Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO locations on the built-in navigation app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waiting for my 75D delivery, so I'm reading the online manual. I found this on page 63 as one of the display options:

"The map displays all visited chargers, Chademo chargers, and destination chargers."

This may be the deal maker for getting the CHAdeMO adapter!

Can anyone confirm that the Tesla navigation app does show CHAdeMO adapters so you can navigate to one if a supercharger isn't convenient? Is it easy to enable this display? Does it tell you which ones are CHAdeMO on the screen?

That way I wouldn't need a separate app/website to find these locations. Nice...if true.

The map displays all visited chargers, Chademo chargers, and destination chargers

At least here in Europe, you only get ones that you've already visited. I've occasionally stopped when I didn't strictly need a charge when passing a useful CHAdeMO location in daylight, just to do a few minutes charge and get the marker on the map so as to be able to find it again easily if wanting it again in the dark.

Superchargers and Tesla's own destination-charger program destination chargers show up on the map automatically, plus the memorised ones when you've stopped to charge. The map markers are positioned very accurately (sufficient to help you find the charger within a parking area). There are also helpful notes attached if you tap the charger icon on the map - for some superchargers, things like gate codes or other details to tell you how to get access out-of-hours, for destination chargers, details like 'patrons only').

According to Tesla UK, this selection of what to show is policy and unlikely to change any time soon: their own chargers they can take responsibility for (or the destination ones at hotels etc. they have a contract with the hotel), so they feel 'safe' in putting them on the map as a resource you can rely on; other CHAdeMO ones they are wary of picking up other peoples' map data which may not be accurate, or may have scheme membership requirements etc. that mean you can't actually use the charger when you get there.

You can of course use the car's web browser to access things like Plugshare.

On the topic of PlugShare, note that there's a special version of the site just for the Tesla browser, located at tesla.plugshare.com. It's optimized for the browser (still very slow, but it works) and they'll give you a special bookmark that saves you having to log in every time, if you want to use your account in the car.

On the topic of PlugShare, note that there's a special version of the site just for the Tesla browser, located at tesla.plugshare.com...

Plugshare seems to have stopped working on their Tesla page for some time now, though curiously it offers the ability to filter by hotel, a capability not yet available in their apps or main page.

One strange thing is that by default the Tesla page doesn't show HPWC or CHAdeMO, you have to add them in the settings.

• Helpful
Reactions: redy
What a disappointment, since it seems CHAdeMO is the second fastest charging station around. I think I'll drop Tesla a note and ask them about their wording in the manual, and post back here what they say.
second fastest being the operative statement
why use something that isn't the fastest? I have yet to use a chademo despite having the converter.
between reliability issues of the chademo chargers, the lower speed of charge, the sometimes high costs of using a chademo and lastly many chademo units are at nissan, ford or bmw dealerships which sometimes aren't very accommodating to tesla owners, I don't think there is all that much interest by tesla owners for chademo charging.

Yes it is rather disappointing that Tesla will not show any charging stations other than their own and the chargers you have already visited and used. While every other EV manufacturer has public charging stations in their system, Tesla keeps it exclusive to their own. And even though they designed the car to enable third party apps, they have not allowed it up until today. It's just stupid that the Model S/X has a massive screen and great UI and then you still have to use your phone to find charging stations.

why use something that isn't the fastest?

Why? Because it is still 8 times faster than any L2 stations and because there are no Superchargers anywhere near. I have used my CHADeMO adapter many times and it saved me countless hours. In some cases made a trip possible at all. 50 kW near you is better than 120 kW unreachable.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and newtman
why use something that isn't the fastest? I have yet to use a chademo despite having the converter.
between reliability issues of the chademo chargers, the lower speed of charge, the sometimes high costs of using a chademo and lastly many chademo units are at nissan, ford or bmw dealerships which sometimes aren't very accommodating to tesla owners, I don't think there is all that much interest by tesla owners for chademo charging.

I remain very interested in ChaDeMo chargers when and if they are fully-functional and full-strength. One such example of an excellent network of ChaDeMo would be AeroVironment. Was able to spend a hassle-free extra week along the Oregon coast due to their chargers. Was worth the $491 for the adapter and the $19.95 for 30 days of unlimited charging just for that week alone. Then again, I probably value unfettered coastal time more highly than some.

Having said that, here's the problem with ChaDeMo - most are either throttled by manufacture to 20kW or are hobbled by, for example, a 50A service run. Or they're only available during business hours. Or they're just broken/poorly maintained. Plus there's just one per site (at least I've not yet seen more than one per site).

Then again, any working ChaDeMo in an area unserved by an SC (see all of southern Arizona south of Casa Grande) is the best game in town.

If you use a ChaDeMo adapter 50x, it's $10/use on top of the cost of kW. If you don't drive much, don't buy one - chances are someone in your local or regional owners club has one and may loan or rent it to you for the occasional trip. Plus there's the ChaDeMo sharing network at least in North America.

What I'd like is a universal adapter to be able to use whatever, but that won't happen for awhile.

The answer to both these issues heavily depends where in the world/country you are.

For me, CHAdeMO is very useful, as it enables routes that would involve a big detour if I had to use superchargers only - particularly routes where I only need a charge-and-a-bit for the day's driving so the wait at the CHAdeMO is only 20-30 mins. Where I am, there are lots of routes like that. If you live somewhere with fewer CHAdeMO or more densely deployed Superchargers, it would be less benefit.

Likewise, it would be nice if the nav had CHAdeMO points shown, but around here there are at least 5 different networks each requiring their own access card and subscription, plus the issues of some points being restricted hours, some with per-minute charges so expensive you'd only ever use in an emergency, some free-of-charge; some with no maintenance contract so they are sometimes out-of-order for months at a time. If I'm planning to use one, I consult several different websites to gauge when I'm actually going to be able to rely on it. So to really do a proper job of putting them in the nav would be complex and difficult, needing to merge multiple different information sources and/or provide a selection of different overlays. So I respect Tesla's decision that if they can't do it properly it's best not to do it at all. If you live somewhere that has just one network of outstanding quality, you may feel differently.

And again, for my usage, the lack of on-screen points isn't a big deal. Most of the time I'm travelling along routes I use regularly, and the CHAdeMO points on those routes (at least the ones that are worth using) are on the nav display because I've used them before. On the rare occasion I'm making a huge road-trip, I'm probably planning all the other aspects of the trip (hotels etc) on my PC beforehand and can check out the charging options then. So for that very rare occasion where I'm in the car making an un-planned trip to a part of the country I don't know, it would be nice to have more on the car's display, but I can live with using my phone if I have to.

Reactions: David99
I remain very interested in ChaDeMo chargers when and if they are fully-functional and full-strength.

That has been a concern a lot. I read about overheating issues and chargers shutting off. My experience is quite the opposite. Every CHADeMO charger I used (with one exception) worked flawless. The 'overheating issues' seem to be a confusion. Almost all CHADeMO stations have a time limit and shot off. Many believe they overheat, but it's really just a time limit. I found a few stations that don't have time limits and they charged just fine for as long as I needed to fill up my battery. I have yet to find a station that was limited to 20 kW. No doubt, the Superchargers are better, but my experience with CHADeMO stations have been very positive.

It's not likely that BMW dealers have CHAdeMO units since the i3/i8 can't use it, they use CCS.

My last visit to the Petaluma SC, not sharing a stall, produced only 70kW, CHAdeMO at 50kW is not that much slower.

The big question is whether CHAdeMO or CCS will emerge as the dominate standard for non-Tesla DC charging. They both have an absolutely awful connector compared to the Tesla. And I can't understand why the CHAdeMO and CCS cables are about twice as large as the Tesla cables when they carry less current; the CHAdeMO and CCS specs both top out at 200a.

But if you want to get off the SC highway, more options to charge is a good thing.

Tesla isn't going to promote CHAdeMO charging in the nav system (at least not in the US) but since you should plan ahead anyway you can use Plugshare to see if there is one that you need where you're going and enter that address to navigate to. Once you charge there it will show us bas a visited charger.

In the US the nav in the tesla does NOT display chademo locations, get plugshare to show those locations.
Clarification: "visited chargers" in the app does show all chargers visited including level 1, CHAdeMO and anything else that actually connected and gave a charge. It shows locations only, except for Superchargers, so there is no information about what any given location had for power.

However, PlugShare and EVTripPlanner together do a quite good job of finding almost everything. There are available site that do not appear on PlugShare and EVTripPlanner too, especially new ones.

I'm sure you were trying to be concise.

It's not likely that BMW dealers have CHAdeMO units since the i3/i8 can't use it, they use CCS.

My last visit to the Petaluma SC, not sharing a stall, produced only 70kW, CHAdeMO at 50kW is not that much slower.

The big question is whether CHAdeMO or CCS will emerge as the dominate standard for non-Tesla DC charging. They both have an absolutely awful connector compared to the Tesla. And I can't understand why the CHAdeMO and CCS cables are about twice as large as the Tesla cables when they carry less current; the CHAdeMO and CCS specs both top out at 200a.

But if you want to get off the SC highway, more options to charge is a good thing.
FWIW, Tesla is a member of the global association that supports CCS, as is BMW, and nearly every other non-Japanese manufacturer
News: Charging Interface Initiative e. V. (CharIN e. V.)
BMW dealers will not have CHAdeMO, a Japanese standard devised by TEPCO(Tokyo Electric Power) with major domestic car companies. CHAdeMO, pronounced in Japanese means "time for tea".

The newest iteration of CCS has eventual capacity to support much higher charge rates than anything today and also will support multiple billing options, so will allow several manufacturers, for example, to offer free CCS to their cars, while non-free categories will have many options, such as ChargePoint or EVgo (both members).

The eventual standard is certainly CCS, but continuing life for Superchargers, CHAdeMO and others will be around too.