TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

CHAdeMO Initial Impressions...

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by tcampos, Feb 18, 2015.

1. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

The distinction is destination charging versus high speed charging to support long distance travel. 50kWH DC charging is a complete waste of money... too expensive to install relative to the L2 destination charging network and simultaneously too slow to realistically support long distance travel. Stopping for lunch or dinner isn't destination charging. We still need thousands upon thousands of destination chargers.

2. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

But it's definitely fast enough to recharge you while stopping for dinner. It's not fast enough to charge you while you have a break and perhaps a bite to eat, so it isn't good for long distance travel support, but most of the time you are eating dinner at your destination so I disagree with you that recharging during dinner can't be destination charging.

3. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

See The Power of CHAdeMO where I looked at what an ideal 50 kW, 125 Amp CHAdeMO could do. Turns out the calculated time for 0 to 80% with the ideal CHAdeMO is 1:22, while Tesla claims 0:40 with a 120 kW Supercharger. 1:22 for a 0 to 80% charge is very compatible with dinner, and far better than 3:40 that would take you with a 240V, 80A HPWC.

4. kk7p

kk7p Member

If you have supercharging enabled, then CHAdeMO will also work.

If you don't, you can pay a certain price to enable "DC fast charging" (i.e., CHAdeMO) but that does NOT enable supercharging. If you pay a higher cost to enable supercharging, then you'll also get "DC fast charging" enabled.

This information is not on the order page I just looked at on the Tesla Motors website, but was on the "waiting list" order information when I accessed it to order my CHAdeMO adapter which arrived today.

5. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Seems like an unusually large logical leap here. Someone drives to their destination, spends the day at their destination, charges at some point in the day at their destination (mealtime or otherwise), and then drives home. That's not destination charging? What exactly is it, then?

6. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

@kk7p, from the order email, cars without supercharging will also have to pay $1,900 for chademo use only, or $2,500 for chademo + supercharging, in order to make use of this adapter.

7. JST

JST Active Member

That extra $600 is the deal of the century. Or CHAdeMO activation is really overpriced.

8. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

The actual text in the email is:
    Customers who may use the Tesla Supercharging network in the future are encouraged to purchase supercharging activation ($2500) instead of fast charging onboard activation ($1900). Fast charging activation will only allow for CHAdeMO charging.

9. kennybobby

kennybobby Member

Seems pricey just for some code to close the contactors and monitor/regulate voltage and current.

10. JST

JST Active Member

It is, if that's all it was. But it's also subsidizing the build-out of the Supercharger network; the pricing makes clear (and the letter makes explicit) that they'd rather you pony up for full Supercharger access than just buy CHAdeMO access, so that they can continue to aggressively expand their own fast charging standard.

11. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

The $1,900 is also subsidizing the high voltage wires that are already installed in all the cars. They don't get used until you need level 3 charging.

12. Benjamin Brooks

Do you mean high current? AC or DC charging will still output the same voltage range to the battery... Only the DC charging is much higher max current.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Continuing...

Comparing a 45 kW CHAdeMO to a 90 kW supercharger the CHAdeMO is a very compelling offering. My point being: not all of us get 120 kW, and even then you wouldn't get it for the whole charge session.

14. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

Yes of course, high current. Thanks.

15. PAT

PAT Member

Thanks for the great review. Does someone of you know if this adapter would work in Europe as well? Tesla told me that they don't think it works and we have to wait until it will be available.. (no availability date yet)

16. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

The EU version of the ChAdeMO adapter began shipping a few days before the US deliveries. Are you specifically asking if you can buy the US version and use it in Europe, or do you just want an adapter?

17. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

I tried to order one. Still says "coming soon" on the ordering page for me!

18. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Yeah, you still have to e-mail [email protected] to put yourself on the list. Once they satisfy the list, they'll open it up on the web page.

Still waiting for my e-mail... :)

19. tcampos

tcampos Member

No, it won't. The charge port for US and European Tesla's is different.

20. PAT

PAT Member

I asked about both options, but neither they confirmed.. Eventually I just like a adapter which will work in Europe. So how can I get this ordered?