Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO suddenly not communicating with public EV chargers -- HUH?!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC!!

tl;dr
my 1-yr old CHAdeMO adapter suddenly doesn't communicate to EV chargers
potentially a software update can fix but apparently TESLA doesn't service them anymore (in SoCal at least)
I'm suggested by TESLA reps to pay for CCS upgrade since TESLA no longer supports CHAdeMO in US
not too happy about this -- any suggestions?

I purchased a CHAdeMO adapter from the TESLA store a year ago and have been using it successfully almost weekly (since I can't charge at home/ no driveway) -- I have a 2018 M3 LR (non-CCS compatible) and I'd like to avoid paying for an CCS upgrade and also buying another adapter since the CHAdeMO adapter I purchased NEW is only a year old... I baby this thing in the box so I assure you this hasn't been dropped or mishandled.
The other day at the (Pasadena, CA) Marengo Charging Plaza, I hooked up my CHAdeMO per the usual at the Power-Up Pasadena Tritium chargers and nothing. The Tritium charger did not throw an error nor did my TESLA. So I retried connecting my adapter and still nothing so I went to 3 other Tritium chargers and same nothing.
Another guy in the lot was also trying his CHAdeMO adapter on his 2019 M3 and also getting nothing -- no connection.
Only 1 other guy had his CHAdeMO working but he was charging a MX so maybe a clue there?
The other guy trying his adapter like me said he had heard of these adapters needing firmware updates too but that needed to be done at a TESLA service center. (HOPE!!)

Drove to TESLA service center in Burbank and they told me yes it's true these adapters need firmware updates and maintenance from time-to-time and they USED to provide that service BUT not anymore due to TESLA not selling this adapter anymore in the US -- NEWSFLASH to me!!
The TESLA service rep suggested I pay for the CCS upgrade and buy the new adapter when it comes out -- estimate total $1200 +/- for the upgrade work + new adapter.

Reached out to another TESLA service center to get a 2nd opinion and they also said no service center has the machine to service these CHAdeMO adapters, apologized, suggested the upgrade as the previous rep from the other service center (coincidence?), and suggested I reach out to TESLA online store customer service for a solution.

I emailed TESLA online store customer service and hoping to hear back soon with more reasonable solution, like a way to get these adapters working again or replacement.

Overall not too happy with this so far... I guess I did get my money's worth from the adapter but loosing support with no contact or solution other than to pay and upgrade doesn't sit right.

I have been using the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter for about 2 1/2 years, mostly on ChargePoint DCFC but I've also connected to local EVgo and Electrify America stations (when they are free). I recently used it on an EVCS station in Brookings, OR. No problems other than occasionally running into a ChargePoint station which was down. My adapter has not received any firmware upgrades although my car has. Currently running 2022.4 but the last time I charged with the CHAdeMO adapter I was running 2021.36.5.1

What software version are you on?

Reactions: buckets0fun
@eM3LR Welcome to TMC!!

I saw you emailed Tesla online store customer service. Don't get hopes up there for meaningful solution to your problem.

Also service people often like to speculate or offer suggestions. These things as much as one might not want to hear it are better set by setting a service appointment. Put it in writing both you and Tesla. Hey I wanted to charge with this thing you told me I needed, car is one year old. Doesn't work. Saw other people with same issue. Maybe also I went back there twice. Still doesn't work.....

My bet is the answer is something like this: Nothing, but situational.

I carry my adapter to adapt. I know it may not always work because of the handshake. I never make it my crutch or my failsafe.

Interesting you said a rep told you to buy the upgrade. I wasn't aware it was even offered yet. Yet alone a price. Do you have a link where I could buy that? Sounds like water cooler talk.

I have been using the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter for about 2 1/2 years, mostly on ChargePoint DCFC but I've also connected to local EVgo and Electrify America stations (when they are free). I recently used it on an EVCS station in Brookings, OR. No problems other than occasionally running into a ChargePoint station which was down. My adapter has not received any firmware upgrades although my car has. Currently running 2022.4 but the last time I charged with the CHAdeMO adapter I was running 2021.36.5.1

What software version are you on?
It's the handshake from the adapter to the charging station that is having the issue. My M3 is on 2021.44.30.11

Reactions: illiniknick
UPDATE: seems I wasn't the only one experiencing this issue at the Pasadena chargers... and someone figured out solution (posted on plugshare) ..turns out the order of the handshake needs to be adapter connected to TESLA first, then use the CHAdeMO cable from the charger and plug into the adapter -- success!!
*note: prior to a couple weeks ago (and confirmed at a couple other stations outside Pasadena), the order of the handshake does not matter. For some reason those Pasadena chargers NOW only recognize the TESLA adapter if it's plugged in first to your car.
#lessons

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles and RayK
Thanks for providing that information. All of the times I've used the CHAdeMO adapter I plug it into the EVSE first, then insert the adapter into my car. For ChargePoint stations I then swipe my tag to start the session. The EVgo, EA and EVCS stations have been free so I just push a button to start. If I ever run into a Tritium charger, I'll reverse my connection order.

I think I know why this is...

Tritium Veefills tend to lock the connector right away once you connect, for some reason. If they apply 12v power to the ss1/pin 2 at that time (which I suspect they're doing), the adapter will time out really quickly if it doesn't see a Tesla on the other side (I think it's 6 seconds). Since it's not normally practical to connect the adapter to the car that quickly after connecting the CHAdeMO side, you're seeing the timeout. So for these Tritiums, connecting the car side first is your only practical option.

You can verify this by looking at the little green LED on the Tesla/cable side of the adapter. If after you plug in the CHAdeMO side, that little green light comes on right away, what I wrote above is happening. Note it's nearly impossible to see that LED in direct sunlight.

eM3LR - I would recommend reaching out to Tritium directly with your findings. They have a US office.

Reactions: beachmiles
.... the adapter will time out really quickly if it doesn't see a Tesla on the other side (I think it's 6 seconds). Since it's not normally practical to connect the adapter to the car that quickly after connecting the CHAdeMO side, you're seeing the timeout. So for these Tritiums, connecting the car side first is your only practical option.
I would dispute that somewhat. My usual process to connect to a ChargePoint CHAdeMO handle is to hold the Tesla adapter in my left hand and with my right, snap the CHAdeMO into the adapter and then within 3-5 seconds, plug it into my car. If I ever use a Tritium station I'll see if my technique works.

ChargePoint use to use Tritium as a supplier (CPE200), however, Tritium is now on their own, selling to whoever will purchase (selling to munis seems common, Pasadena is their own electrical utility). I suspect that they deployed a software update to these units that changed the CHAdeMO behavior (the prior to a couple weeks ago note is a big red flag). No idea if this software update will make its way to the old ChargePoint units, I would guess not.

Good info to know. I was trying to buy the CHAdeMO adapter when my Tesla Rep told me they no longer make or sell it. He didn't know why. Ones on E-bay are very expensive, and I had no idea that updates would be needed. There is a charge station where we frequent that has CCS and CHAdeMO, so was trying to find a way to use that charger. With all the new charging stations in the infrastructure bill (someday), I'm guessing they will be CCS or CHAdeMO, since these are used by Ford and Chevy. Guess I'll just have to wait until Tesla addresses this with new adapters.

Found this information on the CHAdeMO adapter in the owners manual . . . . .
Because continuous improvement is an ongoing goal at Tesla, and is necessary to ensure compatibility with as many models of CHAdeMO stations as possible, both present and future, Tesla reserves the right to make product modifications at any time. As a result, your CHAdeMO adapter may require an occasional firmware update. Firmware updates are performed by Tesla Service.

It also says that the adapter may not work at all stations.

Good info to know. I was trying to buy the CHAdeMO adapter when my Tesla Rep told me they no longer make or sell it. He didn't know why. Ones on E-bay are very expensive, and I had no idea that updates would be needed. There is a charge station where we frequent that has CCS and CHAdeMO, so was trying to find a way to use that charger. With all the new charging stations in the infrastructure bill (someday), I'm guessing they will be CCS or CHAdeMO, since these are used by Ford and Chevy. Guess I'll just have to wait until Tesla addresses this with new adapters.
I've had my CHAdeMO adapter for about 2 1/2 years. In that time I've never had to update the firmware in it because it didn't work with some station. You do need to be running something newer than 2019.24.1 in the car however. CHAdeMO is a dying standard. Most newer charging installations will not have it. Save your money for the (hopefully) upcoming CCS adapter.

I'm glad I read this thread before spending money on the CHAdeMO, I agree with you that it's best to wait. For the small amount of use I might get - the cost/benefit isn't worth it for me. I've got some Free J1772 that I use from time to time, superchargers on trips and otherwise charge at home. Our electric rates just went up (again) here in San Diego, so I'm at 30 cents a Kwh, what is your rate in San Jose?

I'm using my CHAdeMO adapter to charge at a local ChargePoint DCFC station which is priced at $0.19/kWh since I do not have any (efficient) way of charging at home. Which is to say I do not have a handy 240V outlet available. The low price is because it's subsidized by the Santa Clara County Valley Water District. Supercharger rates around here start from $0.24/kWh during off-peak times and are double for peak usage.

I've had solar on the roof since Nov. 2010 so I'm on PG&E's E-6 rate, a plan soon to go away. Cheapest cost currently is $0.25423/kWh (off-peak Tier 1) and goes up to $0.35312 for part-peak Tier 2. So ignoring the cost of the CHAdeMO adapter, it's cheaper for me to charge with the CHAdeMO. I do have a Gen2 HPWC still in its box in my garage and one of these days I'll install it.

Thanks, always nice to compare what cost are in other areas. Our superchargers are the same cost as yours. We don't have time of use tiers here, but we do have tiers over baseline. My baseline is around 760 Kwh, the cost gets progressively higher as you use more. We rarely go over baseline, maybe July and August with higher a/c use. All our heavy lifting (heat, cooking, hot water) is gas. But our lowest tier is still .30 cents per Kwh. As long as we're only charging one vehicle, we should be OK with home charging. I have a deposit on a Cyber Truck (years away), but two vehicles will become an issue with home charging. Solar may be needed by then, assuming the new proposals for CA don't mess solar up for us. I try to use some free chargers as much as we can, but these are limited to two hours, and only add about 50 miles. But free is free. Your .19 cent CHAdeMO is great, wish we had something like that.