Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One difference is that the Tesla 10 kW units are single-phase, wired in sets of 3 in 3-phase Y configuration, 277V phase to neutral, and I believe everyone else's modules are 3-phase. When I saw an Eaton 50 kW CHAdeMO being worked on several years ago, I could see the 3-phase structure (sets of 3 coils) in each 10 kW drawer. The Tesla design is more compact and simpler inside, and the production volume is high, keeping the price low.

Except that the module Tesla uses in Europa is 3 phase
Forcing Tesla to have 2 diffrent modules
The could just use the EU version is the US at is support both 1 phase and 3 phase charging

I've received word, that the EU adapter should start shipping this quarter. That info came from Tesla. Initially the backorders will be filled as the availability will initially be limited. Not sure if that means people who ordered the adapter a long time ago (like me, in 2013) or those who ordered with the car and payd for it already. There are a number of those in Estonia that I know of for sure. We'll see as January ends this week so Jerome's promise of US adaptor in Jan is a good test of Tesla time, then we can calibrate this Q1 info too ;)

Except that the module Tesla uses in Europa is 3 phase
Forcing Tesla to have 2 diffrent modules
The could just use the EU version is the US at is support both 1 phase and 3 phase charging

For Superchargers, they're both "3 phase" in that 3 phase power is required to be delivered to the vehicle. Whether US or Europe, DC power is delivered to the vehicle, so the difference between the cars' chargers doesn't make a difference.

While I haven't been reading threads here as deeply as I used to, as of 3 months ago, the methods that were used by Tesla to generate DC in the US Superchargers (individual 10 kW chargers using 277V L-N, balanced across phases on 480VAC L-L 3-phase service) are the same methods that Tesla uses internally to the car in Europe (3 individual "sub-chargers" that use 230V L-N, balanced across phases on 400VAC L-L 3-phase service). There's no reason to suspect that Tesla does anything differently, unless there are some places it cannot get a wye based 3-phase service. In that case, I'd like to understand it a bit better. There's no reason the same Supercharger cabinets can't be used in Europe vs. the US (although European cabinets will need more of the chargers because L-N is 230VAC vs. 277VAC). In both cases, 15 chargers in the cabinet (5 each phase) is sufficient to produce 135 kW (230V * 40A * 15 chargers = 138 kW Europe, vs. 277V * 40A * 15 chargers = 166 kW US).

There's no reason the same Supercharger cabinets can't be used in Europe vs. the US (although European cabinets will need more of the chargers because L-N is 230VAC vs. 277VAC). In both cases, 15 chargers in the cabinet (5 each phase) is sufficient to produce 135 kW (230V * 40A * 15 chargers = 138 kW Europe, vs. 277V * 40A * 15 chargers = 166 kW US).

There's an informative spec sheet visible as part of a planning application for a supercharger site in the UK:

http://pa.midkent.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=NALJNRTY0VS00

The 5th document ("Tesla Supercharger Specification") shows each cabinet delivering 120kW DC out if supplied with 400V AC (230V phase-neutral), 145kW if supplied at 480V (277V), 115kW if supplied at 380V (220V).

The input for all options is specified at 192A per phase, so this looks very much like 12 of the chargers used in European-spec cars.

My understanding was that the cabinets have always had 12 modules in them.

Possibly they are indeed using the same Superchargers now in North America too - but using the European modules since they have a higher power rating than the original ones (hence the 2nd gen sites in the USA with higher power per cabinet).

Has anyone else noticed the copy on the product page has changed to no longer say that Supercharging is required for the CHAdeMO adapter to work? This could be great news for the MS60s that haven't paid for it yet, but would happily tool around with a CHAdeMO adapter for when they wanted it? I think allowing them the use of the adapter without forcing them to activate Supercharging is very cool.

Now if they'd just release the damn thing!

Chademo Adapter Description.jpg

I just captured that from shop.teslamotors.com on 27 January 2015. No substantive change that I can see.

Has anyone else noticed the copy on the product page has changed to no longer say that Supercharging is required for the CHAdeMO adapter to work? This could be great news for the MS60s that haven't paid for it yet, but would happily tool around with a CHAdeMO adapter for when they wanted it? I think allowing them the use of the adapter without forcing them to activate Supercharging is very cool.

Now if they'd just release the damn thing!

Frankly that is the way it should be. Supercharging is a Tesla service that is prepayed. Using a CHADeMo station has nothing to do with Tesla.

You will still have to pay. The fee just won't be as large as the supercharger activation fee. There was briefly pricing shown in the accessories store for this I believe.

The end of January quickly approaches. I wonder when they will let us buy them. I agree that the Supercharger activation needs to be paid for, to allow access. However, the same charger bypass action that the car does for Supercharging is used for CHAdeMO charging. I think the firmware update to allow CHAdeMO charging on S60s without Supercharging should be included in the cost of the adapter. It's odd they would need a visit to a Service Center, though. I've seen a S60 owner activate Supercharging over the phone.

As for the extra fees if your car isn't Supercharger enabled, the total price was the adapter (then $1000) plus activating Supercharging. That's a hefty price for S60 owners just to use CHAdeMO. See the changelog link I put earlier.

Strictly speaking that doesn't say you'll have to pay for Supercharger enabling, just that hardware needs to be activated.

Well, I think it's implied that you'll have to to pay for activation. Otherwise there's no reason to mention it. And they were always vague about whether you could pay to only activate CHAdeMO, or you had to pay for supercharger activation, as well.

Well, I think it's implied that you'll have to to pay for activation. Otherwise there's no reason to mention it. And they were always vague about whether you could pay to only activate CHAdeMO, or you had to pay for supercharger activation, as well.

There's a difference between having to pay for CHAdeMO activation and having to pay the same price as Supercharger activation. I think the new language suggests--especially in contrast to the old language--that the activation charge for CHAdeMO will be less than the amount you pay for Supercharging.

There's a difference between having to pay for CHAdeMO activation and having to pay the same price as Supercharger activation. I think the new language suggests--especially in contrast to the old language--that the activation charge for CHAdeMO will be less than the amount you pay for Supercharging.

They used to break it down as follows:

Adapter: $1000
Adapter + Activation (before delivery): $2,400
Adapter + Activation (after delivery): $2,900

Considering supercharger activation is $2000/$2500, I think it was implied that this "activation" was not full supercharger activation. (There was much debate about that, though.) So I think the only thing that has changed since then is the pricing.