Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chademo to type 2 adapter

I'm not sure that's compatible with Euro spec Model 3's. I think it's only useful for Model S/X owners in Europe since Model 3s over here have CCS as std but S/X currently don't. Chademo seems to be a dying standard, I think only Nissan are still using it on new cars.

It's the Betamax of charging standards in Europe.

I'm not sure that's compatible with Euro spec Model 3's. I think it's only useful for Model S/X owners in Europe since Model 3s over here have CCS as std but S/X currently don't. Chademo seems to be a dying standard, I think only Nissan are still using it on new cars.

It's the Betamax of charging standards in Europe.
Useful if you have v2g but yes pretty much a dying standard now

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
The CHAdeMO adapter that works with European S & X won't work with Model 3 because the Type-2 pins on the Model 3 can't carry DC. DC is only carried on the lower CCS pins. This is the same reason that the Type-2 Supercharger plugs won't work on Model 3. You must use the lower CCS pins to DC charge a Model 3 fitted with a CCS inlet. Obviously, North American, Japanese and Chinese vehicles have different vehicle inlets on Model 3 cars sold in those regions, so the statements above don't apply to those vehicles.

I hate to state the obvious, but if the CHAdeMO is only 6kW and is a simple AC to DC charger, not bidirectional V2x, then there's no point to using it with a Tesla car at all. Just use the AC connection from the CHAdeMO charger to fit a wall box. That should be cheaper than the CHAdeMO adapter anyway.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC