Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO to CCS2 adaptor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I've ordered Tesla Model Y, but before that I've rented and driven it heavily over a week, and what I noticed:

I was driving it mostly in Eastern Europe, and infrastructure there is a bit lagging, at some places there are EV chargers but usually it's single stand that has Type2, CCS2 and CHAdeMo chargers.

CCS2 was constantly occupied, while type 2 was painfully slow, while CHAdeMO almost always was free.

So I'm wondering, if I would've had CHAdeMO to CCS2 adaptor I would've had have such problem, could've charge the car even at 17:00-19:00 when everyone at those locations (malls, shopping centres etc), so the question:

Can I get CHAdeMO to CCS2 adaptor that will work with the Tesla?

BTW just to clarify:
> CCS2 was constantly occupied, while type 2 was painfully slow

Type 2 was also occupied most of the time, it just if it wasn't occupied it would've made almost no sense, as it'll charge like 15% within an hour, while I'm doing some business in those locations, so still if I then need to travel far I'll need to go specifically to more powerful charging station anyways.

So it's busy but Type 2 doesn't solve the situation, even if it wasn't occupied.

I have better experience in Prague - there are few EVs but quite a lot of charging stations, so CCS2 is more often available as a mall can have like 4 CCS2 stands (not 1), and despite of the fact that I live in the apartment and not house, I can get a car in the morning, go to gym, charge on 100KW charger and when I finish training the car is at 100% and I can travel quite far without need to charge. If I travel west I have the same experience - I arrive at destination, park the car where there is also a charger, leave car parked while doing some business and while parked it charges, then travelling back - so in this case EV can be even more superior to gasoline cars as I don't waste time on gas stations, car is charging while parked.

But unfortunately it didn't work in eastern Europe, where I need, like with gasoline vehicle, to go some place where I can charge a car, sit and wait there for an hour, and have a high chance that the single CCS2 charger there will be occupied (or not working) and I'll need to either travel other place or wait until the car finishes charging etc.

Exactly like people who hates EV thinks charging nightmare looks like :)

But it looks like it could've worked if I can use a CHAdeMo adapter.

Last edited:
I don't think Chademo->CCS adapters exist.

Nissan Leaf owners are asking for opposite conversion (Leaf only has Chademo) but I don't think those are available either.

However if you have Tesla Model S or X, they natively have only type2 connector and then you can buy CCS and Chademo adapters separately. I have such setup, it's really nice to be able to use both. Chademo is often free when CCS is occupied.

However if you have Tesla Model S or X, they natively have only type2 connector and then you can buy CCS and Chademo adapters separately. I have such setup, it's really nice to be able to use both. Chademo is often free when CCS is occupied.
Can you please clarify on those?
I've ordered Tesla Model Y, brand new, so it'll be 2023
It looks like it'll have type2 connector, the one I've rented had this one:
jHmeXZu.jpg

then you can buy CCS and Chademo adapters separately

Can you please clarify - do you have the same charging port? And if so, what are adapters you're referring?

Also, I've found this:

But not sure, is it Chademo to Type2 ?!

Can you please clarify on those?
I've ordered Tesla Model Y, brand new, so it'll be 2023
It looks like it'll have type2 connector, the one I've rented had this one:
jHmeXZu.jpg

Can you please clarify - do you have the same charging port? And if so, what are adapters you're referring?

Also, I've found this:

But not sure, is it Chademo to Type2 ?!
When looking at your picture the top part (the type 2 ) in tesla S and X was used for AC and DC charging. With the Chademo adapter you could get fast DC charging. With CCS (Tesla 3Y etc and new tesla S/X) the top part is only used for AC charging and the two connectors at the bottom (that makes the whole thing CCS) for DC charging.
I think that if you buy an Tesla Chademo to Type 2 connector it will not work as this adapter thinks the Type 2 interface will be for DC charging while it is not anymore in the new Teslas.