Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO compatible with 2021 Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

I desperately need to charge at public charger because range of my 2021 Model Y LR in even mild wintery conditions is lousy, now below 200 miles of highway driving. The CHAdeMO adapter is back in stock at Tesla. Here's the page...

The page does not explicitly say that it works with Model Y. I called Tesla sales and they said it does not work with 3 or Y. But folks here on this forum have suggested it does. I'd like to wait for release of the Tesla CCS adapter, but been waiting a year and can't be confident it's on the way, so I'm considering the CHAdeMO adapter. I would use it on ElectrifyAmerica and EVgo networks. Questions:
1) can anyone confirm that it works?
2) what is Tesla's return policy if this $510 item does not work? (!)

Thanks,
--JS

I would be willing to bet that the CCS adapter will be coming soon. The latest software update will show whether or not your car is capable of CCS charging. Mine built in March '21 is compatible. In the mean time, is it possible to slow down your speed by say 10mph ? -- That will increase your range significantly. Or maybe when you get to your destination (if it's a round trip one) you can plug into a 120v outlet. That would give you 30~40 extra miles (or an actual 20~25 miles in cold weather) range. Just a thought.

Reactions: KJD
The page does not explicitly say that it works with Model Y. I called Tesla sales and they said it does not work with 3 or Y. But folks here on this forum have suggested it does. I'd like to wait for release of the Tesla CCS adapter, but been waiting a year and can't be confident it's on the way, so I'm considering the CHAdeMO adapter. I would use it on ElectrifyAmerica and EVgo networks. Questions:
Heh, here's the thing. Tesla sucks at updating product descriptions in their online store. The Model 3 came out in 2018. When it came out, this CHAdeMO adapter did not work with it. And the wording on that CHAdeMO product page had this wording in the description:

"The Model S and Model X CHAdeMO Adapter is not currently supported by Model 3"

People tested it and waited for a software update to the Model 3 that would fix this and enable it. See this thread:
Around Summer of 2019, a year after the car had been out, Tesla finally made a software update that enabled the CHAdeMO adapter to work!! And it has worked ever since. But guess what is still printed in the product page of that CHAdeMO adapter?

"The Model S and Model X CHAdeMO Adapter is not currently supported by Model 3"

Yeah. It's almost 2022, and Tesla STILL has not updated the description! It has been working for the last two and a half years, but Tesla never bothered to update the product description. That's also why there is no mention of the Model Y. It didn't exist years ago when that product description was written.

So I don't think I have seen anyone posting anything specifically about the Model Y because it didn't seem like it was relevant. It's worked on the 3 for years, and the Y is almost the same as the 3, so I am pretty sure it's working on the Y as well. That's the best I've got for you. Sorry it's not very firsthand experience, though.

Reactions: Falcon73
Hi folks,

I desperately need to charge at public charger because range of my 2021 Model Y LR in even mild wintery conditions is lousy, now below 200 miles of highway driving. The CHAdeMO adapter is back in stock at Tesla. Here's the page...

Thanks,
--JS

The web page is correct. The issue is that you linked to the Australian web site. Australian Model 3s (and I'd assume future Model Ys) come with a native Type 2/CCS port. So the CHAdeMO adapter might plug into an Australian 3 (or future Y), but won't actually work. The adapter in your link continues to work with Australian Model S and X that still have the older modified Type 2 port.

Last I looked, sellers of North American spec CHAdeMO adapters were asking obscene BIN prices on eBay. I'd suggest waiting for the CCS adapter to come out. Once it does, the market for the CHAdeMO adapter will crash.

Good pickup on the Australian site thing, didn't notice that Google took me there. Appears that the US adapter is available on eBay selling consistently for around $1,000. That's a lotta money for access to what amounts to level 2 charging. But the colder it gets, the more anxious and desperate I may grow...

Thanks,
--JS

Good pickup on the Australian site thing, didn't notice that Google took me there. Appears that the US adapter is available on eBay selling consistently for around $1,000. That's a lotta money for access to what amounts to level 2 charging. But the colder it gets, the more anxious and desperate I may grow...

CHAdeMO is a lot faster than L2 charging.

Nonetheless I'd suggest hanging tight - rather than paying ripoff eBay BIN prices. The CCS 1 adapter has already been released in Korea. It reportedly can support a charge rate 2-3x faster than the CHAdeMO adapter. A few have been brought to the U.S. and verified to work - with late 2020 and 2021 cars that have the necessary charge port electronics. and the latest software update. It is just a matter of time before Tesla releases it here.

Once the CCS 1 adapter is here in quantity, demand for the CHAdeMO adapter will crash. That $700-$1000 BIN price will soon drop to $100-200.

CHAdeMO is a lot faster than L2 charging.

Nonetheless I'd suggest hanging tight - rather than paying ripoff eBay BIN prices. The CCS 1 adapter has already been released in Korea. It reportedly can support a charge rate 2-3x faster than the CHAdeMO adapter. A few have been brought to the U.S. and verified to work - with late 2020 and 2021 cars...

Once the CCS 1 adapter is here in quantity, demand for the CHAdeMO adapter will crash. That $700-$1000 BIN price will soon drop to $100-200.
The CCS adapter can't get here soon enough. There's no way I'd pay even $500 for a CHAdeMO adapter, much less the King's Ransom on eBay.

It works.
20200911_155329.jpg