Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TexasEV, I did say guess. Just a guess based on years of working with high current electronics. The real value to X owners is much higher, in allowing fast DC charging at the many CHAdeMO chargers out there.

I had not seen the previous $1,000 price tag, but I did know that there was quite a waiting list before. That's the reason that I'm suggesting in this post that people order one now, like I did. As the reality of the 48 amp onboard charger soaks in, the true value of the CHAdeMO adapter will become more apparent.

Ron
SigX VIN #484

Well I ordered it. If I get my X by January I need to drive to Harrisburg in February. I was planning to use an HWPC at the Antique Auto Museum, but not at 48Amp. Will use the CHAdeMO that is available near there instead. Hopefully it is working because all the other options will add hours to my trip and the Hilton in Harrisburg has no charging at all in their parking lot.

In Japan Nissan slim units are the cheapest but require three phase power. They are less than $10K......snip.....
True - same price in the U.S. And aren't the Japanese versions 50 hertz?
3 phase is residential do-able. It's called a 3-phase rotary converter motor. We had a couple machines in our garage on 3-phase using one of those. New ones are really efficient too. Including your controller - that'll add a couple thousand to the cost of your $10,000 charger, but you'll have your 50kw home DC QC.

Does anyone know what it would take to install a CHAdeMO charger at a residence? What kind of amp draw would it require? Cost?

The unfortunate issue is that we are now dealing with the reduced charging ability of the MX. Even though I have a HPWC installed, max is now 12kW, 48 amps. If I can somehow switch to DC, then those limits are gone. That's what I am trying to compare. I have plenty of room on a 400 amp circuit. Single phase. If I can actually get 20-25kw DC, I've just cut my charging time in half. My other option is to install a 14-50 in the parking lot at work which I'm sure will be $2k-$3k or more since I would have to go underground. I would get more flexibility spending the same money on a home DC charger.

As you probably know your problem looks to be solved since Tesla has changed their position and will be providing your Signature Model X with a high capacity 72 amp on-board charger.

Larry

It's solved if 16kW's works for the OP ..... That's 16kW's versus theoretically 50kW's. Out of my price range - but if you installed a chademo at home as the OP inquired - you'd be done charging at home in < ⅓ the time. That necessity turns on how frequently you get home & have to leave quick thereafter I suppose.

It's solved if 16kW's works for the OP ..... That's 16kW's versus theoretically 50kW's. Out of my price range - but if you installed a chademo at home as the OP inquired - you'd be done charging at home in < ⅓ the time. That necessity turns on how frequently you get home & have to leave quick thereafter I suppose.

Yes, you'd really have to be one hellva "road warrior" to justify such a disproportionate cost differential between an HPWC that is already installed by O-G versus even the lowest cost CHAdeMO charger.

Larry

So I read

And need a ChAdeMo 101 Intervention

I am going to plan a cross country trip

From reading, I think this will be a must have. What type of charge rates will I see.
If you have Duel Chargers, will it charge faster? How long is a typical, from 50 miles remaining charge, to rated range take?

Why is there not a adapter to house the unit from just hanging off the Tesla and support it from the ground taking the pressure off the Car?
Seems a 3D printer unit Intervention into this would help.

Thanks, thought this thread had the most

Tesla CHAdeMO Charging Adapter users watching

So I read

And need a ChAdeMo 101 Intervention

I am going to plan a cross country trip

From reading, I think this will be a must have. What type of charge rates will I see.
If you have Duel Chargers, will it charge faster? How long is a typical, from 50 miles remaining charge, to rated range take?

Why is there not a adapter to house the unit from just hanging off the Tesla and support it from the ground taking the pressure off the Car?
Seems a 3D printer unit Intervention into this would help.

Thanks, thought this thread had the most

Tesla CHAdeMO Charging Adapter users watching

Dual chargers have nothing to do with CHAdeMO. The former is for AC charging only, either HPWCs at >40A or the uncommon J1772s at >40A. CHAdeMO is a direct DC connection to the battery, similar to supercharging but at less than 1/2 the rate. I don't think CHAdeMO adapter is a "must have". Many folks have traveled cross country using superchargers alone. Plan the route you want to take and see if it's adequately covered by superchargers. If not, look on Plugshare to see what other charging options you have for the gaps, such as CHAdeMO. Then make your decision based on that.

Dual chargers have nothing to do with CHAdeMO. The former is for AC charging only, either HPWCs at >40A or the uncommon J1772s at >40A. CHAdeMO is a direct DC connection to the battery, similar to supercharging but at less than 1/2 the rate........ snip.......
actually - turning on your area - there are 100kW CHAdeMO networks in some areas
EVTEC unveils four-port 100+ kW CHAdeMO/CCS fast charging station | The Long Tail Pipe
- and that's getting closer & closer to what the supercharger network does ie; nothing to sneeze at. Ironically - so far - only one of the Kis/Hyundai's is able to handle that much CHAdeMO juice, nativity.

Last edited:
actually - turning on your area - there are 100kW CHAdeMO networks in some areas
EVTEC unveils four-port 100+ kW CHAdeMO/CCS fast charging station | The Long Tail Pipe
- and that's getting closer & closer to what the supercharger network does ie; nothing to sneeze at. Ironically - so far - only one of the Kis/Hyundai's is able to handle that much CHAdeMO juice, nativity.
Has anyone ever charged at 100kW at a CHAdeMO in the U.S.? It must be as rare as a unicorn. You're much more likely to find a CHAdeMO limited to 25kW than one that puts out more than 50 kW. I stand by my "less than half the rate".

Has anyone ever charged at 100kW at a CHAdeMO in the U.S.? It must be as rare as a unicorn. You're much more likely to find a CHAdeMO limited to 25kW than one that puts out more than 50 kW. I stand by my "less than half the rate".
I have had 80+ momentarily a few times but fairly rapid drop to ~50kW is my typical. Your "less than half" statement is absolutely correct IMHO with the sole exception being that Supercharger can be slow too, when A and B are both occupied with both initiating about the same time so tapering does not resolve conflict. That situation is, in my experience, pretty rare if your in a location where CHAdeMO represents a likely choice. I use CHAdeMO often, though much less as the supercharger network expands.

I don't know for sure, but when Tesla CHAdeMO PM was visiting CHAdeMO association meeting in Japan, I asked a question and he answered that the adapter is capable of 100kW.

Nope. Check out the picture below of the adapter nameplate. 125A Max. That equates to about 50 kW at a pack voltage of 380-400 volts.

a4b0463918051f3a3423536d30b53899.jpg

For all intents and purposes, CHAdeMO is limited to 125 amps. Next year will begin implementation of 200 amp stations from ABB, as well as others, but the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 125 amps. The overwhelming majority of charging stations are actually 115 or 120 amps, however.

To calculate the charge power is simply battery voltage during charging multiplied by amps.

The Tesla battery is generally between 325 - 400 volts for a "big battery" 85-90kWh car, and 300-350 volts for the smaller battery 60-70kWh cars.

The maximum charge rates would be:

125 * 400 = 50.0kW @ 333 Wh per mile = 150mph (about 2 miles per minute average)

125 * 350 = 43.7kW @ 333 Wh per mile = 130mph (about 2 miles per minute average)

Last edited: