Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Skn's location in its profile is Amsterdam, so it should be the European version?

Yup, I am based in Amsterdam and so is the S.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm... I just got a notification of a software update. Given that I did update to 6.1 recently, this new message seems odd. Anyway wont have time to update till night. Will let you know if it is anything related to CHAdeMO or just incremental fixes dripping through.

you-are-the-chosen-one.jpg

I will try to drain the battery and then try to charge. Anything else I need to do?

I think that this will be very CHAdeMO charger dependent. Most chargers have a current and a power limit.

For example, the Nissan CHAdeMO units are limited to 125 Amps and 50 kW. A nearly empty battery on an 85 is about 360 Volts. 360V * 125A = 45kW, so a nearly empty battery will only get 45kW from such a charger. When nearly full, the 85 battery is at about 400V, and 400V*125A=50kW, but the 85 can't accept 50kW at that State of charge.

Every CHAdeMO will be a little different in it's limitations and how well it can charge a Tesla.

Let's just hope that the sustained power draw of an MS does not cook too many CHAdeMO chargers that were tested with much lower capacity cars. :eek: If the CHAdeMO interface provides charger make/model info, then Tesla may be throttling charger draw on known weaker chargers to avoid overloading CHAdeMO's designed to charge a car the size of a Leaf.

I thought superchargers used PLC signaling like the CCS standard. It was previously said Model S just needed a dumb CCS adapter as opposed to CHAdeMO needing an active adapter.

That's what many of us believed, based on public statements from Tesla about it being "the same as SAE DC, apart from the connector".

However, when people started reverse-engineering the protocol (there was a thread on here about a year ago) the Supercharger turns out to be a simple CAN bus over the pilot pins, so actually closer in some senses to CHAdeMO than to CCS.