TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CHAdeMo 'supercharger' station

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by DrComputer, Apr 27, 2013.

1. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

I'm in Maui on vacation and stopped by The Plantation for a visit and found these four high powered CHAdeMo chargers in the parking lot. Almost like a Tesla Supercharger station but in Hawaii.

uploadfromtaptalk1367086459708.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1367086481613.jpg

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I don't like the gas station look of the handles. Also, I'm unclear on why they're needed or wanted. I thought the original reason for the handles was because, like a pitcher, there's a liquid involved and spillage is undesirable.

3. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Too bad they are unusable by a Model S.

4. SuperCoug

SuperCoug Model S Res #7734

I could care less what the handles look like, I'd just love to be able to use those suckers! As far as looking like a gas station pump there is nothing wrong with giving people a form that is familiar and comfortable.

In fact, the rather conventional lines of the Model S itself is an attempt to make it feel familiar to a public that has certain expectations of what a car should look like. I applaud them for showing such restraint given that their clean sheet approach meant they could have designed something that looked like absolutely nothing else on the road (which is not always a good thing).

5. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

You bet. And that connector and cable are not a light weight like the J1772.

That is so neat - four of those suckers in a row. We have a bunch of those up here in the NW, but I've never seen more than one at a location.

6. TsRocket

TsRocket Member

Bring on the CHAdeMo's .... Charger anywhere, everywhere ...

7. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

Here's one common Estonian charging location with three most common EVs charging at them

1921047_567986466668483_4219174319261310027_o.jpg

Both of those two chargers have dual output. You can charge at 3x32A Type-II or ca 40-45kW CHAdeMO. You can even do both at the same time to two separate cars.

8. linkster

linkster Member

Yeah, i hope to see the popularity of these very important CHAdeMOs sites explode (unwise word selection) instead of the continuing instals of the almost useless (to me) low-powered J1772s at non-destination locations.

Btw, I would drop $2K on a pass. side taillight CHAdeMO charge port over a very non-elegant/bulky $1K CHAdeMO Tesla adapter.

9. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Indeed, I might argue that this is actually preferable. Certainly we see some blocking of Superchargers as political statements, but I assume a lot of it is that people simply don't know what they are. If they LOOKED like the gas pumps they're familiar with, maybe something would click, causing them to park elsewhere (not all Superchargers have signage).

Maybe that's too optimistic of me, though.

Anyway, 4 CHAdeMO is great. That's a substantial commitment someone made.

10. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

THe CHAdeMO connector looks much too large to fit behind the side tail light. I don't understand why they had to make it so big for something that charges much slower than a Tesla Supercharger??

11. liuping

liuping Active Member

It looks like this system from Hitachi: Multi-type Quick Charger : Infrastructure Systems : Hitachi

So it's 4 pedestals splitting a single 60kW converter. If one one car is charging it gets 50kW, 2 cars would share 30 kW each or do a 45/15 split, etc.

Seem like a nice solution, much better and more flexible than the usual one stall setup.

12. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

That makes much more sense. I was wondering what the demand must have been like to put in 4 full chargers simultaneously. Splitting is a nice way to make the spots more elastic with the same infrastructure. Even with potentially slower charging when it fills up, I like it.

13. drees

drees Active Member

#13 drees, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    Yes, very cool! Every QC station should be capable of power splitting like this with at least 2 plugs like Tesla Superchargers. Going to 3-4 may be overkill with only 60 kW available total, but if it's a busy location and you'll be gone over an hour, having multiple plugs (especially if each plug can reach multiple parking spots) is very convenient and really improves usability.

Edit: Looking at the cut sheet - could it be that you can't charge at more than 15 kW on each terminal if 4 are are installed? The translation from Japanese to English isn't good enough to tell for sure if it will actively allocate power to different plugs depending on current demand.

14. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Very simple answer: It was designed by a committee, not by a small group of engineers led by a forceful, driven leader.

15. liuping

liuping Active Member

Hmm, you may be right. I was reading the diagrams as usage patterns, but they may be the install patterns (based on the charts in the specifications section).

That would be too bad. Dynamic allocation makes much more sense.

16. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

And I suppose by being developed by Japanese companies, not exactly know for their aesthetic design.

17. miimura

miimura Active Member

This very poor translation seems to indicate dynamic power splitting. However, I wouldn't bet more than a coffee on it.

18. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member