Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Communication error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have communication errors with the CHAdeMO adapter? I have used it at Nissan garages in the past. This past weekend I tried two times to get it to work in Portland, ME. and received communication errors. After I tried a Leaf was able to make it work. Is there a trick to get this to work when you run into this error?

Here is what I found that works reliably for me in Northern Virginia:

Step 1: Plug the Tesla CHAdeMo adapter into your Tesla
Step 2: Go to the CHAdeMO computer and swipe your card (if required) to initialize the session
Step 3: Plug the CHAdeMO plug into the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter that is hanging from your car
Step 4: Go back to the CHAdeMo computer and press the green button to initiate charge.

This has worked reliably 100% of the time. What doesn't seem to work reliably is if I plug the Tesla adapter into the CHAdeMO plug and then plug the adapter into the car. That gives me all sorts of errors.

Anyone have communication errors with the CHAdeMO adapter? I have used it at Nissan garages in the past. This past weekend I tried two times to get it to work in Portland, ME. and received communication errors. After I tried a Leaf was able to make it work. Is there a trick to get this to work when you run into this error?

You may also want to call Tesla to see if your CHAdeMO adapter needs a firmware update performed at a SC.