Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter wait frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Besides the high current fuse, battery packs in all factory EVs monitor pack voltage, cell voltages, and temperatures. The BMS can open contractors to protect the battery if there are voltage spikes. This will save the battery, but not result in a successful DC fast charge. Tesla must want to insure the latter outcome for their customers, not just the former.

GSP

I'm pretty sure the delay is more about the wide range of chademo charger implementations. And probably the wide range of quality as well. None of them have been stressed any where close to what a 1.5 hr S85 session can do.

This is a great example of how a cobbled together standard creates more confusion in the market, not less.

In Japan many CHAdeMO stations are accepting consecutive charging sessions. For example in 2013 the maximum number of charging sessions was 28 sessions per day per unit. On highways, the average was 162 sessions per month per unit.
So, with regard to reliability, it depends on manufacturers I guess.

The problem with these kinds of charging standards is that they have to cater to the least common denominator. In this case, that's probably a Nissan Leaf. If we can get more superchargers, we won't need this pathetic technology. BMW i3 w/ DC charge option ships with a CCS connector (SAE combo frankenplug). There is one CCS charger in the entire state of Arizona. ChargePoint has said it has no plans to support the CCS/SAE combo plug.

Let the rest of the industry settle their charging standard in a bloodbath of confusing standards while Tesla sticks with its super fast, super slim, and super easy supercharging system. I'm so glad for Tesla. The rest are a bunch of sheep, copying the test answers from the kid in front who got most of the answers wrong.

Let the rest of the industry settle their charging standard in a bloodbath of confusing standards while Tesla sticks with its super fast, super slim, and super easy supercharging system. I'm so glad for Tesla. The rest are a bunch of sheep, copying the test answers from the kid in front who got most of the answers wrong.

:) nice writing.

Seems kinda dumb now that patents are open. What am I missing?...

:) nice writing.

Seems kinda dumb now that patents are open. What am I missing?...

The glacial speed at which traditional automakers operate, for one. And their hesitance to really commit to an electric future. Massive companies like Nissan or BMW could fund their own charging network much easier than Tesla, but they're waffling. To me, this signals a lack of dedication to EVs. Given the slightest provocation, I think they'll jump back to the safety of ICE, quicker than you can blink. So...we have to deal with CHAdeMO and CCS in the meantime.

To be fair, I think that was more the charger's issue than the car (it's the charger maker which had to make changes, not Volkswagen).

Very well, say that's the case. How does it change anything? These are charging stations from a prominent manufacturer in a major sales market....and VW didn't bring a single one to HQ for testing?

Seems to me like someone at VW dropped the ball and is trying to pass the buck.

Very well, say that's the case. How does it change anything? These are charging stations from a prominent manufacturer in a major sales market....and VW didn't bring a single one to HQ for testing?

Seems to me like someone at VW dropped the ball and is trying to pass the buck.

Way true. For VW to blame it on poor implementation of a standard indicates a serious problem with their EV projects and management. What else have they failed to anticipate and test for? I'll be passing on their products in the foreseeable future.

No, if you read the article, Volkswagen did do charger testing with multiple charger manufacturers before releasing the car. That's why this is the only charger that didn't work (all the other ones work perfectly fine, although it's true that the e-Golf appears to be the only one reported not to work with these chargers thus far). That's why your characterization is unfair.

In an official statement, Volkswagen said that its Volkswagen e-Golf was tested against a range of CCS charging stations before launch, including ones similar to those used by Ecotricity without any problems. Moreover, other brands of rapid charging stations — including those manufactured by German company ABB — can successfully charge the e-Golf.

In the USA, Volkswagen was the one to do the most charger testing (6 out of the 7 existing SAE Combo manufacturers):
Validation to date, includes:
• GM verifying compatibility with AkerWade, Eaton, and IES
• BMW verifying compatibility with ABB, Eaton, IES, and Siemens
• VW verifying compatibility with ABB, Eaton, Efacec, EvTec, IES, and Siemens
http://www.pevcollaborative.org/sit...ve DC Combo Update for 13Mar2013_final2_0.pdf

That might only be partially correct. After all, didn't the charger work on other cars including I up? Seems all blame probably can't be placed on charger.

While the specifics of the car obviously has to do with it, in another article, it's made clear that this is a software issue with the Ecotricity network and DBT chargers that will be resolved with an update to the chargers (not to the cars):
VW and DBT are working on a solution that will update the software throughout the network, allowing e-Golfs to charge on the electric highway. This should be completed within the next week or two.
http://insideevs.com/volkswagen-e-golf-incompatible-ecotricity-ccs-fast-chargers-uk/
Also someone noted in the comments of article that their i3 was able to charge only at 2 out of 10 DBT chargers, while the ABB chargers had a 100% success rate.

Last edited:
No, if you read the article, Volkswagen did do charger testing with multiple charger manufacturers before releasing the car. That's why this is the only charger that didn't work (all the other ones work perfectly fine, although it's true that the e-Golf appears to be the only one reported not to work with these chargers thus far). That's why your characterization is unfair.

Perhaps. Still, this seems like the kind of thing that could have been wiped out pretty early with adequate testing. Why test on units "similar" to those used by Ecotricity instead of identical ones. Obviously it makes a difference. Did they want to save a few bucks on shipping or something?

Perhaps. Still, this seems like the kind of thing that could have been wiped out pretty early with adequate testing. Why test on units "similar" to those used by Ecotricity instead of identical ones. Obviously it makes a difference. Did they want to save a few bucks on shipping or something?
Ecotricity just recently updated their hardware in April to address reliability issues (so apparently their chargers had problems even before) and also supposedly did a network-wide upgrade in June. So while the e-Golf was undergoing validation, the new hardware might not even have been available for testing, or it might have been changed after it was tested.
http://transportevolved.com/2014/04...y-promises-better-reliability-quick-charging/