Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imagine my surprise to learn that the cost is $1K to me since I have supercharging enabled. But if I was buying a new model with SC or adding SC after the purchase, the effective cost is $400. Just another piece of their "screw the early adopters" policy. I fail to find the logic behind this pricing.

I don't think you are interpreting this correctly. "Adapter + Onboard Hardware Activation" means that they activate CHAdeMO charging only, not supercharging. Or, at least, that's my interpretation.

Hmm, you may be right though it is somewhat ambiguous. I assume that it uses the same DC charging HW.

I'm sure it is the same onboard hardware. But when you pay for supercharger activation, you're really subsidizing the installation and operation of the superchargers. Makes sense that if you only what to use CHAdeMO chargers, which don't cost Tesla anything, you should get a discount.

I don't think you are interpreting this correctly. "Adapter + Onboard Hardware Activation" means that they activate CHAdeMO charging only, not supercharging. Or, at least, that's my interpretation.
I disproved this many months ago, and confirmed the wording with Tesla. The "Activation" is to enable Supercharging capabilities on the car. The ADAPTER will WORK with ALL supercharging enabled cars.

I like the idea of having another fast charging option so I decided to call some of these Nissan dealerships to see how agreeable they would be to me using their Chademo chargers. We have 2 dealerships within a 50 mile radius of our home in southern NH and both basically told me politely No Way! The other disadvantage is that they're only available during business hours. So I think this would be a waste of money. So far I've seen just a couple of Chademos that weren't owned by Nissan dealers.

I like the idea of having another fast charging option so I decided to call some of these Nissan dealerships to see how agreeable they would be to me using their Chademo chargers. We have 2 dealerships within a 50 mile radius of our home in southern NH and both basically told me politely No Way! The other disadvantage is that they're only available during business hours. So I think this would be a waste of money. So far I've seen just a couple of Chademos that weren't owned by Nissan dealers.

There are areas wher there are plenty of public, non-dealership Chademo stations. Mostly in the Pacific Northwest, California, and Phoenix markets.

well then, my original point seems to hold - very poor pricing on the adapter.

I'm puzzled about why this is poor pricing. If you buy an expensive piece of hardware, they give you a break on the software needed to use it.

If you already own the software, I suppose you are worse off than if you'd waited to buy both together. But, then again, you've been using the software for some period of time for other things.

I mean, I like free stuff too, and I'd be happy to pay less for the CHAdeMO adapter. But the pricing seems perfectly rational to me.

With winter's end fast approaching, I thought I would take a closer look at the chademo adapter. (Since that means we are getting close to the adapter being available in like, say, 4 or 5 months)
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/chademo-adapter

Imagine my surprise to learn that the cost is $1K to me since I have supercharging enabled. But if I was buying a new model with SC or adding SC after the purchase, the effective cost is $400. Just another piece of their "screw the early adopters" policy. I fail to find the logic behind this pricing.

edit: and it also looks like the P85 or P85+ customers have to pay $1K as well.

Phil -
I came to a similar conclusion after reading that description, and I sent an email to ownership to complain.

They clarified that for cars that don't have supercharging enabled, that the $2400 before delivery or $2900 after delivery is in addition to enabling Supercharging... The verbiage on that page is not clear, but apparently there will be 3 tiers:
- No DC charging enabled (60s only)
- CHAdeMO only
- Supercharging and Chademo (if you buy the adapter)...

Very confusing if that is the case...

Phil -
I came to a similar conclusion after reading that description, and I sent an email to ownership to complain.

They clarified that for cars that don't have supercharging enabled, that the $2400 before delivery or $2900 after delivery is in addition to enabling Supercharging... The verbiage on that page is not clear, but apparently there will be 3 tiers:
- No DC charging enabled (60s only)
- CHAdeMO only
- Supercharging and Chademo (if you buy the adapter)...

Very confusing if that is the case...

This reinforces my belief that the people at Tesla answering these questions don't know what they're talking about. (It wouldn't be the first time that Tesla has demonstrated that have huge internal and external communication problems.) The part about $2400 or $2900 being in addition to supercharging doesn't make sense. The web site is at least clear that the adapter is $1000 if you already have supercharging enabled.

This reinforces my belief that the people at Tesla answering these questions don't know what they're talking about. (It wouldn't be the first time that Tesla has demonstrated that have huge internal and external communication problems.) The part about $2400 or $2900 being in addition to supercharging doesn't make sense. The web site is at least clear that the adapter is $1000 if you already have supercharging enabled.

I agree... simplest would be:

Supercharging $2k
CHAdeMO Adapter $1k

Oh, you didn't buy Supercharging before you ordered your car? That's $500 more...

No kidding. If you already have your car you pay $2500 to enable Supercharging, $1000 for the adaptor, and then a $1900 "you didn't enable Supercharging before buying the adaptor" fee? That's pretty obviously incorrect. Someone at Tesla was just confused.

If all the reps being asked also reference to the same page or an internal document that is worded the same way, I can see how even the reps can get confused. That page really needs to be updated and simplified ASAP, but I guess this is a low priority given the adapter isn't even out yet.

Maybe fw6 will introduce a new CHAdeMO activation feature. I'm guessing the adapter has been delayed for fw6 anyway.

IMO, Tesla shouldn't be charging to enable SC in markets where there are no (or very few) SCs. For example, we may have 3 or 4 SCs in the UK at some point before 2015, but there are hundreds of CHAdeMO charge points. The SC activation fee for S60 owners is the equivalent of 11,250 miles in a high-performance diesel car. Buying a CHAdeMO adapter puts that number up to 16,250 miles - and CHAdeMO charging is not always free.

It would have been ideal if they could have bundled the adapter with the car in the UK, as they will in Japan, at least until the SC network is up and running here.

Maybe fw6 will introduce a new CHAdeMO activation feature. I'm guessing the adapter has been delayed for fw6 anyway.

IMO, Tesla shouldn't be charging to enable SC in markets where there are no (or very few) SCs. For example, we may have 3 or 4 SCs in the UK at some point before 2015, but there are hundreds of CHAdeMO charge points.

It would be clearer if they called it a DC charging activation fee, as it's tied to all DC charging, not just Supercharging.