TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Chademo Experience

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by apacheguy, Apr 24, 2014.

1. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

So I know there are a lot of Chaedmo fans out there. I own a Nissan Leaf and decided to give it a try. Perhaps you can answer some of my questions:

1. Why is the plug so dang humongous? Seriously, it's like we're back at a gas station.

2. Why can't the charger split power between two bays, just as a SpC can do? Instead, I'm forced to wait until the other car finishes completely before mine will start to ramp up.

3. Chaedmo supports up to 62.5 kWh IIRC. Leafs only charge at about 44 kW so why isn't the remainder available to the next guy who comes along?

4. Yes, I realize that some output only 50 kW max. What fraction of Chaedmo's in CA operate at the full 62.5 kW capacity?

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

You kidding? Gas pump nozzles aren't that big. It's like you're fueling an X-wing or something.

There's a reason Tesla went with a proprietary plug. The SAE Combo plug is also a behemoth.

3. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

I really don't care. It does the job fairly well. The size of the plug is something which doesn't bother me.

Technically possible, the manufacturer just has to do it. Not something which is limited by CHAdeMO.

Again, up to the manufacturer to build it into the charger.

High capacity power grid connections are expensive?

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

If two products can do the same thing but one looks better and makes people comfortable when they hold it then why not? Tesla not only designed a better looking and easier to handle plug but also delivers more power at the moment. It does make a difference. Apple (along with countless other companies of course) has shown design matters to customers.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'm simply jealous that apacheguy has his CHAdeMO adapter already.

6. clea

clea Member

Read a little more carefully and you will realize that he is talking about charging his Leaf.

7. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

So have you ever charged at a Chaedmo station that splits power evenly?

8. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

It would be a good idea for combined CHAdeMO and CCS stations to provide the DC power from a central rectifier like max 100kW to several Outlets, sharing the max power to all.

best

Eberhard

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

What's a Leaf? ;)

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Pictures or it didn't happen. There's a basic big, fat, straight plug, but there are CHAdeMO stations with less bulky plugs.

I wouldn't care so much about the size, more about how easy it is to line up.

11. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

No, I haven't, but technically it's possible. Just wait for the demand.

12. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Tesla should just expand superchargers to include metro charging, then there would be very little need for Model S owners to buy a CHAdeMO. This would enable destination charging and not leave owners in a lurch when they are traveling somewhere that doesn't necessarily have EV friendly hotels.

13. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

It would be better to just make sure there are more EV friendly hotels.

14. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Metro chargers are more likely to be douchebagged.
    You can have anti-douchebaggery fees, but that adds complication.

If Tesla really make a moves on metro charging, I'd expect them to do it with smart multi-way L2 for use in shared lots where there's an overall capacity issue..