Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Make/Model Review — Using with a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just charged at this type of Nissan manufactured Chademo station on the evGo network. Worked great, charged at 41 kW according to the car.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1424845108.378698.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1424845125.455929.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1424845154.211784.jpg

I just charged at this type of Nissan manufactured Chademo station on the evGo network. Worked great, charged at 41 kW according to the car.
View attachment 73284
I notice the "time left" estimate of 28 minutes. You're charging at 41kW, you have an SOC of 67%... so assuming you have an S60, that's a flat guess of "no taper to 100%" which is obviously not how this works. And if you have an 85 it's completely wrong...

I have an 85. No, that time left was just an authorized time left. It is the station's screen. Since I had to phone in, they only authorized it for 30 minutes. Once I get my evGo RFID card, I should be able to charge however long it takes.

My concern with CHAdeMO stations is that they may or may not have been designed with sustained output in mind. Keep in mind that a CHAdeMO station will charge a Leaf or other in-existence non-Tesla EV on the order of 20-30 minutes. If a dead Model S needs a full charge, that is 2+ hours sustained full output. I wouldn't be surprised if stations fail under these requirements.

My concern with CHAdeMO stations is that they may or may not have been designed with sustained output in mind. Keep in mind that a CHAdeMO station will charge a Leaf or other in-existence non-Tesla EV on the order of 20-30 minutes. If a dead Model S needs a full charge, that is 2+ hours sustained full output. I wouldn't be surprised if stations fail under these requirements.
Lets make these units squeal!!!!

do it now, show the units faults now, before mass ev adoption really kicks in, that way hopefully they can have units upgraded to handle loads by that time.

Lets make these units squeal!!!!

do it now, show the units faults now, before mass ev adoption really kicks in, that way hopefully they can have units upgraded to handle loads by that time.

Until the message is "no Teslas". The leaf owners etc start complaining that the Teslas are breaking their fast chargers. "Tesla has their own fast chargers. Model s owners should use those."

Etc..

View attachment 73284

Thanks for the great report!

Did you charge for the whole 30 minutes to see how the eVgo/Nissan NSQC442E did under a sustained load for 30 minutes? At this power that would be almost 70 rated miles in 30 minutes, not a Supercharger, but not too shabby, either.

Your power here was a DC in of 40.9 kW. That compares directly with a Supercharger that would have probably provided about 60 kW at this SoC.

Remember that to compare this with L2 AC charging, you need to correct for the approximate 90% efficiency converting AC to DC power, so 40.9 kW DC is about the same as 45.4 kW AC power. That means that this CHAdeMO charger is providing about 2.4x the power and charge rate of a 240V, 80A L2, 2.7x a 208V, 80A L2, and 7.3x a 208V, 30A L2. That is pretty sweet!

I didn't do the full 30 minutes, just 15. But the muffin fans at the back were blowing nicely and the air didn't feel too hot. No other part of the unit, or the cables or the Tesla adapter felt warm. Late next week, I'll be doing a trip that requires a Chademo fill up at another nissan unit and we'll see how well it holds up. Except for the bulky Chademo handle and really thick and unwieldy cable, it all went smoothly.

Until the message is "no Teslas". The leaf owners etc start complaining that the Teslas are breaking their fast chargers. "Tesla has their own fast chargers. Model s owners should use those."

Etc..
Good point. My adapter arrived Monday, got home from China tuesday, and today is Wednesday. I am going to ABB HQ here and testing on one of there units at there facility. If I break it, hopefully they would be happy I did so to show where their station's faults are. And Level 2's are close by in case of offline incident.

I have an 85. No, that time left was just an authorized time left. It is the station's screen. Since I had to phone in, they only authorized it for 30 minutes. Once I get my evGo RFID card, I should be able to charge however long it takes.
IIRC, even when you get the card it will only run for 30 minutes. Then you need to swipe the card again and pay the per session fee again. Nice, huh?

That will be interesting to see...My card is set up to turn on the eVgo DC Fast Charger and then the 30 minute countdown clock starts. So it doesn't go as long as it takes...

Blink, however, will charge up to 220 miles total range on the Model S when you choose "100%" on the Blink menu, which is not surprising since it turns off early on a LEAF as well.

Etc..
Maybe with oddball Nissan dealer units that allow charging on a charitable basis. But eVgo is a for-profit business and has no incentive to piss off Tesla drivers who subscribe to their Freedom Station plans - they'll figure out a way.

I went back to the Nissan charger I had written about before, this time with a half empty battery.

IMG_3683.JPG

I started with 98 rated miles = 49%. Initial charging 103 A @ 323 V = 33 kW - better than before.
After about 10-12 min it dropped to 93 A @ 333 V = 31 kW at 120 mi = 60% battery - I thought it was starting to taper ...
Another 8 minutes later it was 103 A @ 339 V = 35 kW at 135 mi = 68% - What the ... ???

That's when I stopped, needed to go back. The average at the end was 110 mi/hr, not too bad, and clearly better than before. Why the charge rate went down and then back up I don't understand.

Regarding the "Rainproof" spec on the label: The muffin exhaust fans are pointing up at an angle, no cover or anything. I would be surprised if they were spec'd to be exposed to rain, but I might be wrong. I don't know if there is anything other than heat sinks underneath, but it doesn't look very rainproof to me:

IMG_3692.JPG

Finally here is a good reason why these units may be less reliable than designed (mentioned before in other CHAdeMO threads) - pictures of the air inlet near the ground:

IMG_3693.JPG

IMG_3694.JPG

Sorry, these images came out rotated after uploading, but they illustrate the issue of the air intake being significantly restricted by debris. This is a "free-of-charge" unit and who knows if there is any maintenance or repair arrangement when (not if :) the unit overheats. During my 20+ minutes there the unit performed ok, and nothing felt hot, but of course the inside temperatures may be already high after my "Leaf"-like charge load.

AeroVironment EV50-PS

According to our granddaughter, “CHAdeMO charging is so awesome!” It opens up lots of trips off the Supercharger Highway, especially in Oregon.

My CHAdeMO adaptor was delivered to the Portland Service Center. Yesterday when I picked up they ensured the Model S software and the adaptor’s firmware were up to date. Then I was off to a weekend on the Oregon Coast.

Today, I charged in Lincoln City using the adaptor on an AeroVironment EV50-PS that is part of the West Coast Electric Highway. Wow — it was a whole lot faster than overnight! The screen of the charger said I received for 37kwh and charged to 90%. I was away from the car, but the session increased range the RM range close to 130 miles in an hour. Cost was $ 7.50. I think the granddaughter is right. Awesome.

Tesla’s delivery may have taken a while, but I am extremely pleased with the new CHAdeMO adaptor. Tesla has clearly delivered another first class product.

According to our granddaughter, “CHAdeMO charging is so awesome!” It opens up lots of trips off the Supercharger Highway, especially in Oregon.

My CHAdeMO adaptor was delivered to the Portland Service Center. Yesterday when I picked up they ensured the Model S software and the adaptor’s firmware were up to date. Then I was off to a weekend on the Oregon Coast.

Today, I charged in Lincoln City using the adaptor on an AeroVironment EV50-PS that is part of the West Coast Electric Highway. Wow — it was a whole lot faster than overnight! The screen of the charger said I received for 37kwh and charged to 90%. I was away from the car, but the session increased range the RM range close to 130 miles in an hour. Cost was $ 7.50. I think the granddaughter is right. Awesome.

Tesla’s delivery may have taken a while, but I am extremely pleased with the new CHAdeMO adaptor. Tesla has clearly delivered another first class product.

I agree the Aerovironment L3 units are the best. Washington and Oregon have a good number and we have really been using them. Being able to use them means driving the Model S on all trips to Sea-Tac Airport, Seattle and Everett. simply no excuse about charging time.