Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Initial Impressions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there some assumption that I have to sleep overnight everywhere I want to go?

For example, I could make a day trip from here up to Napa, drive all over the place exploring, charge at the CHAdeMO downtown for an hour during lunch or dinner, and still easily make it home.

That's just one example of situation I've encountered, and I'm sure others have their own. Tesla has so far neglected destinations for Supercharger locations. That was a good decision while they build up the network, but until that occurs, at least in CA there are tons of CHAdeMO around to fill in the Supercharging gaps.

The distinction is destination charging versus high speed charging to support long distance travel. 50kWH DC charging is a complete waste of money... too expensive to install relative to the L2 destination charging network and simultaneously too slow to realistically support long distance travel. Stopping for lunch or dinner isn't destination charging. We still need thousands upon thousands of destination chargers.

The distinction is destination charging versus high speed charging to support long distance travel. 50kWH DC charging is a complete waste of money... too expensive to install relative to the L2 destination charging network and simultaneously too slow to realistically support long distance travel. Stopping for lunch or dinner isn't destination charging. We still need thousands upon thousands of destination chargers.

But it's definitely fast enough to recharge you while stopping for dinner. It's not fast enough to charge you while you have a break and perhaps a bite to eat, so it isn't good for long distance travel support, but most of the time you are eating dinner at your destination so I disagree with you that recharging during dinner can't be destination charging.

But it's definitely fast enough to recharge you while stopping for dinner. It's not fast enough to charge you while you have a break and perhaps a bite to eat, so it isn't good for long distance travel support, but most of the time you are eating dinner at your destination so I disagree with you that recharging during dinner can't be destination charging.

See The Power of CHAdeMO where I looked at what an ideal 50 kW, 125 Amp CHAdeMO could do. Turns out the calculated time for 0 to 80% with the ideal CHAdeMO is 1:22, while Tesla claims 0:40 with a 120 kW Supercharger. 1:22 for a 0 to 80% charge is very compatible with dinner, and far better than 3:40 that would take you with a 240V, 80A HPWC.

Since the CHAdeMO adapter allows charging at such high rates, I can't help but wonder if those rates can be reached on a car that doesn't have supercharging enabled (like mine). My assumption is that "enabling supercharging" only tells the car that it can now talk to the actual supercharger units, but that the car is already capable of high charge rates if it can be connected to faster charging devices (like CHAdeMO). Thoughts?

BTW, great write-up!

If you have supercharging enabled, then CHAdeMO will also work.

If you don't, you can pay a certain price to enable "DC fast charging" (i.e., CHAdeMO) but that does NOT enable supercharging. If you pay a higher cost to enable supercharging, then you'll also get "DC fast charging" enabled.

This information is not on the order page I just looked at on the Tesla Motors website, but was on the "waiting list" order information when I accessed it to order my CHAdeMO adapter which arrived today.

Seems like an unusually large logical leap here. Someone drives to their destination, spends the day at their destination, charges at some point in the day at their destination (mealtime or otherwise), and then drives home. That's not destination charging? What exactly is it, then?

If you have supercharging enabled, then CHAdeMO will also work.

If you don't, you can pay a certain price to enable "DC fast charging" (i.e., CHAdeMO) but that does NOT enable supercharging. If you pay a higher cost to enable supercharging, then you'll also get "DC fast charging" enabled.

This information is not on the order page I just looked at on the Tesla Motors website, but was on the "waiting list" order information when I accessed it to order my CHAdeMO adapter which arrived today.

The actual text in the email is:
Customers who may use the Tesla Supercharging network in the future are encouraged to purchase supercharging activation ($2500) instead of fast charging onboard activation ($1900). Fast charging activation will only allow for CHAdeMO charging.

Seems pricey just for some code to close the contactors and monitor/regulate voltage and current.

It is, if that's all it was. But it's also subsidizing the build-out of the Supercharger network; the pricing makes clear (and the letter makes explicit) that they'd rather you pony up for full Supercharger access than just buy CHAdeMO access, so that they can continue to aggressively expand their own fast charging standard.

Seems pricey just for some code to close the contactors and monitor/regulate voltage and current.

It is, if that's all it was. But it's also subsidizing the build-out of the Supercharger network; the pricing makes clear (and the letter makes explicit) that they'd rather you pony up for full Supercharger access than just buy CHAdeMO access, so that they can continue to aggressively expand their own fast charging standard.

The $1,900 is also subsidizing the high voltage wires that are already installed in all the cars. They don't get used until you need level 3 charging.

See The Power of CHAdeMO where I looked at what an ideal 50 kW, 125 Amp CHAdeMO could do. Turns out the calculated time for 0 to 80% with the ideal CHAdeMO is 1:22, while Tesla claims 0:40 with a 120 kW Supercharger. 1:22 for a 0 to 80% charge is very compatible with dinner, and far better than 3:40 that would take you with a 240V, 80A HPWC.
Continuing...

Comparing a 45 kW CHAdeMO to a 90 kW supercharger the CHAdeMO is a very compelling offering. My point being: not all of us get 120 kW, and even then you wouldn't get it for the whole charge session.

Thanks for the great review. Does someone of you know if this adapter would work in Europe as well? Tesla told me that they don't think it works and we have to wait until it will be available.. (no availability date yet)

The EU version of the ChAdeMO adapter began shipping a few days before the US deliveries. Are you specifically asking if you can buy the US version and use it in Europe, or do you just want an adapter?