Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Make/Model Review — Using with a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have used three different of those ABB Terra 53 stations. Though they're labeled as 125A, they are often set lower. At one site, I get 120A max, another tops out at 100A, and I've never seen more than 88A on the third. The latter one also appears to be on a system that limits the site's peak demand. Otherwise, I can't explain why current frequently goes up and down in the 70A-85A range.

I have now charged over a dozen times on Circontrol Trio fast chargers, as used on the RAC Electric Highway

Worked perfectly every time. They max out at 118A

In addition to providing DC fast charging on CHAdeMO and CCS, they also supply up to 63A @ 250V AC on a third lead, which has a Mennekes / type 2 connector that plugs directly into (EU/Aussie spec) Model S, and can be used simultaneously with another EV charging on DC. (up to 24kW on dual-charger Model S, 12kW on single charger)

racehmargs.png
racehbusso.png

chademo.png
3phase.png

Not sure if this is news, but I haven't seen it mentioned, so I figured I'd pass it along.

Today I was charging in downtown Redwood City CA at the Nissan branded CHAdeMO in the parking garage and a Nissan tech arrived to do service on the station. He said he was doing maintenance and upgrades to nearby (Bay Area I assume) chargers to prevent overheating. He was upgrading cooling fans and other components, along with routine stuff like changing/cleaning filters. Hopefully that will help with the overheating problems (Thermostat Error) that often happens on the Nissan Slim CHAdeMOs.

Anyone ever get the Error 10007 Charger error before? We get that error every time we try to use the adapter. The only fix we found is to start the machine and then plug it into the adapter right away and it works.
Have you gone to a Tesla Service center and had your CHAdeMO adapter flashed with the latest firmware update? That might fix the problem.

The Flasha-De-Mo unit at the Service Centers has pins that connect with the "Big" side of the adapter, and an RS-232 Serial Port for connection to a PC. I shoulda taken a picture :)

I called Minneapolis service center and they think it's just because the unit is expecting no voltage when plugged in to car. Tesla sends small voltage down the line. So with Vhargepoint units I have to start it and then plug it into the adapter to get it to work.

I called Minneapolis service center and they think it's just because the unit is expecting no voltage when plugged in to car. Tesla sends small voltage down the line. So with Vhargepoint units I have to start it and then plug it into the adapter to get it to work.

ChargePoint is a network... they don't use one type of charger. It fact, most of the DC chargers (perhaps all), they don't even own.

Some Networks with CHAdeMO stations in the USA:

1) ChargePoint
2) West Coast Electric Highway (AeroVironment)
3) NRG / eVgo
4) Greenlots
5) OPconnect
6) Blink / Car Charging
7) EVconnect
8) SEMAconnect (don't have DC charging yet, but it's coming)
9) ...many others

This following list has nothing to do with which network sticker is on any individual charger, but instead is a list of the actual manufacturers of the charger used by those networks:

Aerovironment Fleet Fast Charging Station Line
Aerovironment DC Fast Charge Station
Aker Wade Level III Fast Charger (discontinued)
Andromeda Power ORCA-Mobile
Delta EV DC Quick Charger
Eaton Pow-R-Station DC Quick Charger
Ecotality Blink DC Fast Charger (discontinued)
Efacec QC50
Epyon Power Terra 50.X System
Epyon Power Terra 50.1 Charge Station
EVTEC MobileFastCharger
EVTEC PublicFastCharger
Fuji FRCH50B-2-01
Nichicon Quick Charger
Nissan NSQC-44 Series
Schneider Electric Fast Charger
Trinity Veefil

Last edited:
Upgrading the firmware on the adapter is done via USB and a laptop. They don't need your car to do it.

I stopped by the Rocklin, CA store today for the seat belt inspection, and I asked if they'd update the firmware on my CHAdeMO adapter. It took 30 minutes or so. I didn't get to see it occur. I bought mine when there was still a sign-up list, so I'm hoping it's better now. The last time I used it, it took 7 tries to get it to work. The charger was one of those "$4.95 plus $0.20/min" and I ended up getting charged $4.95 twice. Oh well.

I stopped by the Rocklin, CA store today for the seat belt inspection, and I asked if they'd update the firmware on my CHAdeMO adapter. It took 30 minutes or so. I didn't get to see it occur. I bought mine when there was still a sign-up list, so I'm hoping it's better now. The last time I used it, it took 7 tries to get it to work. The charger was one of those "$4.95 plus $0.20/min" and I ended up getting charged $4.95 twice. Oh well.
Wow - $4.95 plus $0.20/min? Doesn't that make it more expensive than gas?

Wow - $4.95 plus $0.20/min? Doesn't that make it more expensive than gas?

Sure. It's a free market. Nobody forced me to pay. It was 2 blocks from the hotel I was staying in, it was convenient, and it allowed me to get enough range to do a side trip rather than head directly to next supercharger on my trip.

And, that rate is just for the casual user. EvGo has a monthly all-you-can-use plan for $20 if you're traveling in an area without superchargers.