TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

CHAdeMO Initial Impressions...

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by tcampos, Feb 18, 2015.

1. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

> I was thinking of some sort of strap that could hook on the handle, then inside the trunk. It should be pretty easy to rig something up. [liuping]

If you tie a string temporarily as described then you can balance the whole enchilada on your outstretched index finger, i.e no twisting force on the charge socket. Kinda like when you park at just the right distance with the SpC plug. Got some string?
    --

2. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

If it breaks the charge port, I'm just going to call Tesla and they're going to replace it since it would be their design flaw. So, not really going to worry.

But again, I don't think it's heavy enough to cause concern. The supercharger cables are pretty heavy, and they usually have to be turned and such to make it into the port which puts some torque and weight on it too.

Not concerned either way, especially since I won't be using it often anyway (probably a few times per year).

3. tcampos

tcampos Member

I have similar feedback. it doesn't seem to be an issue, and the CHAdeMO ports look a lot heavier than they actually are. It doesn't seem to be creating undue pressure.

4. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Yeah, they're just huge, but not heavy.

5. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

I received my Chademo adapter today, so I took it for a spin. The charger I went to was an evGo one. I signed up for the eVGo network a few days ago, but hadn't received my RFID card yet, so when I got to the charger, I just called the 800 number, gave them the station ID printed on the station and they enabled it for me.

Here's a picture of the station, a slim Nissan unit.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1424844401.544754.jpg

Here's the name plate at the back:

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1424844474.617735.jpg

True to its rating, I was pulling 41kW from the unit (according to the car). For this test I ran it for 15 minutes. Nothing got warm, just some some warm air blowing out the back of the pedestal from three muffin fans.

The only catch was locking the bulky chademo handle to the adapter. This type of handle has a lever that is used to lock them together. So fit the pieces together and then squeeze the level/trigger to lock them together.

As far as weight is concerned, I'm not worried. The Tesla connector can handle it.

All in all, a very straightforward experience. Thanks, Tesla!

6. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

Does evgo not have any pay as you go plans? All I see is monthly?

7. Cosmacelf

Yes, evgo has a pay as you go.

8. republic

republic Member

By the looks of it, the pay as you go plan is quite expensive and not worth it if you plan to charge more than once a month.

9. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Looks like Rube Goldberg was the lead desinger on the CHAdeMo device. That sucker is an ugly spunk.

10. Six

Six Member

When I compare the various "standard" DC fast chargers to Tesla it looks like all but the Tesla design were done by people who wanted EVs to fail.

dcfastcharging.png

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

There's some nuance here that shouldn't be overlooked. It depends upon whether the second car happens to choose the "worst possible choice" for slots at the supercharger. At sites with 2 supercharger plugs, this is 100% likelihood. Most sites have more than 2 plugs though.

- - - Updated - - -

That's one conclusion. Others include incompetence, lack of interest or concern for user experience, and over-concern for "zomg electricity scary".

12. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

Nissan helping out?

13. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

My use is likely going to be situational on road trips. Supplement to superchargers. In that case I'll be happy to pay more.

14. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Agreed. Or, more likely, you're just seeing the difference between something that was designed by engineers vs. something that was designed by designers.

15. artsci

artsci Sponsor

For sure. This kind of technology does not have to be ugly. Imagine what an iPhone would look like if were designed by the people who designed the CHAmeDO and other chargers pictured. Tesla clearly gave serious thought to aesthetics when it designed its plug. Cheers!

16. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Ok, so tell me why I need a chademo if I have Superchargers I can go to for free.

17. Benjamin Brooks

Because a CHAdeMO charger may be less out of the way than a SC for some destination you're trying to reach. As SC network grows, that likelihood obviously drops.

18. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

You don't. But not everyone lives in a state with the density of superchargers that California has.

19. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Also helpful for someone like me who only has work charging (no home charger). There are 3 CHAdeMOs within 2.5 miles of my home. Nearest Supercharger is nearly 20 miles and a toll bridge away.

20. Cosmacelf

Even in California, there are times when I will need a fast charge, with no Supercharger near by. The Chademo adapter is a very welcome piece of gear for those who drive a lot. Kudos to Tesla for making it.