Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chademo charging issue - resolved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, there are 3 free Chademo chargers that I always use when I collect rent on 2 of my properties. 2 of those Chademo chargers, I could never get to work on my Tesla and the 3rd one always worked.. When I got there, the one that I usually use was in use as was one of the other ones.. So, the only one available was one of the 2 that I never got to work with my Tesla.. So, I connected my car and as usual, the screen on the charger went blank and the charger auto-rebooted..
There was a guy in a Leaf beside me and he told me that he knows someone familiar with those units and to make them work, you have to reboot the car and then close all the doors and hatch and try charging.. I thought he was bs'ing but I tried it anyways and he was indeed right.. Charged without issues.. Crazy...

• Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4
So, there are 3 free Chademo chargers that I always use when I collect rent on 2 of my properties. 2 of those Chademo chargers, I could never get to work on my Tesla and the 3rd one always worked.. When I got there, the one that I usually use was in use as was one of the other ones.. So, the only one available was one of the 2 that I never got to work with my Tesla.. So, I connected my car and as usual, the screen on the charger went blank and the charger auto-rebooted..
There was a guy in a Leaf beside me and he told me that he knows someone familiar with those units and to make them work, you have to reboot the car and then close all the doors and hatch and try charging.. I thought he was bs'ing but I tried it anyways and he was indeed right.. Charged without issues.. Crazy...
I bought my Chademo adapter a while ago and still haven’t used it yet. I previously had a Bolt and using CCS was hit or miss for me — mostly miss. Crazy how different the experience can be and is from the ease of using the SC network.

I bought my Chademo adapter a while ago and still haven’t used it yet. I previously had a Bolt and using CCS was hit or miss for me — mostly miss. Crazy how different the experience can be and is from the ease of using the SC network.
One of my main reasons to switch from my 2019 Hyundai Kona Electric to the Model Y was the Supercharger Network (as also that the Model Y had more space and could tow while the Kona Electric couldn't) .. Electrify America is not all that reliable yet.. If there are 8 chargers, at least 5 of those are usually broken.. sometimes, all of them.. It's crazy..
The reason why I use those Chademo chargers is because they are free and I would have to pay for supercharging once my free miles are used up.There are tons of free Chademo/CCS chargers in my area and they will remain free through 2022.. After that, they will go pay.. I have like 1870 free miles remaining.. Used up already my original 1000 miles and got 2 referrals..

Reactions: byeLT4 and El joe
I recently got my chademo adapter and decided to try it out (along with supercharging). No trips planned yet, but I wanted to know what to expect.

Signed up for EA & EVGo and also downloaded Plugshare. Found a site near me and went to try it out.

1) The CHAdeMO cord would not easily reach the opposite side of the car, and if I pulled in the opposite way (forward vs backwards) it wouldn't reach either. I had to park in the wrong spot to use the charger. no problem for my test, no one else was there. But I'd like a jerk if I were going to sit there for a long time

2) I spent 5min trying to get it to work. Turns out you need to REALLY push it into the adapter. I thought it was connected, but it wasn't connected good enough.

3) Took me a bit to get charging going, but I eventually did, still need to learn the order of when to use the app, when to press buttons and when to plug in.

4) The good part? Charging was FREE! Got a full 50kW (~150mi/hr).

---------
2nd test - Supercharger

Went to supercharger using nav.

1) Really ate up battery power warming it up (was averaging >600Wh/mi). Don't think I'll do that unless I'm on a trip.

2) ridiculously easy. just plug it in

3) ridiculously fast. I was at 60% and only plugged in for 1min or so (this was a test to ensure I knew how to use it), but was getting ~450mi/hr.

4) Cost me $0.40 for 1min of charging. I'm not super concerned about that, up until the test, I'd only charged my car at home. Only time in plan on using the SC network is on long trips.

I recently got my chademo adapter and decided to try it out (along with supercharging). No trips planned yet, but I wanted to know what to expect.

Signed up for EA & EVGo and also downloaded Plugshare. Found a site near me and went to try it out.

1) The CHAdeMO cord would not easily reach the opposite side of the car, and if I pulled in the opposite way (forward vs backwards) it wouldn't reach either. I had to park in the wrong spot to use the charger. no problem for my test, no one else was there. But I'd like a jerk if I were going to sit there for a long time

2) I spent 5min trying to get it to work. Turns out you need to REALLY push it into the adapter. I thought it was connected, but it wasn't connected good enough.

3) Took me a bit to get charging going, but I eventually did, still need to learn the order of when to use the app, when to press buttons and when to plug in.

4) The good part? Charging was FREE! Got a full 50kW (~150mi/hr).

---------
2nd test - Supercharger

Went to supercharger using nav.

1) Really ate up battery power warming it up (was averaging >600Wh/mi). Don't think I'll do that unless I'm on a trip.

2) ridiculously easy. just plug it in

3) ridiculously fast. I was at 60% and only plugged in for 1min or so (this was a test to ensure I knew how to use it), but was getting ~450mi/hr.

4) Cost me $0.40 for 1min of charging. I'm not super concerned about that, up until the test, I'd only charged my car at home. Only time in plan on using the SC network is on long trips.
On the Chademo adapter, you need to push it in until it clicks. When I Chademo charge, I navigate to the closest Supercharger but don't actually drive there. I just use that to warm up the battery for Chademo charging..

Reactions: Tha_Ape
HI guys,
Did I understand correctly that the CHAdeMo adapter works on the MY in the US ? Does it also works for M3's ?
Here in Europe Tesla says it does not work for 3 and MY.
Is that a different adapter or the car hardware/software is different ?
Europe Tesla comes with CCS2.. The US Chademo adapter is for the Tesla type port which is different from CCS2. In the US, the Chademo adapter works for all models but it won't work in Europe on any Teslas..

Europe Tesla comes with CCS2.. The US Chademo adapter is for the Tesla type port which is different from CCS2. In the US, the Chademo adapter works for all models but it won't work in Europe on any Teslas..
Hi, I just realized this. More over the adapter are different for the S/X and the M3/Y models.

If I understood correctly the Type2 connector of the S models can accept a DC on the bottom pins while the TYPE2/Combo CCS2 connector on the M3/Y models does not and accept dc current only on the bottom CCS2 pins.
If that is correct Would it be possible to build a "dumb" adaptors which just diverts the DC current from the Type2 connector to the bottom CCS pins ? Would that work ?
Does anyone has an idea?

Interesting.

I recently added this Thread: Tesla Port/Plugs of the World Compared.

Also, as you probably know, info about the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter in Europe can be found here (in English): European CHAdeMO Adapter.

Key points/quotes include:
  • The European CHAdeMO Adaptor (with its Type 2 "Mennekes" plug) appears to be usable only in Europe.
  • "A separate [CHAdeMO] adapter is required for North American, Japanese, Australian and Chinese versions."
  • By the way, I don't think a mainland "Chinese" version ever existed. Instead, there is/was a Taiwan version.
  • "The Model S and Model X [European] CHAdeMO Adapter is not currently supported by Model 3 [or Model Y, I assume]"
  • Older (European) Model S must have the "supercharging enabled" feature activated to use the European CHAdeMO adapter. Newer Model S and Model X are good-to-go from the factory.
It appears to me that CHAdeMO is increasingly becoming an orphaned standard, except in Japan. However, a new jointly-designed Japan/China D/C charge standard may be coming that will replace the current CHAdeMO and GB/T D/C plugs in Japan and China.

Wouldn't it be nice if the same (e.g., simple Tesla Proprietary Connection) standard was able to be used everywhere?

Last edited: