Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought Tesla one in 2013 used maybe three times I would pass on getting one .. in the three times I used the station overheated and the charge speeds went down to L2 speeds ..save your money 😀unless u really need

If you have a 2019 or 2020, it does not have the hardware to use CCS chargers. You're stuck with ChadeMo. Just happened to me in Lawton, OK. The Hilton hotel there has both CCS and CHAdeMo, Nearest Tesla compatible charger was 70 miles away. I had to get towed now I'm buying the CHAdeMo. Just because it's "getting phased out" doesn't mean they're janking out the current chargers, especially were they're already merged with CCS stations. It absolute expands your range if you love road trips in your Tesla.

Reactions: buckets0fun
@Waltpi

Yes, having a CHAdeMO adapter during road trips can be very useful. I was recently up in Brookings, OR and the closest Supercharger was about 30 miles away in Crescent City, CA. However, there was a free CHAdeMO station in town that I used several times I was there. I'm slowly getting some of my money back for the nearly $500 adapter. Good luck finding one. The last time I checked on eBay there were several of the adapters but some of them were EU versions; not something we can use here in the USA.

@Waltpi

Good luck finding one. The last time I checked on eBay there were several of the adapters but some of them were EU versions; not something we can use here in the USA.
that's the problem I'm having now. Only real market is eBay. Most of them at $500 are from the EU. US ones are $1,000+!! I'm checking FB market places, Mercari, Craigslist, etc. setting up alerts for these searches at the moment. If any of you with a 2021+ model that can use CCS have an old bulky CHAdeMO please be a team player and sell it to one of us pre-2021 models that are stuck with the old hardware that can only take CHAdeMO and not fitted for CCS :(

Note that some EVgo charging stations with CHAdeMO also have Tesla charging. EVgo basically added the CHAdeMO to Tesla adapter, either by hanging it from a retracting wire on the side of the station, or putting the adapter behind the CHAdeMO holster with the Tesla adapter behind it and the Tesla cable coming out the other side. The image shows the latter type (the blue CHAdeMO plug is in a holster which is the adapter with the Tesla cable coming from the back of it).

red-tesla-charging-1540x700.jpg

So if the CHAdeMO charging stations are EVgo ones that have included CHAdeMO-to-Tesla adapters, you can use those without needing your own adapter.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and RayK
I have had a CHAdeMO adapter since 2019. I keep it in the boot along with a spare NEMA 1450 cable & plug. I've used it on occasion but favor the Tesla Superchargers. It's an expensive backup, about $450, but worth it if you need a DC Fast charge when you're out of range of a Supercharger. The CCS standard is not yet available for Teslas in the US. Too bad. That condition will have to change in the coming year or so. Tesla used to sell the CHAdeMO adapter but not sure they still do. It will probably go the way of eight track tapes once the CCS standard is available for Tesla. Try eBay or Amazon if you're really jones'n for one.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Hi, I wanted to ask if my mid 2019 model 3, does it support chademo or ccs fast charging ? Any one out here was able to charge using it. does tesla sell these adapters ?
CHAdeMO support for Model 3 became available somewhere around late 2018/early 2019 (memory is fogged; not sure of exact date right now but I can dive in the archives and find it later). An over-the-air software update provided CHAdeMO support so as long as your car is a 2020.xx.x version or later, you'll have CHAdeMO capability. At the moment, Tesla does not sell the CHAdeMO adapter so you'll have to go on the secondary market (eBay, Craigslist, etc.) to get one. You'll most likely pay a lot more than the $500 it previously cost

As far as CCS1 goes, I believe your mid 2019 3 does not have CCS1 support. A very large thread here has details for upgrading your non-CCS car to enable use of a Tesla CCS1 adapter. However, three things are required: 1) a new Gen4 charge port ECU, 2) a wiring adapter which allows your current charge port to be connected to the new Gen4 ECU, and 3) a CCS1-to-Tesla adapter, which is currently not available here in the USA. All of the details are in that thread but here's the TL;DR version: obtain the Gen4 ECU from Tesla Service (part 1537264-00-B), get your hands on the wiring adapter from falconsys on eBay and order the CCS1 adapter via harum.io, a South Korean shopping service that will buy the adapter on your behalf and ship it to you.

CHAdeMO is a dead standard. Even Nissan is discontinuing it. Unless you have a very specific need for a CHAdeMO adapter, I'd save my money and buy the Tesla CCS1 adapter when available in the US (soon) for $299 (rumored price).

The CHAdeMO adapters are not always in stock in the Shop. Secondary market might be your best bet for sourcing one (eBay, Craigslist, etc.). I bought mine several years ago and use it most times I charge the car (ChargePoint DCFC near me is cheaper than Supercharger).

edit: Or you could contact this member: Tesla CCS Adapter officially confirmed coming to US soon?

Mark aka @lUtriaNt from the TMC Podcast talks about buying the CCS Combo adapter from Tesla Korea via Delivered on the latest TMC Podcast #10 at around the 2:24 mark. You can also get the CHAdeMO adapter using this method.

Thread:

Youtube link (shows video of the adapter):

Tesla Korea Site (use Google Chrome and translate):

Deliverd service he used:

There's some hoops, but it doesn't seem that expensive if you don't want to wait. Perhaps you could do a Group Buy with your local forums.
I think he said it was around $247 + $15-20 shipping

1653682947492.png

Last edited:
Going by the photo you posted of the CHAdeMO adapter, 445,000 South Korean Won is about US$355 at the moment. So that's about $100 cheaper than what I paid for one 4 years ago. If $355 is the single-unit price and he said it was about $250, was that then for one piece from a group buy? And how many adapters were in that group?

Just curious. I'd only suggest people getting a CHAdeMO if: 1) they are in an area, or will be traveling through, that has more CHAdeMO stations than Superchargers, 2) the electricity cost for charging is comparable to Supercharging (on a $/kW basis), unless CHAdeMO is the only charging resource available, and 3) cost of the adapter is reasonable (meaning less than what Tesla used to sell them for).

For now, if people want to expand their charging choices beyond the Supercharger network, I'd say go with the CCS1 adapter from Korea. Latest cars (3/Y) should already be enabled with the proper Gen4 charge port ECU. Older 3s will need the wiring adapter that @FalconFour designed, along with said Gen4 ECU. There's certainly a lot more CCS1 stations than CHAdeMO now and it's probably going to be harder in the coming years to find a CHAdeMO connection.