Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO without supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Simple question that I have never seen asked.

Do you have to pay for supercharger activation in order to use a CHAdeMO adapter and use a CHAdeMO DC charging station? I saw a thread with someone asking about a J1772 CCS adapter for the Tesla, and with the CCS stations spreading it made me wonder if paying for supercharger access is paying to have DC charging enabled, or can you do non-supercharger DC charging without enabling Supercharger charging?

Any non-supercharger enabled Model S owners (or tech experts) out there with an answer?

Keith

Just a word of caution, on a very small fraction of cars:
If you have a salvage/rebuilt Tesla and the mothership went in and disabled Supercharging access, they also disabled the ability to use the Chademo adapter as well. Fortunately, it looks as of late that Tesla has stopped turning off SpC access on the salvage cars, but this was standard fare for them up till at least the spring.

No you don't have to pay to enable Supercharging, but you do have to pay to enable the Fast DC charging hardware. (Which costs almost as much.)

And this only applies to original 60kWh Model Ss. If you have a 40kWh Model S you would have to pay to upgrade it to 60kWh before you could enable CHAdeMO or Supercharging.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I assume that a P90D or P100D the free access to the SpC network is still included with the purchase of these cars, correct?

Yes. Every Tesla built for the last year and a half includes free Supercharging.

It's only the original 60s and 40s that didn't get it included. Tesla sold access to Supercharging as an option either before or after delivery on the 60s, and didn't offer it on the 40s (which are actually software limited 60s and do have the hardware to supercharge, disabled.)

• Informative
So, you can pay for supercharging and a CHAdeMO adapter and have access to Superchargers AND CHAdeMO charging stations... or you can pay almost as much and only be able to use CHAdeMO....

I ask because of the Model 3, since supercharger access is speculated to be an added charge for the 3 I was wondering if CHAdeMO (or a CCS adapter, not yet available) would be a viable option.

Even though "technically" the answer is YES, Obviously the real answer is NO... even though the "no you don't have to pay for supercharger access to use CHAdeMO" was stated in this thread, you would have to be an idiot to only be CHAdeMO capable at nearly the same cost as full supercharger capable.

Keith

So, you can pay for supercharging and a CHAdeMO adapter and have access to Superchargers AND CHAdeMO charging stations... or you can pay almost as much and only be able to use CHAdeMO....

I ask because of the Model 3, since supercharger access is speculated to be an added charge for the 3 I was wondering if CHAdeMO (or a CCS adapter, not yet available) would be a viable option.

Even though "technically" the answer is YES, Obviously the real answer is NO... even though the "no you don't have to pay for supercharger access to use CHAdeMO" was stated in this thread, you would have to be an idiot to only be CHAdeMO capable at nearly the same cost as full supercharger capable.

Keith

You're making a lot of assumptions about what options Tesla will offer on a product they haven't released yet...

You might be right, or they might take a different approach. As far as I can tell, there's no point in worrying or guessing until the get around to announcing a plan.