Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter wait frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my car last night (9/8) and CHAdeMO adapter was in the trunk. I will test it in a few days and post some pics.

Wonderful News!

It would be great if you and others in Japan can pose some results charging for at least 30 mins and hopefully for more than an hour on various manufacturer models. In particular, how well does the Nissan $16,000 unit do? Are the continuous 50 kW overheat problems real?

Thanks ahead of time.

Wonderful News!

It would be great if you and others in Japan can pose some results charging for at least 30 mins and hopefully for more than an hour on various manufacturer models. In particular, how well does the Nissan $16,000 unit do? Are the continuous 50 kW overheat problems real?

Thanks ahead of time.

Chademos will usually start at around 120 miles/hour and than GO UP as they are amp constrained and the volts go up. There are 60 KW Blink Chademos who will give you 145 miles per hour. The Nissan units are crap, but the major overheat issue which results in the station switching off are easily resolved by removing the dirt on the air inlet. For the other overheating issues, charging will gradually be slowed down. However this only applies in temps above 90 degrees. Chademo is AWESOME for destination charging. In fact if the battery is above around 60 % its not slower than the supercharger !

As KIA announced they will support Chademo, we will have more stations coming up soon :) Unfortunately BMW opted for their "POS" 25 kw "fast charging" SAE plug. Who needs that ??

I got my car last night (9/8) and CHAdeMO adapter was in the trunk. I will test it in a few days and post some pics.
OMG!

That is AWESOME, but I mean, AWESOME news!

Can I request (detailed) pictures from:
- Adapter
- Locking
- How it presents itself when charging

I would love to know how many Amps/kW you get through it. So please set the charging to energy instead of distance.

The Nissan unit is 43kW max iirc. In New England there are two problems with this model.

1) Dealers aren't trained or inclined to clean or replace an air filter, leading to overheating and other failures.

2) No hood to prevent precipitation entering the fan. Thankfully, in some cases the station is sheltered.

Edit: According to http://evsolutions.avinc.com/uploads/products/Nissan DC FC sales sheet_092812_r3_v1.pdf rated output is 44kW.

Last edited:
9c01d51359a97892d874ecbc54768e29.jpg

Testing CHAdeMO adapter at Yebisu Garden Place parking at B4F.

f334d7dc6a9db7f2771af35114a5531d.jpg

Connect the adapter to the charger cable, read the charger instructions, connect the adapter to the Model S, then quickly start the charging by pressing the button on the charger. The car quickly times out!

7a23d51e128ad57c027d5662490a8d65.jpg

Charger screen (Hasetec).

08b516ce17afddc566998720c1308b10.jpg

Model S screen at 22kW. The charger is 25kW type, so it seems 3kW loss??

Testing CHAdeMO adapter at Yebisu Garden Place parking at B4F.

7a23d51e128ad57c027d5662490a8d65.jpg

Charger screen (Hasetec).

Model S screen at 22kW. The charger is 25kW type, so it seems 3kW loss??

A couple of things to note:
  • The Charger has State of Charge (SoC) info, displayed in the graphic and as 83%. It's interesting that the SoC info gets passed through the Supercharger and CHAdeMO interfaces.
  • The power on this screen is 390V x 61A or 23.8 kW, closeer to the 25 kW.
  • At this approximate SoC, I have seen 30kW charge rates in Colorado on a Supercharger recently. There is a lot of variability in charge rate in the taper depending on battery temperature.
  • The limit below 25kW could be the car or the charger. I agree; try again with a lower SoC. I suggest being at or below 50% when trying a 50kW CHAdeMO so any limits will be the Charger. Start even lower if you want to stress the longer term power output of the charger.

I will restate my interest in results with the $16,000 Nissan unit. For a location that already has 480 Volt service, if this (relatively) low price unit can reliably run for an extended period, with the adapter, this becomes a "Poor Man's Supercharger."

I will restate my interest in results with the $16,000 Nissan unit. For a location that already has 480 Volt service, if this (relatively) low price unit can reliably run for an extended period, with the adapter, this becomes a "Poor Man's Supercharger."

If you are referring to the Sumitomo 44kW Quickcharger model (tall, thin, not in these pictures), we have quite a few of them deployed at Nissan dealerships and elsewhere in the LA-Orange County area. Their reliability record has been better than the Blink QC, but they have experienced quite a few outages and repairs over the last year or two. I have no data on the causes of the problems. Some of them get used pretty heavily with LEAFs frequently waiting. Not quite the same as continuous charging for an hour+ like Teslas might do, but still heavy.

At which point it becomes clear that I don't understand the meaning of the word "Poor"...

That was, perhaps, a poor attempt at humor. Maybe I should have called this the "Economy Model" Supercharger. However at a total installed of $20k and up, it does make efforts in the style of Sun Country Highway and their related venture, North Central Washington high amperage L2 Charging Project, possible for CHAdeMO higher power installs.

Because most of these units have a maximum current in the range of 125 Amps, the real, typical power limit will be 45 kW for good part of charging on an 85 while the Voltage is ~360 Volts, but that's still not bad, especially for single charger Teslas. 45 kW is still about 150 mph charging for a Tesla.

Initial "Beta" Testing in Japan is Brilliant!!!

Doing the initial rollout of the CHAdeMO adapter in Japan is a brilliant move on Tesla's part. When you put a new product in the hands of new users, they always find ways to use it that the design and test team did not consider or test for. Having a small number of users in a small region with many and varied CHAdeMO chargers available is a great way to do initial, real customer testing. Any problems can be fixed and rolled out to the small customer base quickly and efficiently.

I'll re-try at lower SOC, but bear with me I don't have a long commute in Tokyo. :D

So next time I'll visit one of the Nissan dealers... Never been there... I think I need to pick up one of the authentication cards before going!

The Chademo Standard requires the car to be powered off in order to start the charge session. In your photos, it doesn't look like that is the case (trunk open). Try closing and locking the car; that should allow the charging session to begin :)

If you are referring to the Sumitomo 44kW Quickcharger model (tall, thin, not in these pictures), we have quite a few of them deployed at Nissan dealerships and elsewhere in the LA-Orange County area. Their reliability record has been better than the Blink QC, but they have experienced quite a few outages and repairs over the last year or two. I have no data on the causes of the problems. Some of them get used pretty heavily with LEAFs frequently waiting. Not quite the same as continuous charging for an hour+ like Teslas might do, but still heavy.

Here is the number one problem of the 44kW Nissan / Sumitomo charger; plugged air filter and overheating:

imagejpg1-2.jpg

This is one of our first two installed Nissan units, installed July 2014, and they can't go very long without maintenance. No, it's not a particularly dusty area of the Marriott Courtyard hotel in Orange County, California.