Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Make/Model Review — Using with a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First experience with a Greenlots / Brightfield CHAdeMO charger. I scanned the QR code with the Greenlots app and it started charging, $1 minimum then $0.20/min ($12/hr) thereafter. I saw 147MPH with 385V@116A, around 45kW. But not before a few false starts. Got a "Remote Start Request Rejected" error, then "Alarm Occur, Emergency Stop" error. Turns out the emergency stop button had been pushed in - I gave it a quarter-turn and it popped out. Charging went fine thereafter.

Funny--same exact thing just happened to me at the Greenlots charger in Columbus, GA. That button needs to have glass in front of it or something. I'm pretty sure every kids that walks by sees a big red "push me" button.

Some more info on the Greenlots/Brightfield chargers:

Here's a link to the 30 page charger manual -
http://gptechnology.com/sites/gptechnology.com/files/FC50K-CC-S%20Manual%28Nissan%29_v.09%202-2015.pdf
This helped me troubleshoot the errors I saw initially.

And the pricing policy here -

http://brightfieldts.com/dc-fast-charger-dcfc-pricing-policies-on-greenlots-network/
They claim "A Tesla Model S (85 kWh battery) will receive between 80%-100% in about 100 minutes = $20*"

My charging history is similar: 32kW in 43min for $8.72.
More expensive than charging at home but cheaper than gas...

IMG_4622.jpg

What i did not explain well is how frustrating the non-intuitive method of connecting this CHAdeMO connector combined with the instructions written in Iconish with no supportive words was. I finally studied the diagram above, and figured out that you have to push the CHAdeMO connector in, then squeeze the large, lower level.
This is why anyone who has not used CHAdeMO before or hasn't used the early crap Yazaki CHAdeMO handles or has found them tricky should watch the 1st two (or maybe all 3) videos at CHAdeMO Make/Model Review — Using with a Tesla - Page 15 BEFORE charging ANY car w/CHAdeMO.

If you want to skip the chatter on all these, skip to ~0:40.
My charging history is similar: 32kWh in 43min for $8.72.
View attachment 77911
FYP. The units in the screenshot are correct.

This is why anyone who has not used CHAdeMO before or hasn't used the early crap Yazaki CHAdeMO handles or has found them tricky should watch the 1st two (or maybe all 3) videos at CHAdeMO Make/Model Review — Using with a Tesla - Page 15 BEFORE charging ANY car w/CHAdeMO.

Correct handling of the many different CHAdeMO handle types is much more important for Model S than for the LEAF. There's even a case of a broken CHAdeMO handle at a Nissan dealer in South Burlington, Vermont where the station apparently still works for LEAFs, but not for Model S.

It is because the weight of the bulky head helps maintain the seal in the LEAF's port, since the pistol is inserted down into the car. With the Tesla adapter, the head is hanging upside down in the air, so any looseness in the connection is fatal.

Tried out another Greenlots / Brightfield charger today in Matthews, NC. 45kW - 389V@118A. Got 15kWh in 20 minutes at a cost of $4.00.

Only problem - I got the same error I'd received at another Greenlots charger - Emergency Stop button had been pushed in and not reset. Had to twist the button until it popped out then charging commenced.

IMG_4639.jpg

IMG_4635.jpg

Thanks to everyone for this thread. If I had only read it before i wen to use my new CHAdeMO adapter. It took me roughly ten minutes to understand the icons well enough to intuit the bizarre handle. After that the weight of all that gear seemed excessive so I have since supported it all by resting on the protective post in front of the charger. That works pretty well but I do keep the adapter shipping carton just in case I need it.

I just completed a 5,700 mile road trip that included a drive along the Oregon Coast. I found the AeroVironment CHAdeMO stations -- part of the West Coast Electric Highway -- to be easy to use and worked perfectly with the Tesla adapter. It is a bit cumbersome the first time since you have to provide all your billing information for your credit/debit card, but after that they just ask for name, charger number and CC number. The person on the phone stays online until the charging commences. The stations all seem to be 40 kW units. In one case the Tesla screen claimed the CHAdeMO adapter was overheating and ramped down to 30 kW, then 20 kW, then back up to 40 kW. This was in the sun on a nearly 100 degree Fahrenheit day -- a rarity in Oregon!

The fixed session cost is $7.50 regardless of the amount of energy you consume. In most sessions I stored about 60 kWh.

I used a total of four (4) CHAdeMO stations without any other issue.

You can pay $20 per month and have unlimited CHAdeMO charging on the West Coast Electric Highway at those AeroVironment chargers.

No phone calls, no credit cards every time. Just a simple fob.

As a contrast consider the hassle for a Canadian wishing to charge a Model S at NRG eVgo CHAdeMO stations :

1) They will not allow you to sign up for a card. (An apparent work-around is to use the address of a friend in the states, all the while using your correct telephone and credit card numbers).

2) You can purchase a 30-minute session for $9.99 by phone. Unfortunately, Canadians using the Tesla adapter are limited to 25 kW max at the Nissan brand CHAdeMO stations that eVgo favors. So, you might need seven phones calls, more than 3.5 hours, and $70 to fully charge your 85.

Thanks for the nice review!

Where was that ABB unit located?

It's curious that you got 120 Amps and not 125 Amps...

Most welcome!

The ABB unit is located in the parking garage of the Whole Foods on Market st @ Dolores in San Francisco. It was recently installed right next to the Nissan CHAdeMO charger I posted about three months back (here: #125). They're both on NRG's eVgo network unfortunately (they still don't have an account login or mobile app...)

I never got 125A in the 30 minutes I was charging, but I did start around 70% charge, so perhaps the car limited current based on high SoC. I'll try again when I'm under 50% to see if I can get the full 125A.