Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter wait frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reached out to onlineorders to find out where I was on the list (I got on the list in late-April 2014): am somewhere near 385.

Got the email to place an order today. Fired away. Looking forward to using it.

Btw, noticed something interesting in the email that I got (something of interest for 60 kWh owners); apologies if this was called out before:

This adapter is specifically for the North American version Model S. In addition to purchasing the CHAdeMO adapter ($450), fast charging onboard hardware must be activated for Model S without Supercharging enabled. 85 kWh Model S has Supercharging enabled from the factory.

Customers who may use the Tesla Supercharging network in the future are encouraged to purchase supercharging activation ($2500) instead of fast charging onboard activation ($1900). Fast charging activation will only allow for CHAdeMO charging.

I guess folks who are in the Supercharger desert but are interested in CHAdeMO alone have a slightly cheaper activation option.

Got it :) Will test in a couple of hours ;)

image1.JPG

Yeah, no clue why the pic was upside down :D Worked like charm, even didn't care that it took us a good 5 minutes to press the start button on the ABB charger, started nicely charging immediately. The charger was limited to 35kW so I only got 30kW charging rate from it (the in-town ones are limited, out of town ones are most 45kW, gonna test one when I get to any, but I guess I'll get around 40kW). But what I liked was that with AC oftentimes if the charger stopped the session, then the car would error out and one would need to remove the cable and replug to make it work again, in case of CHAdeMO I could stop it from the charger and restart it from there and the car nicely picked it up immediately. No errors, no fuss. In about 20 minutes that I spent chatting with the ABB engineer I got 11% of the battery so quite in line with ~30kW charging and some of it went to heating as well I think as part time we had the doors open and it's +3C outside... Now I can definitely make even same day trips to Riga even without any chargers in Latvia as I needed around 250-300km extra range which was pain to pick up in a single charger AC, but would be 1h stop in both directions, easily allocatable and a remedy until 2016 when the supercharger network is supposed to arrive ;)

Same here, I asked to be added to the waitlist in November '14 (got my P85D on 12/12/2014) but still haven't seen any emails regarding availability.

At the same time, with more and more superchargers coming online in NorCal recently (Petaluma, Manteca, Rocklin and soon Napa & some peninsula/South Bay location), I'm seeing less and less need -and value- to using CHAdeMO altogether.

So even if the ordering became available today, I'm not so sure I'd be jumping on the opportunity to buy one.

I'm guessing this type of thinking is contributing to the rapid backlog reduction :biggrin: