Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chademo charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had chademo adaptor in California ..for four years I think I used it maybe 4 times:(... not really worth the cost imo ..max rate I had seen on one was 50kw and most of the chargers I used had a 30min cap ..

Reactions: cmc5dc
No experience, but I understand they are relatively slow.

Just curious, are there a lot of Chademo chargers where you live? The only ones by me that I know of are at Nissan dealers.

Central Calif. I wanted to head to the coast pulling my trailer but the SC at Atascadera are always busy and the pull in is always taken by non-trailers haulers. There is a Chademo charging station near Lost Hills which would give me enough miles to head to the coast without range anxiety.

We've driven cross country three times, once in our Model S, and twice in our Model X. While we have not used it often, it has come in handy a few times when we visit people that live in apartments so that we can't charge where they live. This happened once in Montclair, CA where we charged at the local Walmart. It happened once in Madison, WI where we charged at the Madison Gas and Electric parking lot. The CHADEMO charging rate with the Tesla adapter is about 50 kW max so it's a bit slower than superchargers but a lot faster than level 2 chargers. Both times we were not very close to Tesla superchargers so we were happy to have the adapter. A number of the Sheetz service stations in Pennsylvania have CHADEMO chargers but we did not use them because they also had Tesla superchargers. Also Electrify America is building a lot of CHADEMO chargers all over the country. If you do a lot of long distance travel into areas that do not have a lot of superchargers I would recommend it. Some places online will rent the adapter so that you can take one on long trips.

I'm hoping Tesla will introduce a CCS adapter with higher power charging capability soon. The Electrify America charging sites often only have one or two CHADEMO but many more CCS chargers.

Reactions: cmc5dc and P85_DA
While CHADEMO may sound like and option, and it indeed it, non-Tesla chargers don't generally have multiple or large numbers of DC Fast Chargers. So you may end up with higher blockage at a CHAdeMO than a Supercharger.
And you'll definitely tend to get nasty looks from other EVs that would want to use the charger "Tesla snobs can go charge on their own chargers, not block the others"

Central Calif. I wanted to head to the coast pulling my trailer but the SC at Atascadera are always busy and the pull in is always taken by non-trailers haulers. There is a Chademo charging station near Lost Hills which would give me enough miles to head to the coast without range anxiety.

Is Kettleman too far out of the way? Given you can charge over 2-3 times at Kettleman it might be worth the extra distance.

They are great in my trunk as a weapon (if needed) since they are borderline useless. It charges at 50kw max (I got 30kw something the 3 times I used it) and prepare to pay more than gas for the electricity. Maybe a tow from AAA is cheaper, or I just carry a Honda generator if I have to

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
I have had a CADEMO adapter for two years and used it twice. In both situations, I was staying at a location that was quiet a distance from a supercharger and I was doing some daily driving. Pulled approximately 35kw one time and 50kw the other. In a rare situation, they can be quite handy. Better to ask around if someone will loan you one. A live in the San Luis Obispo area and would gladly loan my rarely used adapter.

Reactions: cmc5dc