Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chademo Charging Adapter Fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I drive a Model S 2016 (1st Gen) P90D here in Japan.

Recently I've been experiencing issues with charging using my Chademo Adapter. Before I could charge without issue and charging speed seemed to be dependent on my car battery condition and the Chademo charger capability.

Now when I charge using any Chademo charger, the charge begins but shortly after I will receive a notification on my dash saying:

Charging adapter fault
Unplug and retry
PXL_20220618_051555191.jpg

When this notification appears, the charging speed may throttle down to 18kwh or just stop charging entirely.

I checked the other regions US/UK etc on the Tesla forums but couldn't find a fix. I did read that a firmware update for the Chademo adapter itself might be required which I believe Tesla would have to do themselves.

Has anyone else had experience with this issue at all and/or had their Chademo adapter firmware updated in Japan? If so, could you let me know the procedure?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Did you find what was causing the issue? Same just happened to me.
Sadly no. However, when I tried using the Chademo charger where I first experienced the issue, I was able to charge without any errors. I'm not entirely sure why it worked this time around. I'm wondering if the chademo charger software was updated. If I experience the issue again, I'll post an update, but as a rule, I try to avoid using Chademo chargers where possible, opting for Tesla Superchargers and Tesla Destination Charges if available.

Anyone else out there hitting this?

Been using Chademo adapter for 1.5 years in Hawaii with no issues, and about 6 weeks ago suddenly started hitting same behavior here on my M3 long range. First at one HECO/Greenlots/Shell Recharge machine, now basically all of them. Fault FC_a151 or FC_a154.

Will start out at 40kw+ but then go down to 15-20kw. Just had the firmware updated but hasn’t helped.