Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Driving in DFW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I had my first chance to try out some of the 29 high-power DC local CHAdeMO chargers in DFW recently, since I had to drive all day.
29Chademos.jpg

First, I had a 30 minute lunch at Cracker Barrel,
CrackerBarrel.jpg

Then I had a 20 minute drink/email break at Walgreen's,
Walgreens.jpg

and a 30 minute stop at Grapevine Mills Mall. Apparently 3 cars were ICE'ing EV spots, but I was still able to fast charge. Location is by Rainforest Café.
Rainforest.jpg

GrapevineICEd.jpg

Busy driving day, but this adapter is worth it!

Actually that looks like good service!!!

The question is how much of it is not at dealerships where you sort of feel like a whore in church as you bring your Tesla into a car dealership?

freds,

I tried your challenge today. If you are listed on Plug Share, then you are advertising open to all EV's. I expected to get "looks" at the Nissan Dealer today. Instead, I was unable to use their charger because it was completely ICEd! All 4 spots (where the cable could reach) were non EV's, AND the driveway I would have blocked cars to Service. It was impossible to use. I gave a bad review on Plug Share along with a picture:
NissanCHAdeMOGrapevine.jpg

If you are listed on Plug Share, then you are advertising open to all EV's.

Not sure about that. The Plugshare map is open for anyone to be able to add chargers. So, if one person in a Leaf uses a Nissan charger and decides to add it to the map, it doesn't mean that it's wide open--especially when Nissan dealers are footing the bill. The dealership can't control what's added.

Hopefully we won't need them for very much longer anyways as the SC network is expanded.

Not sure about that. The Plugshare map is open for anyone to be able to add chargers. So, if one person in a Leaf uses a Nissan charger and decides to add it to the map, it doesn't mean that it's wide open--especially when Nissan dealers are footing the bill. The dealership can't control what's added.

Hopefully we won't need them for very much longer anyways as the SC network is expanded.

I would agree EXCEPT these CHAdeMO's are my Electric companies chargers (Reliant/nrg/eVgo.) I had to become a member to use their network. They charge Tesla owners $0.10/minute to charge here, when they are free for Nissan, Chevy, Porsche, & Cadillac's:
Freeevgo.jpg

We have 4 Nissan Dealers in DFW with these CHAdeMO chargers, so I did some research today. 2 of them are eVgo chargers, 1 is a Nissan, and I didn't get to visit the 4th one yet. 2 were ICE'd, & the dealer above (TX Nissan of Grapevine) had a spot for me to charge today; however, my key fob didn't work! The ready light isn't on. My feeling is Nissan does NOT want Tesla's charging here. PlugShare shows it is being used currently, so there is some funny business going on...
TXNissan.jpg

Here is Grubbs Nissan Bedford:
Grubbs.jpg

and AutoNation Lewisville, with the Nissan Version:
AutoNation.jpg

I know the Nissan version works, because I used the Nissan version in Oklahoma City:
OKCChademo.jpg

It took me almost 3 weeks, but I have visited all 31 of the CHAdeMO's in DFW and Austin. All were positive experiences EXCEPT 3 of the 4 Nissan Dealers here, & this Exxon station which was broken: http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/10717

The last Nissan Dealer I tried in Fort Worth specifically says "Nissan LEAF only," on PlugShare and has bad reviews. I went anyway and had a positive experience! It is still under construction (open 2 days,) but I charged & spoke with a sales guy. We had some "Tesla time" :) Read here: http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/2236
NissanChademoFW.jpg
NissanFW.jpg

So the total for me (as of today,) is 2 Austin Nissan Dealers - check. The one Nissan Dealer here that says "LEAF's Only," was positive; the other 3 Nissan Dealers - unsuccessful. All others were positive (except 1 broken one.)