Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't see Tesla changing the charge port location just to make it easier to use some Chademo charging stations. If Chademo manufacturers want their stations to have more business they can install longer cables. As more superchargers are built over the next few years the slower, costly, and less reliable Chademo will mostly be used by Teslas in niche markets anyway.

the problem is probably more related to public charging where you often have to park nose in or parallel
I know of several locations where it is impossible for me to charge, simply because i can't legally park in a way where the cable will reach

Interesting. Maybe dual charge ports on the X? Tesla connector where it now, Chademo/CCS in the front?

Especially I can't see them go to having TWO charge ports. That's so not the way Tesla tends to do things.

I'd love a second charge port. One on drivers side and one on passengers side. Almost every instance of public charging for me (not counting Superchargers) would have been made immensely easier if a charge port was behind the passengers side reflector. That, and C'mon people, curb side charging. Technically it's possible now, but if another vehicle drives by just a bit too close and you have some major MAJOR damage.

Well the adapter naturally is downward pointed with the CHAdeMO connector from the charger connecting inside it. Was looking at the charger with one of ABB engineers and we concluded that it'd in fact be quite ok with rain as it's highly unlikely that the water would crawl upward enough to reach any of the power transfer lines. It's far more likely in the case of Leaf where the CHAdeMO cable connects downward and the accepting plug is wider so water could in theory collect and seep through, not so with Tesla's adapter. So I'd not be too worried if I start charging and walk away and then heavy rain hits. Worst case the chargers and adapter should have failsafe breakers in place to disconnect when a short is identified...

Well the adapter naturally is downward pointed with the CHAdeMO connector from the charger connecting inside it. Was looking at the charger with one of ABB engineers and we concluded that it'd in fact be quite ok with rain as it's highly unlikely that the water would crawl upward enough to reach any of the power transfer lines. It's far more likely in the case of Leaf where the CHAdeMO cable connects downward and the accepting plug is wider so water could in theory collect and seep through, not so with Tesla's adapter. So I'd not be too worried if I start charging and walk away and then heavy rain hits. Worst case the chargers and adapter should have failsafe breakers in place to disconnect when a short is identified...
Additionally, there is no power (except 12V) when you connect. And the power is ramped up slowly, so if there's any issue the charger can shut down right away before any danger occurs to a user.

I'd love a second charge port. One on drivers side and one on passengers side. Almost every instance of public charging for me (not counting Superchargers) would have been made immensely easier if a charge port was behind the passengers side reflector.

I'd love a second port too, but for a different reason. To use the dual chargers independently of each other, with two outlets. Twice the speed where available :)

Managed to have a non-rainy day to use the CHAdeMO adapter in a 40kW DC Quick Charger. The unit ramped quickly to about 116MPH, and did not taper while the Tesla charged to 90%.

It is interesting that the svelte $750 HPWC I use at home yields 59mph (dual chargers). The DC Quick Charger, requires a forklift to install it on a dedicated concrete slab, and uses a 200 amp 3 phase circuit... all for 2x the charging rate (and a $450 adapter!).

Managed to have a non-rainy day to use the CHAdeMO adapter in a 40kW DC Quick Charger. The unit ramped quickly to about 116MPH, and did not taper while the Tesla charged to 90%.

It is interesting that the svelte $750 HPWC I use at home yields 59mph (dual chargers). The DC Quick Charger, requires a forklift to install it on a dedicated concrete slab, and uses a 200 amp 3 phase circuit... all for 2x the charging rate (and a $450 adapter!).

Been using my adaptor yesterday and I now understand why Tesla created their own standard for DC charging. CHAdeMO will be handy at time but so cumbersome.

Apples and oranges. The HPWC is nothnig but some cables and a few simple electronics handling the safety features. The charger itself is built into your car, hooked up to the liquid cooling system of the car. The CHAdeMO charger is a complete charging system that has more than twice the power capacity of the dual chargers. It needs it's own transformer, cooling system, it's own case, UI display, payment system, ... The HPWC contains (almost) nothing because the rest is built into the car. Any DC charger needs to have everything.