Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Missing From Tesla-Japan Website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
I recently noticed that the Tesla-Japan website no longer appears to offer the CHAdeMO adapter for sale (Tesla-Japan "Charging" Page). I was pretty sure that the CHAdeMO adapter used to be sold there. (Perhaps I am mistaken?)
  • I though that CHAdeMO was an important charging device in Japan. Is CHAdeMO less important now because of Superchargers in Japan?

• Does Tesla include a CHAdeMO adapter with the purchase of a new car?

• If not, can customers still buy the CHAdeMO adapter at a Tesla Service Center?

• If Tesla has indeed stopped sales, how will new owners be able to use CHAdeMO charging stations? Are there CHAdeMO-to-Tesla adapters made by other companies?
Thank you for any information about this.
CHAdeMO Adapter

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
They emailed me back and confirmed it is no longer included. Need to source one ourselves now, no reason was given.

That is surprising to me.

CHAdeMO is an important charging standard in Japan, I believe. Elsewhere--South Korea, Taiwan, USA, Canada--CCS (1 or 2) charging stations are more popular. But not Japan. I do not understand how Tesla could abandon this device.

Perhaps because the new CHAdeMO-GB/T (Japan+China) standard charging plug is coming? (CHAdeMO and China to release new EV quick-charging standard)

Even before the pandemic, Tesla was seen testing higher power CHAdeMO adapters. I would not be surprised if they stopped production on the original 125A CHAdeMO adapter and will provide CCS and higher power CHAdeMO adapters in various markets around the world. 200A would be the next likely current limit for such an adapter since that is the maximum for a non-cooled CHAdeMO connector.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and tps5352
Wait a second, do you need an adapter to charge a Model 3 in Japan?
I'm moving to Japan next July and I didn't know about this.

Japan has the same Tesla plug as the USA.

Tesla had always supplied a CHAdeMO adapter with the cars there because CHAdeMO is the Japanese standard and at the time CHAdeMO chargers were ubiquitous while Supercharger locations were limited.
At least there are now many more Supercharger locations in Japan, and Tesla's findus indicates that more will be coming.

Given that North America will have the CCS adapter, I understand why Tesla wouldn't want to have a Japan-only CHAdeMO adapter.

But this is bad for Tesla owners in Japan. Just go to Plugshare and you'll see that CHAdeMO coverage is dense while Supercharger coverage is sparse.

Maybe you can hope that Tesla plans to have a new CHAdeMO adapter that will be more like the CCS adapter design.

Japan has the same Tesla plug as the USA.

Tesla had always supplied a CHAdeMO adapter with the cars there because CHAdeMO is the Japanese standard and at the time CHAdeMO chargers were ubiquitous while Supercharger locations were limited.
At least there are now many more Supercharger locations in Japan, and Tesla's findus indicates that more will be coming.

Given that North America will have the CCS adapter, I understand why Tesla wouldn't want to have a Japan-only CHAdeMO adapter.

But this is bad for Tesla owners in Japan. Just go to Plugshare and you'll see that CHAdeMO coverage is dense while Supercharger coverage is sparse.

Maybe you can hope that Tesla plans to have a new CHAdeMO adapter that will be more like the CCS adapter design.
Ah, I get it.

So I'll need a CHAdeMO adapter to use the other chargers?
I still have to look on solutions to charge my Model 3 once I'm in Japan.
I was considering doing at home and Superchargers for long trips, but definitely I was counting on other charging stations.

What's the most convenient option? My wife (Japanese) mentioned we can buy a charging subscription for the e-Mobility Power (?).
Is that correct?

And for using that I guess I'll need a CHAdeMO adapter...

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
Hi,

According to Tesla Japan, they said they would accommodate the purchase request of the CHAdeMO adapter if the customer requires it. So the adapter is getting rare, but still available, and they understand it is necessary.
Thanks Hiroshiy. So should we ask our sales representative for it so that we get it along with our car during delivery?

Is a CHAdeMO adapter in Japan the exact same as a CHAdeMO adapter in North America of South Korea?

I.e., would a CHAdeMO adapter purchased in one of those countries (Japan, South Korea, Canada, ot the USA) work in any of the other three countries?

They all have the CHAdeMO port at one end and the Tesla Proprietary plug at the other end. I just don't know if the internal electronics are exactly the same.

So to summarize:
  • Tesla CHAdeMO adapters no longer displayed on Tesla Japan website.
  • But CHAdeMO adapter are available on request from Tesla Service Centers, correct?
  • And they are not provided free-of-charge with new cars, right?
  • May I ask what the cost is?
*****​
Oops, sorry! I missed the price, above. (No dollar sign--ha, ha.)

So, $443 (USD) (Y51,100).

Good that they are still available. Not so in North America. The Type 2-plug version in Great Britain has had a drastically-reduced discount price. All sold out at the moment. Maybe Japan and China will release the new, more powerful CHAdeMO-GB/T standard. It will require a new adapter, I imagine.

Last edited:
So to summarize:
  • Tesla CHAdeMO adapters no longer displayed on Tesla Japan website.
  • But CHAdeMO adapter are available on request from Tesla Service Centers, correct?
  • And they are not provided free-of-charge with new cars, right?
  • May I ask what the cost is?
1 - correct
2 - correct
3 - not since Nov. 20th, 2021
4 - as mentioned above, 51,100 tax in

People are noticing that Tesla CHAdeMO adapters in Europe (e.g., Great Britain, Italy, Germany, etc.) are very inexpensive right now. They wonder if a European CHAdeMO adapter can be purchased and used elsewhere (e.g., Japan).

The answer is NO. Do not buy an Italian CHAdeMO to use in Japan, North America, or South Korea. It will probably not work.

Despite the photo on the Tesla-Europe sites, the European CHAdeMO adapters have a Type 2 plug to attach to the Models S and X there. That plug does NOT fit a North American, Japanese, or South Korean Tesla. Cars in those three areas use the Tesla Proprietary Connector (TPC charging ports and corresponding plugs).

The European (Type 2) CHAdeMO adapters actually look like this:
Type 2 CHAdeMO.jpg
As you can see it has a different (larger) attachment plug that will not fit a car made for Canada, Mexico, the USA, South Korea, or Japan. Too bad, because CHAdeMO adapters in Europe are very inexpensive right now. (I suspect that Tesla is dumping them in anticipation of some kind of change. Perhaps because there is a new CHAdeMO standard connector coming from China+Japan? I don't know.

I believe that the CHAdeMO adapter pictured above will work in all the European countries, as well as Oceania (New Zealand and Australia, Hong Kong, and [now] Taiwan).

Why do so many Tesla websites have the wrong CHAdeMO adapter pictured? (I am not sure. I suspect it is just web-master laziness.) The TPC CHAdeMO adapter (used in Japan, South Korea, and North America) looks like this:

CHAdeMO Adapter.jpg

Last edited: