Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Charging the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Last night I received the 2019.24.4 software update for our Model 3. So this morning I tested Tesla’s CHAdeMO adapter to determine the rate of charge, and see how many miles I’d get and how long it would take to charge from a given SOC. Summary: 45 minutes gave me 139 miles of rated range and cost $8.69. Tesla’s CHAdeMO adapter is easy to use and provides more charging options for the Model 3.

IMG_4564.jpg
A DC charger at a charging station in Sacramento.

This site where I charged has one DC charger with dual plugs to charge EVs with either CHAdeMO or CCS charging ports. It can charge one car at a time, delivers a maximum of 125 amps, and provides maximum power approaching 50 kW depending on factors such as state of charge, battery pack temperature, etc. I arrived at the station with 126 miles of rated range – 39% SOC – in our long range RWD Model 3.

Start-1024x302.jpg
I arrived at the station with 126 miles of range / 39% SOC.

If you haven’t used CHAdeMO chargers before the plugs are substantial, and by that I mean big. But using the adapter, while not dead simple like a Supercharger, was straightforward and easy: I removed the CHAdeMO plug from its holster on the charger, connected it to Tesla’s CHAdeMO adapter, and plugged the adapter into the Model 3’s charging port.

This station is operated by Greenlots. To start a charging session you either call their 1-800 number, use the Greenlots phone app, or a Greenlots RFID card. I have a Greenlots account and their RFID key fob so I held the key fob next to the labeled sensor on the charger and it verified my account. The charger provides you with easy to follows instructions. I pressed the button to select the CHAdeMO plug, and then pressed the button again to start the charging session.

Adapter-and-Greenlots-1024x489.jpg
I connected Tesla’s CHAdeMO adapter to the charger plug, plugged the adapter into my Model 3 charge port, and used an RFID card to start the charging session.

The charger delivered 22.8 kWh in the first 30 minutes, providing about 90 miles of rated range.

30Minutes-1024x322.jpg
This DC charger sent 23 kWh to the Model 3 in 30 minutes, adding 90 miles of rated range to the pack.

The session started with the charger delivering 42 kW when the battery pack was at 39%. The power slowly increased, hitting 49 kW when the battery pack reached 80% SOC. I didn’t charge long enough to see where the taper would begin, but I’m guessing that would be in the range of 80-85% SOC.

It took a total of 45 minutes to go from 39% to 81% SOC. This included the time it took me to plug in and initiate the session. In 45 minutes the charger delivered 33.7 kWh (according to Greenlots), adding 139 miles of rated range to the pack.

StartandFinish-1024x375.jpg
The charging session started with the charger delivering 42 kW at 39% SOC, and the power slowly increased hitting 49 kW when the battery reached 80% SOC.

At this location Greenlots charges 25¢ per kWh, plus taxes and a 35¢ session fee. Total cost for this charge was $8.69, so just under 26¢ per kWh, which is comparable to the cost of using a Supercharger. The cost of using CHAdeMO chargers varies depending on the network that operates the station.

CHAdeMO charging stations are not Superchargers, yet. Some of the new stations coming online provide more than 125 amps, but I believe Tesla’s current CHAdeMO adapter will accept no more than 125 amps (please correct me if I’m wrong). CHAdeMO chargers don’t span the entire country, and generally don’t have as many charging stalls per site compared to most Supercharger locations. But some regions of the country have a good number of CHAdeMO charging locations that support EV drivers. So while 139 miles in 45 minutes is slower than a Supercharger, it’s better than L2 charging. Most importantly this gives us more charging options for road trips and regional travel.

I’ve used this station before to charge our 2012 Toyota Rav4 EV, thanks to Tony Williams’ CHAdeMO charging port, JdeMO. Adding the CHAdeMO charging port to our Rav4 EV expanded the horizons of that car, and I expect the CHAdeMO adapter to come in handy for our Model 3. I don’t expect to use it for local charging, but plan to use the adapter on longer trips we have planned.

Rav.jpg
Quick charging my 2012 Rav4 EV at this station several years ago.

If you are new to EVs and want to know how to find CHAdeMO charging stations, Plugshare is a very good resource. Go to that website (or download the phone app), click on the filter tab, and select CHAdeMO (or any other type of charger) to find charging locations near you.

CHAdeMOAtlanta-1024x543.jpg
Screen shot from the Plugshare.com website showing the location of CHAdeMO charging stations in the Atlanta area.

Final note: In the United States the two non-Tesla DC charging standards are CHAdeMO and CCS. The CHAdeMO charging standard was designed and promoted by Japanese power companies and auto manufacturers including Nissan and Mitsubishi. The Nissan Leaf, which came on the market in 2010, is the best selling EV with the CHAdeMO port. Other auto manufacturers use the CCS DC charging standard. Cars with the CCS port include the Chevy Bolt EV, BMW i3, VW e-Golf, and other European made EVs coming on the market. Ultimately cars with a CCS port will outnumber those with CHAdeMO. At some point Tesla may sell a CCS adapter for use in the United States, but there’s no indication of that yet.

This guest post from Steve Noctor originally appeared on his blog It’s Electric

Last edited by a moderator:
So I finally got around to looking into this problem in depth and discovered that my S6 Edge was still on Marshmallow (Version 6). Seems like EA and Starbucks (another app that refused to work right after having done so for years) both require Nougut (Version 7). After downloading an over 1GB update and my phone updating all the apps, I've loaded the EA app and it seems to be working correctly.
Android 7 was released in 2016, so it's getting pretty old. It's probably got a lot of security issues, but I haven't researched this in any depth. Unfortunately, according to my cursory research, Samsung stopped providing Android updates for the Galaxy S6 Edge with Android 7, so if you want something newer, you have two choices: Upgrade your phone or use an open source ROM that provides a more recent Android version -- ideally the latest, which is Android 11. I don't see official project ROMs for the Galaxy S6 Edge for the two open source ROMs with which I'm most familiar (LineageOS and PixelExperience), but it looks like there's an official build of the Evolution X version of Android 10 for the phone, and an unofficial build of Android 11 for LineageOS (this is called LineageOS 17.1; the numbering is confusing). You might be able to track down an official build of some more obscure project, but it looks like your phone is old enough that the developers have largely lost interest in it. When that happens, it's probably best to at least begin planning to replace the phone.

Installing an open source Android is a pretty tricky process if you've not done it before, so attempt this only if you're comfortable digging pretty deep in computer geekery, or if you have in-person help from somebody who's done it before. Also, be aware that you may lose some functionality, particularly if you're using an unofficial build. The Google features required to get Google Pay to work are particularly likely to be lost with an open source ROM, although some people do manage to get it working. Unofficial builds often have problems with one or two hardware features, so be sure to read the release notes.

Given the hassle of installing an open source ROM and the limited remaining safe lifetime of your phone, it's probably better to replace it with new hardware. Ain't planned obsolescence grand?

Reactions: cwerdna
This S6 Edge phone was a 2015 Christmas gift from work (when I was with Samsung). I didn't use it for several years since I already had a Galaxy J3. I know I'm stuck with Nougat but I'm not going to root the thing to install some unknown Android fork. I will eventually bite the bullet and get something more modern (been eyeing an A52) and hopefully it will not go obsolete within 6 years (yeah, right!).

re: planned obsolescence; I just pulled out an HP-45 calculator today to charge its battery. Since you can't get an original HP battery pack for this thing anymore, I found some people on eBay who assemble a homebrew NiMh pack (3 AA batteries) and also a USB charging cable (since I lost/misplaced the original HP-45 A/C adapter). With some ingenuity, "obsolete" equipment can still have a good life.

Getting back on topic....

I'm planning to go to the Valley Water ChargePoint station tomorrow and see if the "weekend" station is working. I have gone by the place several times in the last week and I have not seen anybody using the two stations but a check now with the ChargePoint app says 5 people used it between 4 and 8pm today. Guess I had bad timing.

I just mentioned CHAdeMO charging in another thread and said that it was a dying outlet. Seems like one company is pulling the plugs fairly soon:

EV Morning News said this:
"Our friends over at InsideEVs claim to have an Electrify America source that says only about 5% of electricity dispensed on their network is through the CHAdeMO socket. With the upcoming Ariya switching to CCS, the writing seems to be on the wall for the CHAdeMo socket outside of Japan. An exception though is the Californian state, where they will continue installing it."

Ref: EV Morning News: Electrify America Drops CHAdeMO, Plus More

I just mentioned CHAdeMO charging in another thread and said that it was a dying outlet. Seems like one company is pulling the plugs fairly soon:

EV Morning News said this:
"Our friends over at InsideEVs claim to have an Electrify America source that says only about 5% of electricity dispensed on their network is through the CHAdeMO socket. With the upcoming Ariya switching to CCS, the writing seems to be on the wall for the CHAdeMo socket outside of Japan. An exception though is the Californian state, where they will continue installing it."

Ref: EV Morning News: Electrify America Drops CHAdeMO, Plus More
As I understand it, Electrify America will stop installing new CHAdeMO plugs. I've seen nothing to suggest that they intend to remove existing CHAdeMO plugs. If EA (or anybody else) has announced plans to remove existing CHAdeMO plugs, I'd like to know about it.

Noice! If only I could get that for the $0/mo plan. You have to be a member to get those electrons, despite what the sub-heading you posted says about available to all its users.

If only they did like EVgo and allow discounts from promoters like my AAA discount that means I pay $0/mo on EVgo and get all the bennies of a full membership.

Sucking on the free juice as I type. Went to the EA station at Oakridge Bank of America but somebody was already connected. Diverted to my secondary choice, also next to a BofA branch (does EA have an arrangement with them?). Been getting a consistent 42kW (180mi/hr) starting at 50% capacity; no battery preconditioning done prior to stopping here.

Edit: Almost done (5 minutes left) and it's now up at 48kW.

Edit2: Done. 90% at 278 miles (added 130 miles) in 41 minutes. Rate tapered back to 42kW for the final few minutes.

Last edited:
Apparently so. EA stations have been popping up at Bank of America locations in Massachusetts, too.
A little Googling reveals this old news....

I never equated them being together in this deal. I've been a BofA customer since 1973 and regularly go to the two branches I visited last night. I knew about the EA stations next to the Oakridge site but never really noticed the ones next to the Almaden Center branch. They are impossible to miss at night... the bright green highlights of the charging stations stood out.

Wow, CHAdeMo and walk-in banking all in one place! Don't tell me they have a VCR repair shop there too - that would just be too perfect!
Depending on the timing of future deployments, some future BoA locations may not have CHAdeMO. EA has announced that they'll be dropping CHAdeMO from future deployments, but I expect there are some in-the-pipeline locations that will have CHAdeMO.

... Been getting a consistent 42kW (180mi/hr) starting at 50% capacity; no battery preconditioning done prior to stopping here...

One can set the navigation to a nearby Supercharger to trigger preconditioning. It is a ninja trick Bjorn sometimes does in his Norwegian road trip videos. Navigating to one of the EVgo stations with the integrated CHAdeMO adapters listed on the nav display also does preconditioning. These show up with the "two lightning bolt" filter enabled.

Wow, CHAdeMo and walk-in banking all in one place! Don't tell me they have a VCR repair shop there too - that would just be too perfect!
Betamax only.
One can set the navigation to a nearby Supercharger to trigger preconditioning.
Yes, I have done that several times in the past. Useful when I'm already out running around and decide to hit the ChargePoint station before going home. Wasn't necessary last night because it was still pretty warm.