Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just asked Jérôme a follow up on the CHAdeMO adaptor. This time, he is more «vague» about the January timeline!

«Thank you for your multiple messages. We are working as fast as possible to make as many CHAdeMO as possible.

Thanks again

Jerome Guillen I VP, WW sales and service»

Seem like he means that they are in production. Maybe they are just trying to get enough in stock so as not to immediately sell out!

I have my doubts as the software says you can accept DC charging or not; it can't differentiate between plugs AFAIK.

• J1772 is extremely simple. Just a series of voltages with resistor dividers in time-sequenced steps to "handshake" the charging, and then a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) duty cycle to communicate available amperage.
  • CHAdeMO is a whole different animal. CHAdeMO charging requires full CAN bus communication with the EV. The charger and the EV exchange literally millions of packets during the charge.
  • We don't know what Tesla UMC/Wall Connectors, nor Superchargers, do to communicate with the car (do we?).

Even not knowing exactly what the SC does, it is very easy to propose the car software could easily tell the difference. All Tesla would have to do is include even one flag in one packet that CHAdeMO does not. Or send an entire packet that CHAdeMo does not. Or lots of other similar things. In short, during CHAdeMO charging, you have two computers talking to each other... and that conversation is very likely quite different from a Supercharger<>Car conversation.

Right--and there is the adapter, too, which could send its own handshake to the car that a) still enables DC, but b) is different in some meaningful way from the signal that the supercharger sends.

CHAdeMO adapters delivering

IMAG1077.jpg

I jut got delivered the CHAdeMO adapter for my S, ordered a bit more than a year ago. The question now is - is it still useful? :)

Edit: More pics added to OP.
IMG_1384.JPG

IMG_1385.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 70624
I jut got delivered the CHAdeMO adapter for my S, ordered a bit more than a year ago. The question now is - is it still useful? :)

When ordering my Model S, I did not opt for the dual chargers, as back then I expected the CHAdeMO adapter would be more useful. I'm doubting that now, though I do not really regret, not having dual chargers, as I have never needed them up till now. Still I am curious for an answer on this question...

Got a call from TS yesterday that the adapter is available and will someone be at home to collect if delivered? In a couple of hours, it was hand-delivered by someone from Tesla (wearing a Tesla-branded jacket anyway). Haven't had the time to open and check etc.

Got a call from TS yesterday that the adapter is available and will someone be at home to collect if delivered? In a couple of hours, it was hand-delivered by someone from Tesla (wearing a Tesla-branded jacket anyway). Haven't had the time to open and check etc.

What are you still doing here on the forum? Go to the nearest CHAdeMO station and check it out :)

We (or at least I) am anxious to see how it works!

So... you're not a beta tester and have forgotten about it during the long wait, right? :smile: (if you are not a beta tester, you are allowed to state so here, otherwise you'll have to answer creatively ;-)

• We don't know what Tesla UMC/Wall Connectors, nor Superchargers, do to communicate with the car (do we?).

Yes we do. Superchargers use CAN signaling on the pilot pin, and the syntax is pretty similar to CHAdeMO. But there's a whole authentication flow with the SC (the car's VIN is signaled to the supercharger before charging begins) which would not exist with CHAdeMO.

The car knows exactly what it's plugged into, and whether or not to allow charging based on what options the car owner has or has not paid for.