellowstone and Utah, etc, but I figured it would be best to CYA and see if someone either in NE Florida or in Vancouver has a Chademo adapter for rent as my Model 3 is a 2018 and Superchargers are few North and West of Nanaimo.

Any assistance is appreciated!

Hello all, long time lurker, but finally registered!

I live in Jacksonville Florida, but will be driving to BC (Vancouver, Vancouver Island, and Sunshine Coast) to visit family. I have road tripped to Yellowstone and Utah, etc, but I figured it would be best to CYA and see if someone either in NE Florida or in Vancouver has a Chademo adapter for rent as my Model 3 is a 2018 and Superchargers are few North and West of Nanaimo.

Any assistance is appreciated!

I think I've seen in the past CHAdeMO adapters for rent on Craig's List (for Vancouver area). Check out CL (which can now be searched geographically using the "map" feature). However, sounds like you could stop and pick up a rental from anywhere along your route, then return it on the way back...?

I think I've seen in the past CHAdeMO adapters for rent on Craig's List (for Vancouver area). Check out CL (which can now be searched geographically using the "map" feature). However, sounds like you could stop and pick up a rental from anywhere along your route, then return it on the way back...?
Theoretically I could, but I am planning to do a loop (likely the Canadian prairies and Crowsnest Hwy on the way in and via Washington/Idaho/Montana on the way back). Thanks for suggestion on Craigslist, I’ll check there also.