Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chademo in Quebec?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're looking at taking a long early-winter ski trip to Quebec this year. The new superchargers along I-87 (Plattsburgh and Queensbury) make it realistic to get to Montreal over the Adirondacks, even in winter, even driving at traffic speeds, with stops not much longer than the necessary bathroom breaks, and then north/east of there the SC network thins out -- if we stay on the south shore of the St. Lawrence there's one more in Drummondville, which should get us to Quebec City no problem.

But for the duration of our stay, and particularly to charge up for the long drive home (to NYC) we're trying to figure out the options. It looks like Chademo/CCS combo stations are now extremely common in Quebec -- there's even one a few miles from the base of Le Massif, which I certainly hadn't expected since that's pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

But I know using new/uncommon/unknown Chademo chargers with the Tesla adapter is always a dicey business. Also, I don't know if any of these networks are affiliated with the U.S. networks I carry RFID cards for (Chargepoint, NRG, Greenlots, GE). The two dominant networks seem to be "Circuit Electrique" and "AddEnergie".

Another concern is leaving the car overnight at low SoC in the very cold conditions we'll likely encounter, so I want to be really sure I have reliable charging available every day.

Has anyone explored north/east of Drummondville with a Model S yet? Tried the Chademo charging? If they have CCS, these chargers must be pretty new. I could really use some advice before I start booking hotels for the trip.

The CHAdeMO adapter is fully compatible with the 70 stations in Quebec, whether they be made by AddEnergie (used by the Electric Circuit), Elmec (its own network) or ABB (Azra network). Be wary of stations from the latter network being out-of-order, but fortunately Azra only makes up 3/70 units in Quebec.

The circuit electric works with a card or an app. The card costs $10, but is recommended for ease of use and to protect you if the internet connection of the station or of your phone is down.

Elmec works only with an app.
Azra is free (if working).

Le Massif du Charlevoix offers two HPWCs which are only 20 yards from the main gondola. There are also several hotels near ski resorts that offer charging stations for their guests.

Last edited:
Checking user comments on plugshare is good way to determine the reliability of stations.

For some reason, plugshare doesn't offer the ability to filter by hotel unless you go to the verdion of their site which is optimized for the tesla browser, tesla.plugshare.com Then in the options you can select hotels only and check off HPWC and CHadMO as well as J1772. (Why HPWC is not included by default is a mystery.)

Since the site was designed to work with the car's old browser it will be ugly, but functional on a desktop computer. It will probably not work on a phone.