TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CHAdeMO Adapter Sharing ZeeMap

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by cgiGuy, Jun 10, 2015.

1. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

In an effort to make it easier to find other members in your local area who might be willing to loan you their CHAdeMO adapter, I've created a ZeeMap where TMC members can add themselves. As of right now, my intent is for this to be for TMC members, and communication would be via PMs on this site. This eliminates the need for email addresses to be plugged into the map (which could be scraped and used for spam lists) and also reduces the chance of someone emailing you with dishonest intent, since they need to be members on the TMC site.

So, if you're interested in listing yourself, I ask that you name the marker using your TMC username. Also, do not use a full address--just put in a zip code or city. Markers will initially require admin approval, but this may change depending on how things go.

Members who are interested in contacting you can search the map, pull your username from it and then send you PM to work out the details.

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1487629

As I indicated on the map notes, the intent is for a no-fee loan of adapters to help enable long distance travel of other members. Security deposit details are completely up to you. As a side note, PayPal will refund all associated fees (minus 30 cents) if you refund a payment within 60 days. This might be a good mechanism for holding security deposits.

I tried coming up with a way to link the markers to the "send PM" form for the user, but a user number is required and I'm not smart enough to figure out how to automate a lookup of that. If anyone knows how to accomplish this or if you have any suggestions to help make this more useful, feel free to comment.

2. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

This is a nice initiative. I use my adapter too often to lend it out for road-trips. However, I am willing to let someone use it locally. This could help someone traveling through the area since there's 125A CHAdeMO five miles from me, but the closest Supercharger is over 100 miles away. May I add myself to the list?

3. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

Wonderful idea. I've added mine in Vancouver, BC. I've had it for a month and finally got to confirm it works last weekend. Will be using it June 27 to July 15th for my Oregon/California/TMC Connect road trip coming up.

4. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Awesome idea. I'm contemplating a trip through PA, and I'm not sure I'd get the chademo on time. This would be a good solution.

5. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Please do! Thanks.

6. Max*

May I suggest mouse-scroll wheel -> zoom?

7. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Done!

8. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Looking to borrow one in the southeast PA/southern NJ region to try out for a day or so. No markers in this area yet.

What the heck, maybe I'll just go ahead and get one.

9. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

The map's only been up for a couple days, so I'd try the regional forums.

10. llavalle

llavalle Member

Somewhere around Montreal in Quebec, Canada
  11. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Thanks to all of those who have added so far. Hopefully we can keep it going.

12. Max*

Has anyone borrowed/lend a Chademo due to this effort?

13. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Only about a dozen entries, so far. I don't have any visibility of whether anyone has used it, since it's user-to-user communication via PMs.

14. Max*

I went ahead and bought one (only 1 person in my area, and he's not very active on TMC).

If I use the Chademo for my trip in a few weeks, I'll put it up on the map. If I end up not needing it, I'll return it to Tesla (they said they'll take it back if it's un-opened/sealed/unused/etc.).

15. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I just used it for my trip next week! Great idea, thanks.

I don't do a lot of long trips, but just seeing where Chademo chargers are is interesting, I might buy one to have it "just in case" and I'd put it on the map. Hopefully all those people who get Model S referral credits and say they're getting a Chademo adapter go ahead and add it to your map.

16. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

#16 Andyw2100, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    I think very few people know about this thread. Whenever it makes sense to, those of us that do should include pointers to it, to increase awareness. I read TMC religiously. I'm embarrassed to say how much time I spend here. This thread is two months old, and I only stumbled upon it last night. We just need to increase the visibility, because the idea is a fantastic one!

17. TSLARLTR

TSLARLTR Member

Great effort. Well done!

18. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

My sentiments exactly.
    This should be a sticky thread.

19. TSLARLTR

TSLARLTR Member

Bump.
    Just checked the map and no entries for Chademo Lenders in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) !?

Just saw Bjorn's video about his initiative of lending out the adapters, free of cost - quite motivated to get one and do the same here!

20. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

A Tesla adapter is placed-for-loan at the CHAdeMO Station at a Rouses Market in downtown New Orleans - it's borrowed directly from the market and not by Pinging a TMC Member...
    Do y'all think it could/should be represented on this map too?