TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CHAdeMO adapters in Hawaii

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Papafox, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Papafox

Papafox Active Member

I spoke with Tesla tech support today, and they said that a type of electrical adapter called CHAdeMO will become available for charging in the future. It's rather pricey, though, as you can see on the Tesla site:
    http://shop.teslamotors.com/products/chademo-adapter

The good news is that you can charge at a higher rate. The bad news is that the adapter costs between $1000 and $2900 and is not offered for the 40kwh MS. I suspect there's a desire to see 40kwh Tesla owners upgrade their batteries to 60kwh rather than see these owners use CHAdeMO quicker charging as an alternative to the battery upgrade.

I suspect we'll see 3rd parties offer supercharging in Hawaii at some point, too, if Tesla is willing to share that patent with energy providers.

2. drtko147

drtko147 Member

Right now, I don't think $10K is worth the extra 40 miles. I think there are only 3 stations offering this on Oahu.

3. dsmith2189

dsmith2189 Active Member

Where did you see $2900 for a CHAdeMO adapter.:scared: the Tesla adapter ($1K) has been listed in the marketplace for quite some time now. I am waiting for the SAE J1772 DC adapter, it should be about the same or a little bit higher price as the current J1772 (AC) adapter. I think you are more likely to see more CHAdeMO and/or J1772DC plugs before anyone will be building a supercharger here in Hawaii.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought there were about 5, but they are usually out of order.

4. spleen

spleen Active Member

Actually I've used the CHAdeMO chargers at Aloha Gas Kahala, Aloha Gas Waipio, and Kailua Shell with my Leaf and they've all worked well. I've also used the CHAdeMO Nissan charger at Tony Autoplex. There's more than you think!

5. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Well it looks like the CHAdeMO adapter is finally available. You can now go to Tesla gear and add the CHAdeMO adapter to the cart and pay for it. Who's next?

6. dsmith2189

dsmith2189 Active Member

Next? so, when is your delivery date.

7. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

1 June 2050. Why? :) Wanna borrow it?

8. Papafox

Papafox Active Member

Just ordered my Chademo adapter this week. I'll use it on the mainland roadtrip and then bring back to Hawaii to use here too. I'd be glad to give an update on charging performance at various Oahu chademo locations. In the absence of a supercharger, a chademo is the next-best option for giving your Model S a quick shot of juice on one of those crazy days when you find out you need to head to the North Shore on your way home from work.

9. Papafox

Papafox Active Member

The Chademo at the Kailua Shell Station has been down for a year. Must not have exactly been a booming business proposition.

10. spleen

spleen Active Member

I've used that CHAdeMo in my Leaf and it saved my butt driving home from an event at KMCAB. Sorry to hear that it's been down ... :(