Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Make/Model Review — Using with a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
10cents / min = $6/hr. If the charger runs at 40kW, that is $6/40kWh = $0.15/kWh Correct? A pretty good price -- I'd assume with demand charges they lose money at that price. Blink charges $0.59/kWh for DC charging here in CA.

EV Go requires a contract term of 12 months for its 10¢/min plan. After using Superchargers I don't really like the idea of paying, and I certainly don't like the idea of paying more than the cost of gasoline. The profit margin must be huge for these companies?

Yes, it must be HUUUuuuuuuge, since there's a direct connection to the cost of gasoline and their profits.

Returning from earth orbit, we find that NRG / eVgo just laid off tons of people, split out eVgo from the NRG as a separate company, and is losing tons of money.

Yes, it must be HUUUuuuuuuge, since there's a direct connection to the cost of gasoline and their profits.

Returning from earth orbit, we find that NRG / eVgo just laid off tons of people, split out eVgo from the NRG as a separate company, and is losing tons of money.

I was basing my statement on the cost of electricity. Laying people off is not an indication of profit, it could also be an indication of gross mismanagement of company resources.

I was basing my statement on the cost of electricity. Laying people off is not an indication of profit, it could also be an indication of gross mismanagement of company resources.

Except the cost of electricity may not even be the largest cost. Let's say a 90kWh car shows up, and is near zero on range. At 90% overall efficiency (all cooling losses included), then we are close to 100kWh consumed to fill the car.

At the national average of $0.12 per kWh, that's $12.00. In California, where the average commercial rate is $0.1822, that would be $18.22.

EIA - Electricity Data

What did I leave out that might cost even more?

1) Cost of capital to install / acquire said chargers
2) Insurance
3) Maintenance
4) Billing / accounting
5) Depreciation of assets
6) Advertsing
7) Other normal business expenses, not limited to planning, overhead, etc

But, I saved the biggest one for last:

Demand Fees

Average Demand Charges in CA $18

Charging networks simply do not make money. An occasional charger here and there in a high utilization area might make money but in general they are money losers. I have no sympathy for people that complain about high charger prices since I know that without those prices, no new chargers will be built.

Charging networks simply do not make money. An occasional charger here and there in a high utilization area might make money but in general they are money losers. I have no sympathy for people that complain about high charger prices since I know that without those prices, no new chargers will be built.

Quebec is becoming a center of dual CHAdeMO/CCS stations despite only charging $10/hr (actually 7.40 USD/hr) for 47 kW service (some locations have a 42 kW cap).

It's because the government and Nissan have been picking up about 2/3 of the purchase and installation costs and local hosts have been willing to invest in order to attract customers. For example, a rotisserie chicken chain has about ten locations with CHAdeMO.

Quebec is becoming a center of dual CHAdeMO/CCS stations despite only charging $10/hr (actually 7.40 USD/hr) for 47 kW service (some locations have a 42 kW cap).

It's because the government and Nissan have been picking up about 2/3 of the purchase and installation costs and local hosts have been willing to invest in order to attract customers. For example, a rotisserie chicken chain has about ten locations with CHAdeMO.

Yes, of course, subsidized things can be "free" or lower cost.

The costs to provide that service didn't go away... the are just paid for elsewhere. The same is true of the Tesla Supercharger network.

Yes, of course, subsidized things can be "free" or lower cost.

The costs to provide that service didn't go away... the are just paid for elsewhere. The same is true of the Tesla Supercharger network.

No one disputes that.

However, the passage I quoted contained the claim that CHAdeMO stations would not be getting built without high prices being billed for electricity. Perhaps this is true in California, but it certainly is not the case in many other places.