Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chademo Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HAve just ordered my MS.
Looking at charging options.
Looking at Chademo adapter as I've few around where I live which has the option for DC charging with Chademo.
I cant find how much it costs for the adapter.
Also heard some overheating and sometimes incompatibility problems.
Wondering if anybody has it and how use it is and if there are any issues.

On another note- has anybody bought a centre console? how much and where can i find it?

Looking at Chademo adapter as I've few around where I live which has the option for DC charging with Chademo.
I cant find how much it costs for the adapter.
Also heard some overheating and sometimes incompatibility problems.
Wondering if anybody has it and how use it is and if there are any issues.

I paid £292+shipping+VAT = £362.11 (though I wouldn't be surprised if the price goes up and down with exchange rates).

It works well. The overheating and unreliability problems are with the charging stations (particularly ones made by DBT, which unfortunately are the most common) rather than Tesla's adapter, apply equally to other vehicles (Leafs, BMWs etc) using these sites. The Tesla software currently limits you to 30 minutes at full power (continuing at lower power if you stay connected) to reduce the risk of overheating the charger.

I have not had any compatibility problems; the only ones I have heard about from other people are that the Ecotricity point at Swaffham in Norfolk is incompatible. All of the other Ecotricity sites appear to work at least as well with Model S as with any other car.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Tesla Westfield quoted the following when I enquired last week:

Roof rack – Whisp bar Flushbar - £240
Cargo nets – Front trunk £15

Cargo shelf – included as standard (luggage cover)
Premium centre console £500
All weather rubber floor mats - £170

Adaptors for Non-Tesla charging stations - £70 each adapter (Schuko, Red, Blue)
3 Phase Type 2 cable £160
Chademo adaptor £350

• Informative
I'm trying to decide whether to buy an adapter. I've not had my car long but so far I've found a fair few 43kw type 2 chargers around (pretty much everywhere that I have found a 50KW CHAdeMO charger). How much better are the CHAdeMO chargers? £350 worth better?

I'm trying to decide whether to buy an adapter. I've not had my car long but so far I've found a fair few 43kw type 2 chargers around (pretty much everywhere that I have found a 50KW CHAdeMO charger). How much better are the CHAdeMO chargers? £350 worth better?

If you have a single charger in your car, CHAdeMO is hugely, dramatically better. If you have dual chargers, it's still much more useful. If you have single charger and are thinking of getting the 2nd one fitted, the CHAdeMO is much cheaper and more useful.

Note that your car can't make use of the full 43kW AC available from those AC chargepoints. With a single charger, you will get 11kW (33 miles range per hour of charge), with dual charger 22kW (66 mph). With CHAdeMO, the charging speed is more variable, but under the best circumstances you will get 48kW (~140mph), more typically 38kW (~120mph).

But the raw numbers don't really make the point. For trips in the UK, most really long distance trips you can route via supercharger(s), and short ones you obviously don't need to charge at all. The challenge is out-and-back day trips of say 200-300 miles round trip where the diversion to pass a supercharger is disproportionate. For this sort of trip you are only looking to take on board 50-100 miles of charge, and with CHAdeMO that's a single lunch stop or a coffee stop in each direction. But with single charger, that's 2-4 hours, and even with dual charger it's 1-2 hours - which can't really be absorbed into natural stops and becomes a chore.

• Helpful
Hi All, just picked up my S with dual chargers and earlier we were only getting 33mph of charge using a station with 43kw. Might that be because it was only 16amp (it was 3 phase). The total stats from the charge station during charging were, 34mph, 3 phase 16/63a, 247v. our in car display offered up a 16A charge current too. hopefully this makes sense to someone and thanks in advance. Excited to be part of this community!!

What kind of charge station were you using? If CHAdeMO, the onboard charger(s) are irrelevant, as that supplies DC direct to the battery. You say it was 16A 3-phase - which implies it was AC. In that case how did you make the connection between the charger and the car? Until we know this, it's not easy to explain what you experienced.

Hi Mark, thanks and apologies, we were not using the Chademo side of the pubic charger. We were using the type 2 cable on the charge point directly into the car. So far we have not purchased the Chademo adaptor as we thought we would get 64mph from this public station using the type 2 and thanks to our dual chargers. BUT, if we are only going to get 33mph then we will probably invest in the Chademo. Should we be getting more? Hope that makes sense!

Sounds like your 2nd charger is missing or disabled. With dual chargers you should be seeing 32/63A. Assuming your current hasn't been accidentally dialled down on the main screen (I think you said you checked that) then it can't be your fault and a call to Tesla is reqd.

PS. When reporting charging problems, the MPH figure is almost useless as its an average and affected by the rated/typical setting. The amps/volts tells the whole story however.

Except for the model X where the larger charger is a factory only installed option and not available after purchase. Additionally, it is a hidden option that unless you are a TMC user you would not know to type "charger" on the order docs to bring up the option. No wonder people are confused!!!

I think I saw someone say that the second charger hardware is now built into all Model S cars, but it has to be enabled via software. A bit like autopilot in that respect.

That was specific to UK cars (due to widespread 32A single phase chargepoints here, rather than using the UMC which cheats the wiring to make 32A work on single-charger cars). A permanent solution was supposedly in development a long while ago to allow single charger to be used directly with 32A single phase - my understanding is that cars in the UK are now being delivered with this fix rather than the hobbled second charger, but I don't have 100% confirmation of that.