TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CHAdeMO adapter sold out. New adapter coming?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Keith, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Keith

Keith Member

The CHAdeMO adapter on the Tesla website is sold out, this happened to the wall charger before a refresh was announced. I've heard in the past that Tesla was thinking about making the CHAdeMO adapter smaller, anyone know anything about this? Has this already been discussed?

• Dislike x 1
  2. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

3. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

I just ordered and received one. Since I won't have a vehicle for ~ 2 months I'd be happy to sell it to someone who needs one now.

4. loganintx

loganintx Member

There's a new L2 charger in Austin near town lake. I walked over to it today after talking a lap on the trail and noticed it has 2 different charger connectors. I wasn't planning on buying $450 CHAdeMO connector but this charger is VERY close to my office. Still would take me a lot of chargers to make up for $450. I think I would only buy CHAdeMO if the "new one" is a lot cheaper and I planned on more trips where SCs weren't along the path. There is also an L1 charging station here which I believe is J1772.
    1x CHAdeMO Connector
    1x SAE Combo Connector
    IMG_1261.JPG IMG_1262.JPG

5. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

The Tesla web page looks like a price increase occurred until "Adapter" is selected with the pull down menu.

The price of $1,900 is for hardware activation: Tesla — CHAdeMO Adapter

It is unfortunate to see the adapter sold out, especially for those visiting the Seattle, WA area.

6. David99

David99 Active Member

I lot of people used their referral credit for CHADeMO adapters and they just ran out of them I think. The development of a new adapter for the combo plug is a completely different thing.

• Informative x 1
  7. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

This is an application they filed in April 2013 that just recently got published. It seems to mainly cover the CHAdeMO adapter. It mentions SAE J1772, but only in context of the Tesla standard being similar (needing the bus to be energized before contacts close, while CHAdeMO is the opposite). I would not take this as indication they are working on dual standard adapter.

8. Keith

Keith Member

I'm thinking they are "Sold Out" because they are releasing a new adapter, at least I'm hoping they are, and I'm hoping it's cheaper. I was about to buy an HPWC when they were sold out, and now it's new and cheaper.

9. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

#9 TexasEV, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    It's the first of several CHAdeMO/CCS charging stations to be installed in the Austin Energy "plug-in anywhere" program of $25 for 6 months unlimited charging. Until now they only had 30A J1772s.
    By the way you need to add 1 to your levels--
    L3 is DC fast charging
    L2 is 240V such as J1772, 14-50, or HPWC
    L1 is 120V.

@loganintx, if you're not in the Austin Tesla owners Google group please email me efudman at gmail. I can't figure out how to send a PM with this new forum software.

10. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Not sure how much smaller you can make it, unless you shorted the barrel on the Chademo end. Regardless, its a PIA to use and I am thankful Tesla went their own way every time I use it.

• Like x 3
  11. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

For now, I guess a CCS adapter would be useful in Europe, but where is the need in North America? Almost every station that has CCS also has CHAdeMO, except perhaps crippled units at BMW dealers.

The CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 125A. If GEN2 CCS or CHAdeMO stations pop-up that can deliver more than that, then of course the story changes.

12. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Reading the patent, Tesla's standard is a lot closer to CCS than CHAdeMO. That means potentially the adapter can be much simpler/smaller and less expensive. That would be a big advantage (right now the $450 price still gives some people pause).

• Informative x 1
  13. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

Just in case you don't know:

J1772 is usually L2 when used in public
    Chademo and SAE Combo are L3 or DC fast charging not L2.

The way your post was worded I wasn't sure if you meant the new L2 charger was chademo/SAE combo or if you meant there was a new L2 and then went on to talk about those which weren't L2.

• Like x 1
  14. loganintx

loganintx Member

Thanks. I'm a newbie. Got the levels wrong. Now I know.

15. Keith

Keith Member

Looks like the CHAdeMO adapter is back in stock. I guess my dreams of a smaller, cheaper adapter are crushed.. I'll probably get one anyway, it seems like the easiest way to travel the Oregon Coast and through Central Oregon.

16. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

That is in interesting point, but in North America and in Japan the number of CHAdeMo only sites would make a CCS only adapter less practical. Of course, I am still naively hoping they start offering Tesla plugs since triple-standard ccs, chademo and 43 kW AC units exist in Europe.

17. jcobb

jcobb Member

You could always rent an adapter this is just one site that offers the service.

CHAdeMo charging for Tesla - Adapter, Rent by the week

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1