Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter wait frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you think there would be such an adapter and what would the two adapters have to do with each other?

It would be the same technology, CHADEMO-Tesla that Tesla-CHADEMO (Leaf's socket chademo), but it should change the male and female connector type. I think they would be posible.

By that logic the J1772 adapter works with both vehicles so they both already support Supercharger and Chademo access. /confused

I don't know exactly how is that adapter, but they sould be have a male and female connector type and it's not posible turning to be used in the opposite direction, but it's the same technical and they would in the future posible with a new adapter and maybe a little change in the car's software.

It would be the same technology, CHADEMO-Tesla that Tesla-CHADEMO (Leaf's socket chademo), but it should change the male and female connector type. I think they would be posible.<snip>
I think you would have an uproar for Tesla travelers if CHADEMO based city cars were taking up time/slots at free superchargers that were part of the higher end longer distance EVs. I also would not expect Tesla to "turn on" those charges if they were plugged into a CHADEMO based city car. If it was spoofed then I would expect calls from the legal department to those using them and the adapter makers.

I don't know how those are assembled, but if the pins are crimped (and not soldered), they aren't reusable. Plus, I suspect a bit more wire is needed for 120 amps from a CHAdeMO.
Easiest way is to snip off the wire crimped onto the existing handle and crimp on new wire, of course you'd still be limited to something not much more than 40A on a UMC cable, that cable is really thin. The Roadster HPC to Model S adapter is good for at least 80A which gets you closer, though still not quite full CHAdeMO speeds.

It would be the same technology, CHADEMO-Tesla that Tesla-CHADEMO (Leaf's socket chademo), but it should change the male and female connector type. I think they would be posible.

We're not talking about a simple adaptor here, but something that translates protocols. Just because you can go one direction does not in fact mean that you can go the other. Tesla could easily implement a secure handshake that prevented non Tesla cars from using the superchargers.

We're not talking about a simple adaptor here, but something that translates protocols. Just because you can go one direction does not in fact mean that you can go the other. Tesla could easily implement a secure handshake that prevented non Tesla cars from using the superchargers.
They don't even need to do this. A Model S CHAdeMO adapter will "emulate" CHAdeMO in order to use CHAdeMO chargers. A Leaf Supercharger adapter will need to "emulate" the supercharger protocol to use the Superchargers. These are two completely different things.

They don't even need to do this. A Model S CHAdeMO adapter will "emulate" CHAdeMO in order to use CHAdeMO chargers. A Leaf Supercharger adapter will need to "emulate" the supercharger protocol to use the Superchargers. These are two completely different things.

I understand they are two different things. I'm just pointing out why one may be more difficult than the other.

This raises the issue, are these wire communication protocols protected by patent, or are they just trade secrets? I would imagine people try for the former, but it's hard to see why a proto adapter couldn't be relatively easily done.

Does anyone think Tesla will try to get the tesla plug format adopted as a standard for cars outside of Tesla? I don't think it's a serious idea. So what is their long term plan? The sae dc is better (seems to be better b/c of higher power), they could try to delay chademo and only do that. However there are no cars using it, some coming soon. And chademo costs money.

Another related question, why doesn't tesla offer a paid conversion for roadsters to to the ts2 plug, the model s one? It would get rid of the need for tesla model s dual charger people to try to buy roadster chargers cables over time.

I'm not able to speak to the technical challenges (or lack thereof) of creating an adapter, or to whatever Tesla's marketing strategy might be, or when proposed alternatives will actually make it to a highway near me. What I can say is that we took our beautiful model S on its first road trip to our 2nd home last week, and while we made the 180 miles over 5000 feet of mountain elevation gain with 70 miles of range left (I wouldn't want to risk going lower), we travelled at 55mph the entire journey. IF we had been able to use any of several CHAdeMO chargers along the route, we would have been able to actually take advantage of the car's remarkable driving ability and have fun in the mountains. I'm at the point RichKae is, where I can no longer fully recommend Tesla to the many who admire it along the road, because of its inability to use an EXISTING fast-DC charging network.

Would love an adapter, but would love superchargers more...so there's that.

I agree with that. I live in Eastern Washington. I don't have my Model S yet (waiting for sufficient funds and don't want to take out a large loan). I travel to California and Nevada every year, but there are no routes with superchargers until I get to California. My wife doesn't want to take 3 days just to get to California. Washington has CHAdeMO, and I believe Oregon does as well. Along 395 or 97 we can get from Cheney to Sacramento or Cheney to Reno in one day. It would undoubtedly take longer with CHAdeMO, but much less than when restricted to 14-50s. If Tesla could even get a supercharger between Spokane and Seattle or Spokane and Portland it would be great. Another is needed at least between Portland and the Oregon-California border, and another between there and Sacramento. If they can't do that within the next year, then a CHAdeMO adapter is needed,

I know what you mean. next week my sister is coming out to Seattle. She's heard a lot about the Tesla S and is a bit skeptical but wants to see what it can do. we plan to head out to Spokane, then on to coeur d'alene for a visit with our Aunt. We'd have no problem heading out route 2 and charging up on the fast charger in Wenatchee on the other side of the pass, easily making it to Spokane with little sitting and waiting. for lack of a CHAdeMO adapter, we may very well end up renting a car, which will only feed into my sisters "concerns" about the technology. to make things worse, all the exhisting adapters in the tesla store are back ordered so our options are going to be even more limited.

I'm not able to speak to the technical challenges (or lack thereof) of creating an adapter, or to whatever Tesla's marketing strategy might be, or when proposed alternatives will actually make it to a highway near me. What I can say is that we took our beautiful model S on its first road trip to our 2nd home last week, and while we made the 180 miles over 5000 feet of mountain elevation gain with 70 miles of range left (I wouldn't want to risk going lower), we travelled at 55mph the entire journey. IF we had been able to use any of several CHAdeMO chargers along the route, we would have been able to actually take advantage of the car's remarkable driving ability and have fun in the mountains. I'm at the point RichKae is, where I can no longer fully recommend Tesla to the many who admire it along the road, because of its inability to use an EXISTING fast-DC charging network.

I agree with that. I live in Eastern Washington. I don't have my Model S yet (waiting for sufficient funds and don't want to take out a large loan). I travel to California and Nevada every year, but there are no routes with superchargers until I get to California. My wife doesn't want to take 3 days just to get to California. Washington has CHAdeMO, and I believe Oregon does as well. Along 395 or 97 we can get from Cheney to Sacramento or Cheney to Reno in one day. It would undoubtedly take longer with CHAdeMO, but much less than when restricted to 14-50s. If Tesla could even get a supercharger between Spokane and Seattle or Spokane and Portland it would be great. Another is needed at least between Portland and the Oregon-California border, and another between there and Sacramento. If they can't do that within the next year, then a CHAdeMO adapter is needed,

There really ain't much at all between spokane and seattle. A few RV parks and truckstops with J1772s. Only Ellensburg has some J1772s with nearby several places to dine. For the Spokane to Seattle run it might be ok, but Seattle to Spokane, it's a little early in the trip for a longish stop. Now, if they would put a supercharger at the wind farm (and power it via the wind turbines) that would be perfect. Unfortunately the visitor center there isn't always open (and their nema 14-50 is apparently turned off during those times).

- - - Updated - - -

I know what you mean. next week my sister is coming out to Seattle. She's heard a lot about the Tesla S and is a bit skeptical but wants to see what it can do. we plan to head out to Spokane, then on to coeur d'alene for a visit with our Aunt. We'd have no problem heading out route 2 and charging up on the fast charger in Wenatchee on the other side of the pass, easily making it to Spokane with little sitting and waiting. for lack of a CHAdeMO adapter, we may very well end up renting a car, which will only feed into my sisters "concerns" about the technology. to make things worse, all the exhisting adapters in the tesla store are back ordered so our options are going to be even more limited.

That really is the slow way to get to Spokane, even for an EV. We definitely need a fast charger mid way on I90. There are J1772s in Ellensburg - might be faster to go that way. route 2 can be sloooowwwww.

update on the wind farm, I just called. the plugs are always on, never turned off during the months the visitors center is open (for 2013 it's April 1 through November, call ahead 509-964-7815), it is grid tied so not limited to when the turbines are on. the gates are open two hours before and 2 hours after dawn/dusk and the gates open automatically from the inside, so you can leave after the visitors center has closed. the visitors center offers a 45 minute tour of the turbines, even inside one of them, at 10 or 2 pm daily (for some reason the only stipulation is that you can't wear sandals). they have picnic tables and even a kitchen with a microwave that is available during business hours.

the 14-50's are covered, and kept closed with a paper clip, they are on the side of the building and self serve.

the woman I talked to is very EV friendly! she even mentioned that typically Tesla S drivers are plugged in for about an hour for a Seattle to Spokane trip to up, curious if that's accurate.

There really ain't much at all between spokane and seattle. A few RV parks and truckstops with J1772s. Only Ellensburg has some J1772s with nearby several places to dine. For the Spokane to Seattle run it might be ok, but Seattle to Spokane, it's a little early in the trip for a longish stop. Now, if they would put a supercharger at the wind farm (and power it via the wind turbines) that would be perfect. Unfortunately the visitor center there isn't always open (and their nema 14-50 is apparently turned off during those times).

- - - Updated - - -

That really is the slow way to get to Spokane, even for an EV. We definitely need a fast charger mid way on I90. There are J1772s in Ellensburg - might be faster to go that way. route 2 can be sloooowwwww.

update on the wind farm, I just called. the plugs are always on, never turned off during the months the visitors center is open (for 2013 it's April 1 through November, call ahead 509-964-7815), it is grid tied so not limited to when the turbines are on. the gates are open two hours before and 2 hours after dawn/dusk and the gates open automatically from the inside, so you can leave after the visitors center has closed. the visitors center offers a 45 minute tour of the turbines, even inside one of them, at 10 or 2 pm daily (for some reason the only stipulation is that you can't wear sandals). they have picnic tables and even a kitchen with a microwave that is available during business hours.

the 14-50's are covered, and kept closed with a paper clip, they are on the side of the building and self serve.

the woman I talked to is very EV friendly! she even mentioned that typically Tesla S drivers are plugged in for about an hour for a Seattle to Spokane trip to up, curious if that's accurate.

That's good to know though only for 8 months of the year though not during the night. The nema 14-50 would only give you 31 mph so an hour charge doesn't move the meter much. Maybe better to stop in Ellensburg and top off via a J1772 while eating dinner or lunch though a tour would be interesting. Probably to best spot for a supercharger is the rest stop at Winchester (about 14 miles west of Moses Lake) which is within just a few miles of being half way. Probably won't happen though as you'd need one for each direction. Maybe Moses Lake would be good.

Ellensburg also has a Roadster HPC, so if you have twin chargers and an HPC adapter (PM me if you don't, you can borrow mine if it is not in use....although it is getting used a lot) you can charge at 70A.

70A is still way too slow for most people. CHADeMO is good enough for many weekend trips. Nothing beats Superchargers though, looking forward to next week's announcement...

Ellensburg also has a Roadster HPC, so if you have twin chargers and an HPC adapter (PM me if you don't, you can borrow mine if it is not in use....although it is getting used a lot) you can charge at 70A.

70A is still way too slow for most people. CHADeMO is good enough for many weekend trips. Nothing beats Superchargers though, looking forward to next week's announcement...

Thanks. That doesn't show up on recargo. I noticed that a number seem to be missing from it. The willows lodge has several j1772s and a tesla (roadster? I haven't looked at it closely) charger. I just added it to recargo today.

I'm hoping Elon sends a little love to the Northwest.

Thanks for the offer Chad, you'll probably be hearing from me! It says on plugshare that they have jacked the charge up to $4.31 cents a kW at that location!! is that true? that's crazy high...

I haven't been there in a while, but it is a Roadster HPC with no way to charge a fee. I am sure somebody on the NW list would have complained if they really paid that for electricity!

Come to think of it, a friend borrowed my adapter about 3 weeks ago and used that charger twice. Somebody else borrowed my adapter and went through there about 5 weeks ago. Neither mentioned any charge.

Update: heard from a friend that was there last week. He verified that there is no fee to use the HPC in Ellensburg. I will put a note in Plugshare.

Last edited:
ah, that's good news. I got that from plug share, for the one on N Main and W 3rd, a guy named David posted that on 11/20/12.

I haven't been there in a while, but it is a Roadster HPC with no way to charge a fee. I am sure somebody on the NW list would have complained if they really paid that for electricity!

Come to think of it, a friend borrowed my adapter about 3 weeks ago and used that charger twice. Somebody else borrowed my adapter and went through there about 5 weeks ago. Neither mentioned any charge.