Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For reference, I signed up for the adapter (and was acknowledged) on 10/11/2013.

There is a local Nissan dealership (about 3 mi from my place) with Chademo and it is free. I use it with my Leaf on occasion. It's an ABB unit. That is where I will try it out when the adapter arrives. Its located on the side of the dealership where there's not too much foot traffic from the staff. I wonder if they will give me trouble if I try to use it.
How long do you think it will be free at the Nissan dealership when something other than a Leaf tries to use it?

The UK is covered by CHAdeMOs that are derived from that Nissan unit. There are literally hundreds at highway rest stops. Unfortunately they are unreliable. Around 25% offline as I write and you have no guarantee that one might not fail on your charging session. Two rounds of upgrades by the operator and manufacturer have not improved the situation, in fact they stopped the latest effort because it was making things worse. There is not one single failure mode either.

That's worrying that Japanese friends are reporting incompatibilities with the Model S too.

If you want reliable, the stats are hugely in favour of the ABB units. In fact a Dutch network ripped out their Nissan derived ones and replaced them with ABB.

Not fully true. Those Nissan chargers (The New Motion network) were replaced by Efaco chargers. FastNed is using ABB chargers and some others in the Netherlands.

Thanks for the input David...this makes me wonder about getting this adapter at all...especially if Japan, the "bastion" of CHAdeMO charge stations is having problems...

The UK is covered by CHAdeMOs that are derived from that Nissan unit. There are literally hundreds at highway rest stops. Unfortunately they are unreliable. Around 25% offline as I write and you have no guarantee that one might not fail on your charging session. Two rounds of upgrades by the operator and manufacturer have not improved the situation, in fact they stopped the latest effort because it was making things worse. There is not one single failure mode either.

That's worrying that Japanese friends are reporting incompatibilities with the Model S too.

If you want reliable, the stats are hugely in favour of the ABB units. In fact a Dutch network ripped out their Nissan derived ones and replaced them with ABB.

There is a local Nissan dealership (about 3 mi from my place) with Chademo and it is free. I use it with my Leaf on occasion. It's an ABB unit. That is where I will try it out when the adapter arrives. Its located on the side of the dealership where there's not too much foot traffic from the staff. I wonder if they will give me trouble if I try to use it.

You most likely will have the same big disappointment when arriving there ! The ABB unit I used is a LYING 25 KW unit, i.e. it is 500 volt 50 amps. So the max rate at the end of charging for the MS is about 20KW. I ended up charging 3.5 hours instead of the planned 2 !!!

I could not believe it, they spend THOUSANDS of dollars for a charger which delivers the same as a 650 $ HPWC, what a crap !!

You most likely will have the same big disappointment when arriving there ! The ABB unit I used is a LYING 25 KW unit, i.e. it is 500 volt 50 amps. So the max rate at the end of charging for the MS is about 20KW. I ended up charging 3.5 hours instead of the planned 2 !!!

I could not believe it, they spend THOUSANDS of dollars for a charger which delivers the same as a 650 $ HPWC, what a crap !!

They bought it for cars that otherwise can't get more than 3.3kW or 6.0kW, so ~23kW is quite an improvement. Especially when you consider that due to small batteries in LEAFs there's only a 5-7 minute difference for 0-80% at 23kW instead of 46kW (tapering also is a factor.)

They also may have a problem with "power on demand" charges if set to 50kW.

I received my email from Tesla yesterday and ordered the adapter. I also signed up with NRG eVgo to use their CHAdeMO station in San Diego. Finally, I'll have a fast-charging option.

Excellent!

Mine arrived this past week (on wait list in 2013). Unfortunately It was fully raining and the CHAdeMO DC Fast Charger I planned to try is uncovered. It shouldn't be a problem in the rain, but....

hmm interesting bit of information in the manual for the CHAdeMO Adapter
The location of the charge port will vary depending on your vehicle model
wonder if they plan to move the charging port on the Model X or III
Great catch. The current location is rather convenient for most typical "in your home garage" charging situations. But for public charging locations the Leaf style "front of the car" seems much better.
I guess the logic is the other way around, though. Most of the public chargers were designed with only the Leaf in mind.

Tesla can't move it without causing significant problems at the superchargers.
Well, that depends on where they move it to. Moving it "around the corner" to the rear of the car wouldn't make a difference at the superchargers but would make things easier on some CHAdeMO chargers with very short cables (that are designed for the Leaf assuming the charging plug to be front and center).