Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chademo Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 70d collected last Monday is currently outside charging 22mi/HR 236v 32/32A

Yes, but does it have one or two physical chargers? Need to check under the rear seats to know for certain.

Another indication would be to look at the way the current ramps up when you first start charging - with dual chargers, you see it quickly do 1A/2A/3A....16A, then there's a pause while the second charger wakes up and in then starts climbing 17/18/19...32A. If you see it ramp up smoothly all the way from 0 to 32, then it's probably a genuine single charger with the new junction box arrangements (or however they've done it), though that's obviously not as conclusive as looking under the seat and finding empty space.

Well I haven't paid for a second charger and you only benefit from a second charger if you have 3 phase supply available .

Historically, that's only been true of UK cars - other EU cars with single charger could do 32A with the UMC but only 16A on a standard type2 chargepoint.

UK cars were all delivered with dual chargers whether you paid for them or not, with software contrived so that you could only use the 2nd charger to achieve 32A single phase unless you had paid for it.

It is believed that this practice has/will stop, with a change to the cars to allow 32A single phase on cars physically fitted with only one charger (by some kind of contactor to replicate the wiring inside the UMC). Hence my interest in whether your newly-delivered car has one or two chargers physically fitted. However, if you are charging with the UMC from a commando socket then there is no easy way to tell (other than lifting the rear seat bases).

If you have a single charger in your car, CHAdeMO is hugely, dramatically better. If you have dual chargers, it's still much more useful. If you have single charger and are thinking of getting the 2nd one fitted, the CHAdeMO is much cheaper and more useful.

Note that your car can't make use of the full 43kW AC available from those AC chargepoints. With a single charger, you will get 11kW (33 miles range per hour of charge), with dual charger 22kW (66 mph). With CHAdeMO, the charging speed is more variable, but under the best circumstances you will get 48kW (~140mph), more typically 38kW (~120mph).

But the raw numbers don't really make the point. For trips in the UK, most really long distance trips you can route via supercharger(s), and short ones you obviously don't need to charge at all. The challenge is out-and-back day trips of say 200-300 miles round trip where the diversion to pass a supercharger is disproportionate. For this sort of trip you are only looking to take on board 50-100 miles of charge, and with CHAdeMO that's a single lunch stop or a coffee stop in each direction. But with single charger, that's 2-4 hours, and even with dual charger it's 1-2 hours - which can't really be absorbed into natural stops and becomes a chore.

what a great and helpful answer ^. thanks.

I notice that Chademo charging does not taper as rapidly as supercharger charging. At 230 mi. State of charge, a supercharger is adding about 90 mi/hr into my A-pack. Chademo adds about 110 mi/hr at same state of charge. Is Chademo charging worse for the battery than supercharging?

Last edited:
I notice that Chademo charging does not taper as rapidly as supercharger charging. At 230 mi. State of charge, a supercharger is adding about 90 mi/hr into my A-pack. Chademo adds about 110 mi/hr at same state of charge. Is Chademo charging worse for the battery than supercharging?

How are you measuring those "mi/hr" numbers? The mi/hr shown on the display is useless for comparisons, since it is an average across the whole charge. Looking at the amps would be more informative.

I believe the taper is substantially the same for both, but I don't know that for certain.

Hi guys

This is my first postal sorry if it's a stupid one....

I was under the impression that UK Teslas now shipped with a Chademo adapter have I got this completely wrong? Is it just a standard 3 pin it ships with?

Mine is due to arrive at the end of July and thought I'd read somewhere that it was included...

Many thanks.

Matt

Chademo has to be bought from TESLA shop not included in the standard charging kit that comes with the Car.

In Japan, Tesla Motors includes the CHAdeMO adapter with the standard charging kit. There could be other markets where this would make sense as well --- an abondance of CHAdeMO stations and a (temporary) lack of Superchargers. Estonia comes to mind.

HAve just ordered my MS.
Looking at charging options.
Looking at Chademo adapter as I've few around where I live which has the option for DC charging with Chademo.
I cant find how much it costs for the adapter.
Also heard some overheating and sometimes incompatibility problems.
Wondering if anybody has it and how use it is and if there are any issues.

On another note- has anybody bought a centre console? how much and where can i find it?

I Just purchased a CHAdeMO adapter from the Tesla Stockport garage for £404 inc vat. They are also taking orders for the new centre console coming soon for £995 inc vat and fitting.

I agree with Arg, my P85 has dual chargers and I use my CHAdeMO adaptor regularly. My experiences are:
13 amp charging cable: 5 miles per hour
My home 32 amp single phase charger: 18mph
Ecotricity AC with Menekes 2 plug: 60mph
Ecotricity CHAdeMO: 120mph
Supercharger: 200+mph

I bought my CHAdeMO adaptor from Tesla Gatwick for £370 inc. VAT

I'd always pick a Supercharger if I can. If you have to make a 10-20 mile detour to reach one the extra wasted time can mean your overall journey time is just as quick by taking the CHAdeMO option

Hopefully new S75D arriving end of this month, so got some prices yesterday :

Comes with = 13 amp wall charging cable with adapter at one end. Adapter can be used to connect 32amp 3-pin. Thats it.

CHAdeMO = £350
Type 2 Male - Female = £180
Tesla Wall Charger = £398 or £438 with 7.5m lead

Model S can be ordered with front only cooling seats I was told, the new rear cup holders are on the X and not on the S as yet?