Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Adapter Tear Down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of the CAN MsgIDs (hex) seen on the pseudo-CAN Pilot line:

(data bytes D1 through D8, I3 is 2-byte integer in D3 and D4)

[This info is as I recall, with guesses and some unknowns, and
might be incomplete, or wrong. Use any info at your own risk.]

--------
Apparently from the car (8 MsgIDs):

102: I1 / 13.8 amps requested by car

112: Unknown use

202: I1 / 14.01 voltage measured by car
202: I3 / 54.6 amps measured by car

302: D3 * 1.0213 State of Charge as Range Miles

30C: Unknown use

312: I5 Unknown use

322: D1 VIN field Index = 0, 1, 2
322: D2 thru D8 a field of car's 17-character VIN
(D1==0 is 1st 7 chars, D1==1 is middle 7, D1==2 is last 3 chars plus 4 zero bytes)

3D2: D1 through D4 unsigned integer Total Wh sent to Battery

--------
Apparently from the SpC (3 MsgIDs):

214: D2 (xxEu AxCD) flags showing charging state
214: I5 / 13.73 amps delivered by SpC
214: I7 / 13.7 voltage from SpC

x = non-zero not observed ?
E = ? car requesting Excessive amps, more than available ?
u = unknown meaning
A = Active charging in progress ?
C = Car Connected to SpC, authorizing, testing GFI ?
D = DC contactor is closed (HVDC path from SpC to Car)

244: I1 / 16.3 max power (kW) available from SpC
244: I3 / 15.5 max amps ? available from SpC

514: D1 SpC Serial Number field Index = 0, 1, 2
514: D2 thru D8 a field of SpC Serial Number
(D1==0 is 1st 7 chars, D1==1 is middle 7, D1==2 is last 3 chars plus 4 zero bytes)
Sample SpC Serial Number = "sc00000000000nnnn"

--------
Please let me know of any errors or additions, so
that I can edit / correct / improve this post.

Are all of these MsgIDs observed in the CAN3 logs?
Thanks, Gary

Last edited:
Who... Who are you?

Got that covered already :)

2015-03-31%2000.56.37-1920.jpg
... I mean, that is if I were doing such a thing, which I definitely am not.......... and that's the story I'm sticking with. :cool:

Reactions: NiallDarwin
Aside from needing to be crazy big and heavy to be safe, it just wouldn't be safe regardless. Plus the only way to reduce charge speed at the SC would be to intercept and rewrite the data messages on the pilot line... which would need a powered controller.

I assumed it would have to be an active extension with a controller, kind of like a ChaDeMo adapter but 10ft long, hence asking a guy who is reverse engineering one... But yes, it would be a clunker, 6x the weight of the ChaDeMo adapter maybe?

No, no I had not. And now after playing catch-up, I sure hope this guy never wins the lottery or cashes out of a Fortune 50 IPO, because he's going to buy an island and become a legit super-villain.

Well you better catch up and get with the program, otherwise he will hack a 'summon' command over the air to your car and it will drive to his house--then he will have 3 teslas in the garage...

In the dual stack of 36 24v x-Tesla modules, it appears that the 2 adjacent
modules are wired in series (for a 48v "pair"), and each pair is wired in parallel
with another pair, for a 2S2P 48v "battery", with 9 such batteries in the stack.

So, some 48v application, it would seem, probably with 48v DC to 120v AC
inverters to supply some AC-powered device, like a house?

I wonder how the cells/modules remain balanced, any info there, please?

In the dual stack of 36 24v x-Tesla modules, it appears that the 2 adjacent
modules are wired in series (for a 48v "pair"), and each pair is wired in parallel
with another pair, for a 2S2P 48v "battery", with 9 such batteries in the stack.

So, some 48v application, it would seem, probably with 48v DC to 120v AC
inverters to supply some AC-powered device, like a house?

I wonder how the cells/modules remain balanced, any info there, please?

Would recommend reading through the thread on wk's solar project. Answers all of your questions (and more):

Plan: Off grid solar with a Model S battery pack at the heart

F026E73A-8D9C-4670-B084-5409623B8BF3.jpeg
I'm assuming the overheating issues I've had (when charging on hot days) are something I'll just have to live with. Has anyone had those resolved with a firmware update?

About 3 times this summer (albeit, during 95 plus degree weather), I've had the red error message "Adapter extremely hot! Lowering voltage". So the amps drop way down and the charging rate is slowed by probably 80% to allow temps to cool down. Almost defeats the purpose of a CHAdeMO adapter if you can't charge at full speed.
I’m having the exact same issue as you. Is that a faulty adapter or just designed that way to prevent damages?

• Informative
Reactions: UnicornDriver
View attachment 318723
I’m having the exact same issue as you. Is that a faulty adapter or just designed that way to prevent damages?
Not sure if this applies to your case, but CHAdeMO adapter and cable is both heavy and they sometimes doesn't fit snug, causing some weak connection between the two. If this happens, the current will cause a lot of heat at the connector. It may be the faulty adapter, but can you try to connect them firmly again? I always hold the CHAdeMO adapter, CHAdeMO side up, between my thighs, then put down the charger cable into the adapter with force. Then connect the adapter to the Tesla. Hope this helps, as I haven't seen that error in four years of my CHAdeMO life.

• Informative
Reactions: UnicornDriver
Good to know there’s a circuit board in these adapters, mine is popping and won’t charge after 2 seconds, sent an email to parts for a replacement but no word from them, I also have a service ticket for August 12th mobile service to have it checked and hopefully replaced.

Fred