Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHADEMO charging on Model 3 SR+ - how much is too much

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just recently got a CHADEMO adapter for my Model 3 SR+ and so far I'm loving it. Does anyone knows if there is any adverse effects with the car's battery if I'm charging it up 3-4 times per week (typically from 40% to 90%)? I've also heard that there are going to have superchargers throttling if the car is charging with DC fast chargers/superchargers too many times.

The charging stations I got only gives out 40KW to the model 3 also.

Thanks in advance!

Broadly speaking, it's better for battery health to charge at L2 speeds, rather than CHAdeMO or Supercharger speeds. Thus, if you can charge at home, or at public L2 stations, it's better to favor those charging methods over CHAdeMO. That said, there are enough anecdotal reports of high-mileage Teslas that see lots of Supercharging with only modest battery degradation to suggest that using DC fast chargers regularly isn't all that awful for them. I wouldn't recommend doing that and exceeding 80-90% charge on a regular basis, though.

The reports I've seen of Teslas that have throttled Supercharging rates are restricted to Model S and Model X vehicles with 75kWh and 90kWh battery packs. Model S and Model X cars with other battery packs don't seem to be affected by this, and I haven't heard of any Model 3s that have been throttled like this. The speculation is that Tesla found that the specific affected battery packs were showing signs of degradation because of frequent Supercharging, and so implemented a reduction in maximum charging speed. (That reduced speed is well above the 50kW maximum rate of CHAdeMO.) Tesla is releasing very little information on this subject, though, so owners have been left trying to figure it out by comparing notes and sharing what little Tesla communicates to them. Model 3s are still new enough that such throttling might eventually happen with them, but just hasn't yet been widely reported; or maybe Tesla fixed the presumed problem with battery chemistry or pack design before the Model 3 was released. Bjorn Nyland had a video on this subject:

I just recently got a CHADEMO adapter for my Model 3 SR+ and so far I'm loving it. Does anyone knows if there is any adverse effects with the car's battery if I'm charging it up 3-4 times per week (typically from 40% to 90%)? I've also heard that there are going to have superchargers throttling if the car is charging with DC fast chargers/superchargers too many times.

The charging stations I got only gives out 40KW to the model 3 also.

Thanks in advance!

Hey how did you get your adapter to work? I plugged mine in and got a message that CHAdeMO chargers aren’t supported. Is there something I have to do?

I can't believe you find chademo spots open! I've never driven by one and not seen a leaf plugged in...lol

I am looking for an adapter, basically so I can go to the Shuswap. The $675 price tag hurts a bit though :(

Patience is the key if people were comply to 45 mins max rules (BC Hydro stations), or visits the chademo station at night, always 0 wait time!